Round About Question- Yikes!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2023, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We were in a double- 2 lane round about, in the right lane. As I was about to pass a right hand turn and continue on in the round about, a driver next to me in the left lane made a sudden turn in front of me to exit the round about. I had to slam on the brake to avoid getting hit.

This started me thinking- If you are in the left lane of the round about you always run the risk that someone in the right lane will be in your way when it's time for your exit. Just because you have been passing right turns without taking them- someone just entering on the right could be in your way when you take the 3rd exit.

What am I missing? is there a way for someone in the right lane to avoid getting hit by a driver turning in from the left- or is it 100% trusting every driver in the left to not hit you? Seems like a crap shoot.

Thanks
1)Any vehicle in the roundabout before you are has right of way, to go left, right, or straight ahead, from any lane.
2)Never pass or overtake a vehicle in a roundabout (see rule 1 for reason why)
3)Assume all other drivers are demented homicidal lunatics, and drive defensively.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:55 PM

Real simple. Vehicle on your left always has the right of way. Expect them to exit at anytime and give them space to do it. If you hit them you would be at fault.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:34 PM

If you look at the white lines in the round-abouts, the right lane will have a solid white line leading to a dotted line going into the double lane gate entrance. The dotted line means the car in the left lane has the right of way, because you are changing lanes by going straight. Those lanes are only at exits that have double lanes. Make sure you are in front of the car in the left lane when you cross over the dotted line and have your turn signal on. The best thing to do is if you are going straight is to drive in the left lane.
Old 10-19-2023, 07:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,345 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonRich View Post
Real simple. Vehicle on your left always has the right of way. Expect them to exit at anytime and give them space to do it. If you hit them you would be at fault.
Not if both cars enter at the same time from 6. The car to your left is not supposed to exit at 3. He can exit at 12, 9, and 6 (if making a U turn).
Old 10-19-2023, 08:16 PM

Simply expect the vehicle in the inside lane to exit (cross in front of you in the outside lane) at any point. Therefore, never ride beside a vehicle on the inside lane. Stagger your car.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
We were in a double- 2 lane round about, in the right lane. As I was about to pass a right hand turn and continue on in the round about, a driver next to me in the left lane made a sudden turn in front of me to exit the round about. I had to slam on the brake to avoid getting hit.

This started me thinking- If you are in the left lane of the round about you always run the risk that someone in the right lane will be in your way when it's time for your exit. Just because you have been passing right turns without taking them- someone just entering on the right could be in your way when you take the 3rd exit.

What am I missing? is there a way for someone in the right lane to avoid getting hit by a driver turning in from the left- or is it 100% trusting every driver in the left to not hit you? Seems like a crap shoot.

Thanks
I use my right blinker to let people know I’m turning right, but I also make sure that I am either well forward of, or to the rear of anyone to my right. If in doubt, I go around again. The problem usually stems from someone entering immediately before my right exit. The blinker always seems to delay their entry.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
1)Any vehicle in the roundabout before you are has right of way, to go left, right, or straight ahead, from any lane.
2)Never pass or overtake a vehicle in a roundabout (see rule 1 for reason why)
3)Assume all other drivers are demented homicidal lunatics, and drive defensively.
No. 1 is completely wrong. A driver in the inside, No. 1 lane, is NOT allowed to turn out of the roundabout at his first exit. A driver in the inside, No. 1 lane can only turn out of the roundabout at his 2nd or 3rd exit.

No.'s 2 and 3 are advice to live by.
Old 10-20-2023, 02:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,549 Posts

The whole thread is absolutely hilarious!
So far 297 different ways to navigate a roundabout.
Still waiting for the first, " I find it easier to go round clockwise!"
Old 10-20-2023, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
bsloan....it's a CIRCLE. people need to realize that if they miss their exit, JUST GO AROUND again!!
Even though you can, you are not supposed to drive around the circle. It can cause accidents.

Before coming to a roundabout, you need to get into the correct lane. Just like when you are approaching any intersection.

If you want to take the right side street exit, you must be in the right lane.

If you want to take the left side exit or make a u turn, you must be in the left lane.

If you are in the correct lane before approaching the roundabout, there is no need to drive in circles. If you are driving in circles, you run the risk of being hit.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The whole thread is absolutely hilarious!
So far 297 different ways to navigate a roundabout.
Still waiting for the first, " I find it easier to go round clockwise!"
That happens more than you think, we see it once a week. Reason, why would I go all the way around when I can just turn left quicker.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
That happens more than you think, we see it once a week. Reason, why would I go all the way around when I can just turn left quicker.
I have not seen anyone driving clockwise in the roundabouts. Thanks to you, I will expect it!

Is it really that much shorter than doing it correctly? I really don't see the point.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
No. 1 is completely wrong. A driver in the inside, No. 1 lane, is NOT allowed to turn out of the roundabout at his first exit. A driver in the inside, No. 1 lane can only turn out of the roundabout at his 2nd or 3rd exit.

