Question for those who moved to a smaller home

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
We have a designer with a huge yard and I want to downsize but my hubby doesn't. Our yard needs constant care. When we moved in over two years ago we spent $10,000 on landscaping; now we have to have the grass cut, fertilized, aerated, fed, as well as tons of pesticides poured on it. The sprinklers seem to need adjustment all the time. The shrubs need to be trimmed, flower beds planted each year and new mulch replaced each spring. I was a gardener up north but the Summer's are too hot for me to enjoy gardening. The whole shebang is expensive and tiresome. My dream home is a CYV where my little doggie can roam and I'll have a Koi pond with a very small patch of grass. There is a lot of freedom in decluttering and keeping things simple. Oh, we do have a lot of repeat company because we have made their stay here a first class hotel experience. That too makes me grumpy. OK I'm glad I got that off my chest.
D'sMom... I sooo agree with you. I bought a 2000sq ft+ designer because I thought I would have a lot of visitors from up north... Guess what,,, In 2 years, no one has come... so here I am, cleaning, weeding, fixing, painting, cleaning, weeding, fixing, painting.... My dream is to have a lovely corner lot CYV so the puppies and I can enjoy my life here in TV and not worry about cleaning and I can have more time for dancing and socializing...

I'm searching for one now but most of my friends think I won't be happy in a smaller place with no view. I'm willing to try it. Plus I think it will cut my expenses in 1/2.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

I too have to say that "down-sizing" is a freeing thing. I used to be a collector of "stuff" and when we bought here we down-sized by at least 1/2 the size of house. It was great fun to purge!!!

Once in a great while I will think we "need" some more space....for what?...to add more "stuff"?! Why do I want to do that...just so the kids can go through it and get rid of it?? We have a 3 b/r and it's adequate for company too. Our company isn't abundant and if it's too "comfortable" maybe they'll stay too long. My idea of entertaining has also "down-sized" over the years. I LOVE this retirement thing and my other 1/2 does as well. To have, is to maintain!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Sage

IMHO - Decluttering is a freeing experience. Less junk to deal with. I knew a person that had two hundred nic-nacks that she dusted almost every day. A full time job.

I know as I get older, I do not want to be bothered by having to clean the house to the total exclusion of having fun.

I would not buy a bigger house unless I was sure that people would be coming to stay.

I guess it is a decision based on your needs and what you are use to.

My vote is for less work and more time to play.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Platinum member

Part of the answer is how much of your current home do you use? Probably not every room every day.
Next think about what activities you would like to be in separate rooms in your new home. Maybe both you and your wife would like your own room for your hobbies etc. That room could have a couch that pulls out for a bed if you have company.
My guess is that a 3 bedroom home will meet your needs. Remember the main floor plan is open space so a separate private room maybe desirable. I would also look toward making the garage as large as possible and probably adding a few feet to the width of the rooms if possible.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful resonses. I guess its about time to start getting rid of alot of stuff.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Downsizing

Your decision depends on your lifestyle, full time vs seasonal resident, plans for free time party-hardy or homebody who likes gardening, etc.. We were among the unfortunates who looked in 2004 but did not buy unti 2005-l 2006 period. We wanted a premiere but found that the prices about doubled and then at those prices they were telling you what you were going to get. So we listed what we wanted in a house and what we intended to pay resulting in purchase of a designer 3/2. Based on my lifestyle, etc sorry that we didn't purchase premiere because it will cost us substantial to add the addition we desire and with that we are limited. If we were seasonal residents or even if we traveled more might think differently? I also wish I had known about Harbor Hills as the homes there offer so much more for the same or lower prices. We could move to another house I suppose but I won't take the loss. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Rubicon, I am not sure what you mean by you "wont take the loss" It doesn't map to what has happened in the market. If you bought a designer that was say 400K and the premier you wanted was 750K. There was a delta of 350K. Now you may only get 300K for your home, a 100K loss, however the Premier you wanted is now down to 550K so the difference is reduced by 200K. And if you look at the market, that is exactly what has happened. The higher end homes have dropped a larger % then the smaller homes. You total cost of buying today even though your current home is worth less, is lower today then it was a few years past. Might want to rethink that addition.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Veteran member

We moved here 3 1/2 years ago from a home over 7000 sq ft to a 1500 sq ft courtyard villa, which was great for a while and gave us the freedom of time to explore The Villages lifestyle without alot of home maintenance, and forced us, in a positive way, to 'purge' our life of alot of things we really didn't particularly need or want anymore, but which we had just kept due to inertia; and then we moved to a designer a few months ago both for more space and to a newer neighborhood. In about two-three years when most or all of the buildout is complete we will probably move again, into a premier, because even though it is true that it is a freeing thing to have less space to care for, now that we have settled into a more normal 'at home' life here, and have made a growing number of friends that we have over regularly, I do miss the roominess of a larger home, especially for entertaining and guests.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.