Postal Station trash Cans...overflowing

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It seems ironic to me that people are complaining about people who put trash in a trash can. If the cans are overflowing, you either need more cans or you need to empty them more often.

Some people say that you are not even supposed to put junk mail in the trash cans. If that is true, why put 5 trash cans around the mail boxes where people pick up their junk mail? More than 90 percent of my mail is trash.
I called the district about removing the cans. Simply, they won't. They have a contract with a company that they pay, WE PAY, to clean the area and to remove the trash. So, don't complain about your fees and taxes when they increase when you are paying twice ( home and postal station) to pick up you trash.
Where I lived prior to moving here all state and county parks removed trash cans. It was carry in carry out. Guess what..they saved money and the parks were cleaner
Old 12-03-2020, 08:45 AM

From experience - the best way to totally avoid trash accumulation is to eliminate trash bins from mail stations. I have lived in many communities with mail stations. The ones with trash bins next to mail boxes ALWAYS get used as major trash dumps. The mail stations with NO trash bins provided have been TOTALLY void of any trash!! My recommendation - The Villages should NOT provide any trash bins at all at the mail stations - people will take their mail with them and depose at home or elsewhere!!! And money will be saved - no need to have resources come empty all the bins. If provided - people will abuse. At first I didn’t like the mail stations with no trash bins - but - it forced me to take my trash home and dispose of there! :-)
Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Get rid of the trash bins! No trash bins - no trash! People will take the trash with them - The Villages can use that money saved to do better things for our community!!!! Why should people complain if they have to take a few advertisements and flyers home to dispose of?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Public cans are used for all sorts of garbage. Visitors/renters are unaware of the garbage guidelines for trash pick up so they do what they believe is the next best thing- find a trash can. I know residents who use it to get rid of their smelly trash so they don’t have it laying around until garbage day.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:04 AM

I do not put my junk mail in the garbage can at the postal station. I do that at home. When I used to travel, I would put a grocery size bag of garbage in the cans when I left for my trip. I don't want to come home from a long vacation to the odor of garbage. Also, you could get bugs. I thought that was what the garbage cans were for, garbage. Does anyone know of a better place to put garbage before leaving on a long trip?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddfl View Post
I do not put my junk mail in the garbage can at the postal station. I do that at home. When I used to travel, I would put a grocery size bag of garbage in the cans when I left for my trip. I don't want to come home from a long vacation to the odor of garbage. Also, you could get bugs. I thought that was what the garbage cans were for, garbage. Does anyone know of a better place to put garbage before leaving on a long trip?
What if everyone did this??? Say, over any holiday......

do you think the cans would overflow>?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,888 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
I called the district about removing the cans. Simply, they won't. They have a contract with a company that they pay, WE PAY, to clean the area and to remove the trash. So, don't complain about your fees and taxes when they increase when you are paying twice ( home and postal station) to pick up you trash.
Where I lived prior to moving here all state and county parks removed trash cans. It was carry in carry out. Guess what..they saved money and the parks were cleaner
So, you called the district and talked to one person who gave you a ridiculous answer. Obviously, if you put trash cans anywhere, you need to pay someone to empty them. If you remove the cans, you no longer need to pay for the service. Is the district assuming that, without the cans, people will throw trash on the ground? If so, they need trash cans everywhere.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Postal Station garbage.
Why are people putting their garbage in the trash cans at the postal stations? Not all of it its unwanted Mail as bags of what ever is is hanging out the sides of the cans.
People can see the can is overflowing yet they leave their nwanted mail even on top of the can. More unwanted Mail is lying on the ground.
I picked it up and took it home so that the wind does not scatter it all over. Keep the The Villages beautiful. Is it so difficult to take and sort your Mail at home?
This happens a lot at the Buttonwood station. Not sure how the others are.
I don't know why two people have mentioned it recently. Are people returning to their snowbird homes and finding their mailbox full? It really doesn't seem to me to be a thing to be upset about at all. We live right across from our mail station and see a fellow in a black pick up come and pick up the trash at ours. He has a job, the trash is picked up and all ends well. Is this some kind of propaganda from some group? Some new movement?

WE are about to see a Pandemic end soon and we sit around and fuss about putting trash in trash cans? I have NEVER seen a mess at either of the postal stations we used here in The Villages. Why do people find stuff to complain about when there is so much that is positive....and much bigger things that are sad and angry making?

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-03-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:18 AM

Shouldn't be hard to track down the guilty parties.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Most people are stupid and selfish and it shows here. Keeping the postal service in cash is the problem. If it were a regular business it would need to be solvent. Our government at work wasting our money.
I'm confused now. How is using a trash can that is provided for...trash...stupid and selfish? I agree with previous posts. Remove the receptacles.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,888 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry van View Post
Shouldn't be hard to track down the guilty parties.
And, give them a stern talking to.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Default Simple fix

Quote:
Postal Station garbage.
Why are people putting their garbage in the trash cans at the postal stations? Not all of it its unwanted Mail as bags of what ever is is hanging out the sides of the cans.
People can see the can is overflowing yet they leave their nwanted mail even on top of the can. More unwanted Mail is lying on the ground.
I picked it up and took it home so that the wind does not scatter it all over. Keep the The Villages beautiful. Is it so difficult to take and sort your Mail at home?
This happens a lot at the Buttonwood station. Not sure how the others are.
Take away all the trash cans and post camera with sign notice trash leftovers littering is a 500.00 fine. Can easily match box to person and send bills in the mail. That should stop this stupid behavior.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:47 AM

Want a quick way to stop junk mail? Whenever I got junk mail with return address envelopes, I would tear up the contents stuff the envelope full of that content and a bunch of other junk mail. I would mail it back to them in the envelope saying no postage needed. I KNOW they had to pay extra postage as I stuffed the envelopes. I did all this when I was on leave for an injury and couldn’t do much.
Haven’t had much junk since, I think they got the message, no pun intended.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,857 Times in 3,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
a 500.00 fine. That should stop this stupid behavior.

Can we do that on ToTV????

Wait for it. Wait for it. Yep.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddfl View Post
Why not take your garbage to a rest area if you are going to travel? Problem solved.

Tags
mail, postal, station, cans, garbage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.