No.'s 2 and 3 are advice to live by.
Believe that was meant to be a defense strategy: assume the other guy feels entitled to take the right of way and “don’t try to stop me!!”
Old 10-20-2023, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Thanks
The rule I use is Inside lane - be in front of the next car outside lane - be behind the next car....works like a charm
Old 10-20-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You may disagree, but you are absolutely wrong. The RBs work perfectly when drivers follow the rules. There is no crossing in front of or cutting off as long as no one:
a) follows the rule of which exit they can take from which lane and
b) More importantly, no one enters the RB with traffic coming IN EITHER LANE
Sorry, but consider ALL traffic and then discover the problem with the driving diagrams and the faulty advice and criticism G.E. gives.

Let me demonstrate how cars crash.

Let's start with no other vehicles anywhere except for 2 cars arriving at a RAB. Each one wants to travel half way through the RAB and exit. Red car comes in at 6:00 and exits at 12:00. Blue car comes in at 3:00 and exits at 9:00.

Red car is in the left lane and they are the first car to enter RAB, and goes into the inner lane of the RAB. Starts going around. (driving diagrams show driving line allowing a "straight through" route)
Blue car arrives next, and sees red car, and waits until red car is passing. Blue enters the outer lane of the RAB. (driving diagrams show driving line allowing a "straight through" route)

At 12:00 spot, red car attempts to exit. Directly in front of path of blue car. Crash happens.

Both cars are following the routes shown on published diagrams for lane use.
Cars entered when lanes were 100% clear.
Neither car is next to each other.
Neither crossed any white lines.
Both cars followed every sign diagram.
Both cars followed every lane marking arrows.

Yet, they crash.
Those diagrams fail to account for traffic entering and exiting from all 4 roads. Blindly assuming that following those travel paths is foolish. That is the problem most people fail to comprehend.
This example is for just two cars. Expand that to a lot of cars, each person following their own version of what to do.

So never be next to another car. Always expect them to turn in front of your path and leave a lot of space to stop.
Oddly, that effectively reduces lane usage to one lane. Exactly the same thing I said by mandating outside lane must exit at the next road after they enter - no going to the second road. Only one lane is allowed to go past side roads. By forcing one lane, crash potentials are drastically reduced. Since the "expert" advice spaces cars into the equivalent of one lane, it's not going to slow anything down.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,005 Times in 4,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Sorry, but consider ALL traffic and then discover the problem with the driving diagrams and the faulty advice and criticism G.E. gives.

Let me demonstrate how cars crash.

Let's start with no other vehicles anywhere except for 2 cars arriving at a RAB. Each one wants to travel half way through the RAB and exit. Red car comes in at 6:00 and exits at 12:00. Blue car comes in at 3:00 and exits at 9:00.

Red car is in the left lane and they are the first car to enter RAB, and goes into the inner lane of the RAB. Starts going around. (driving diagrams show driving line allowing a "straight through" route)
Blue car arrives next, and sees red car, and waits until red car is passing. Blue enters the outer lane of the RAB. (driving diagrams show driving line allowing a "straight through" route)

At 12:00 spot, red car attempts to exit. Directly in front of path of blue car. Crash happens.

Both cars are following the routes shown on published diagrams for lane use.
Cars entered when lanes were 100% clear.
Neither car is next to each other.
Neither crossed any white lines.
Both cars followed every sign diagram.
Both cars followed every lane marking arrows.

Yet, they crash.
Those diagrams fail to account for traffic entering and exiting from all 4 roads. Blindly assuming that following those travel paths is foolish. That is the problem most people fail to comprehend.
This example is for just two cars. Expand that to a lot of cars, each person following their own version of what to do.

So never be next to another car. Always expect them to turn in front of your path and leave a lot of space to stop.
Oddly, that effectively reduces lane usage to one lane. Exactly the same thing I said by mandating outside lane must exit at the next road after they enter - no going to the second road. Only one lane is allowed to go past side roads. By forcing one lane, crash potentials are drastically reduced. Since the "expert" advice spaces cars into the equivalent of one lane, it's not going to slow anything down.
And once again, that is WRONG!!!! My advice is NOT faulty and my criticism of bad drivers is valid. Once again, this thread demonstrates that probably 1/2 of the drivers are clueless as to the proper method of navigating a RB, the post I'm responding to is a perfect example.

In the scenario he describes, the only way a crash happens at 12:00 is if the car entering the RB at 3:00 does not allow the car in the inner lane to pass far enough ahead, or enters and speeds around faster than the car in the inner lane. The fault is entirely upon the driver entering the RB at 3:00, NOT the design of the RB and NOT the car in the inner lane. Once again, this is not rocket science
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, round, hit, driver, exit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.