Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 PM
Sage

The Villages Florida

Multi-lane Roundabout
I found it on the same site. click here

Is this what we have?
Modern is not my definition. And maybe this also would be considered modern.

I really haven't studied it the way someone who does this for a living would. It just seems to me that one lane may slow traffic down and be less confusing. This would make it safer.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage

Another thought

I guess I only took into consideration car drivers. Emergency vehicles and business people have different needs and faster instead of slower my save someone's life or at least keep the trucks moving.

So I guess I just went around the Modern Circle of thought. whew
Old 01-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There are signs at the entrances to all roundabouts...............Read them!
There are arrows on the pavement that seem pretty clear to me......and pretty universal.....I still don't understand why people make them so difficult.....treat it like a 4 way intersection....aside from the occasional collision most navigate the intersections at BV and Morse and 466A pretty well....wait, they have arrows telling you which way to go......so do the RABS

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast;1004373 As for trying to turn left and then scramble to get into the Resident's lane for the gate coming up, that, too has been discussed at length:

[U
Forget about the Resident's lane at that type of entrance, and use the Visitor lane[/U] so you can safely stay in the same lane in which you came 3/4 of the way around the circle. Both Visitor and Resident lanes have the gate card readers and the red button to raise the gate.
Thanks and I will try that upon my return next weekend although I hate to have the nice gate guard get up from their seat every time I go through using the visitor gate.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Thanks and I will try that upon my return next weekend although I hate to have the nice gate guard get up from their seat every time I go through using the visitor gate.
Many (most?) visitor gates have card readers to activate the gate. If not though, it is still safer to stay in the left lane like your instincts tell you. I don't think your gate guard will mind at all.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
There is no way to exit the roundabout from the inside lane without crossing over the outside lane. Going in the visitor's gate still necessitates you to cross over the outside lane.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
What sunny said.
Ditto
Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
There is no way to exit the roundabout from the inside lane without crossing over the outside lane. Going in the visitor's gate still necessitates you to cross over the outside lane.
Of course that's true. But that does not constitute a lane change. Going from the inside lane in the roundabout to the left (visitor) lane is a simple continuation of your lane to exit the circle as intended. If you head to the right (resident) lane, your are making a lane change and could conflict with a simple right turn from the outside lane. Any possible conflict with through traffic on the outside lane must be avoided in the same manner that is always required...caution and awareness.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Veteran member

Look over there!!

It's a snow bird, riding a bike while saving a seat and their dog poops!!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=Bogie Shooter;1004361]There are signs at the entrances to all roundabouts...............Read them!
QUOTE]

Reading the signs doesn't do any good. If anything, they make navigating the circles more confusing.

The painted lines belie what the signs say. According to the lines, you can change lanes within the circles.
The signs indicate you stay in either the inside or outside lane without a lane change.
In addition, not all painted lines are the same within all the circles.

It's no wonder no one drives them the same way!

Last edited by Moderator; 02-01-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Maybe a better idea is for someone to contact the Daily Sun and request they run a HUGE good driving campaign on the front page. This would also need to be re-run around March 1st or 2nd when the new wave of seasonals come in. And, continue to run it on occasion, throughout the year for newbies and some of the residents who still don't get the round-abouts. Just my thoughts ...
Until such time as the signs and painted lines on the street agree with one another, you could run an ad every day and it would be meaningless.

In addition, we have too many people, too many circles and at least half of us will die before such time as we all drive them the same way.

Last edited by Moderator; 02-01-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Excellent advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
It's been discussed at length on TOTV about the fact that the county highway engineers required the 2-lane roundabouts, because of the high volume of traffic that needs to keep moving.

As for trying to turn left and then scramble to get into the Resident's lane for the gate coming up, that, too has been discussed at length:

Forget about the Resident's lane at that type of entrance, and use the Visitor lane so you can safely stay in the same lane in which you came 3/4 of the way around the circle. Both Visitor and Resident lanes have the gate card readers and the red button to raise the gate.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
But, that exercise helps keep him healthy!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Look over there!!

It's a snow bird, riding a bike while saving a seat and their dog poops!!
Bashing snow birds is no longer an intelligent activity................
Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Until such time as the signs and painted lines on the street agree with one another, you could run an ad every day and it would be meaningless.

In addition, we have too many people, too many circles and at least half of us will die before such time as we all drive them the same way.
How many deaths have there been in The Villages roundabouts?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.