Roundabouts

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,674
Thanks: 220
Thanked 903 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We've been driving them for years like that, and it's eazy peazy. There's a merge down to one lane, enter the RAB, take exit of your choice. No decisions to make... it's all laid out for you.
You'd just have to decide what to do with all the time on your hands while you await your turn to go through the roundabout.
  #92  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:21 PM
red tail red tail is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rio Grande Designer Villas of De Laguna
Posts: 1,125
Thanks: 39
Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Simple solution. Make one of the lanes a toll lane, and nobody would ever use it.
unless they had a coupon...
  #93  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Mikeod's Avatar
Mikeod Mikeod is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 5,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 48 Times in 26 Posts
Default

People. The multi lane roundabouts were a requirement for TV to grow. They will not be converted to a single lane. Navigating them is easy. All one has to do is look at the signs that are placed before the RAB. It clearly defines what a vehicle in each lane can do. Once in the RAB, continue to the exit allowed by the lane you were in entering. Right lane for right turn or straight, left lane for straight, left turn (3/4 around), or U turn. Ignore lane markings within the RAB except to stay in your lane. There is no way the lane markings can be accurate since each driver is entering from a different point. Your entry lane determines your path around the RAB.
__________________
"the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
  #94  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes it should be simple, and yes, the people should read the signs, but they don't. If they did, we wouldn't even be having this discussion for the umpteenth time. So simply stating read the signs and drive accordingly is not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Navigating them is easy. All one has to do is look at the signs that are placed before the RAB.
Posting instructions on TOTV doesn't make people drive roundabouts any more safely. Signs don't do the trick either.
I do enjoy these roundabout threads though. It temporarily diverts the attention away from dog poop threads.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #95  
Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM
spring_chicken spring_chicken is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
How many deaths? I have no idea, but there are accidents caused by people who don't know how to drive around these circles.

Judging by the number of ongoing threads and posts on this subject tells you that everyone drives them differently and therein lies the problem.
Everyone drives everything differently. The number of ongoing threads on this subject is due to the fact that everyone on this board always does it the right way and then reports to the message board every time they see someone do it the wrong way!
  #96  
Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,270
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,958 Times in 914 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Everyone drives everything differently. The number of ongoing threads on this subject is due to the fact that everyone on this board always does it the right way and then reports to the message board every time they see someone do it the wrong way!
There are many threads on roundabouts. If you go back and look at the posters, most are repeat customers. Espousing the same opinions over and over.
Seldom are there new posters offering any different opinions. So, how does all this posting ever accomplish changing anyones behavior?
Even a newcomer to TV/TOTV must find it amusing/confusing in reading the same differing opinions on "how to" the roundabouts.
BTW, why would anyone continue to suggest that the solution is single lane roundabouts? In their wildest dreams can they envision the county spending that kind of money?
Keep posting...............its amusing.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #97  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:01 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,949
Thanks: 367
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts
Default

Glad you're enjoying it, Bogie!
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #98  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Walter123 Walter123 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 924
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There are many threads on roundabouts. If you go back and look at the posters, most are repeat customers. Espousing the same opinions over and over.
Seldom are there new posters offering any different opinions. So, how does all this posting ever accomplish changing anyones behavior?
Even a newcomer to TV/TOTV must find it amusing/confusing in reading the same differing opinions on "how to" the roundabouts.
BTW, why would anyone continue to suggest that the solution is single lane roundabouts? In their wildest dreams can they envision the county spending that kind of money?
Keep posting...............its amusing.
Wow Bogie, That's the most I ever saw you write. I agree with you. It seems everyone on these threads know how to navigate roundabouts. Maybe a campaign outside of TOTV is the answer so everyone else knows too.
BTW, my favorite roundabout is Morse and Stillwater where everyone goes 3/4 around on the outside lane so they can catch the bypass before the bridge. If you do it right you most certainly have to cut someone off to get to the bypass. Idiots.
  #99  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 AM
outlaw outlaw is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
First hand where? Maybe at a location with low traffic volumes, single lane approach streets, etc.. Specifics matter. You certainly haven't experienced it in TV.

If you're talking about nothing but some signs and paint, that means your plan is to simply merge existing traffic on Morse and BV into a single lane at or before each circle?! With all due respect, that would be a disaster and...thankfully...will never happen.
I pretty much gave you specifics in my first post. The paint at Sumter Landing seems to work without disaster? My first hand experience was similar conditions to TV, and, yes, the merging lanes were accomplished with just good old paint.
  #100  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Average Guy Average Guy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 350
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Wow Bogie, That's the most I ever saw you write. I agree with you. It seems everyone on these threads know how to navigate roundabouts. Maybe a campaign outside of TOTV is the answer so everyone else knows too.
BTW, my favorite roundabout is Morse and Stillwater where everyone goes 3/4 around on the outside lane so they can catch the bypass before the bridge. If you do it right you most certainly have to cut someone off to get to the bypass. Idiots.
I have also noticed that nearly everyone uses the outside lane when going 3/4 of the way around the roundabout to go from Stillwater to northbound on Morse. What I find amusing about that is that it seems like the drivers feel they must use the bypass on Morse to save some precious time. The time saved though is certainly less than 10 seconds!
  #101  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 AM
memason's Avatar
memason memason is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Villages
Posts: 2,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
I have also noticed that nearly everyone uses the outside lane when going 3/4 of the way around the roundabout to go from Stillwater to northbound on Morse. What I find amusing about that is that it seems like the drivers feel they must use the bypass on Morse to save some precious time. The time saved though is certainly less than 10 seconds!
Going through the RAB is normally faster than the bypass at that location...
  #102  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Jgg7933 Jgg7933 is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 100k + people = some minor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy;100***4
Even though we all received brochures on how to navigate the roundabouts, there is still much confusion. I spoke with a very nice gentleman at our postal box today who, I observed, proceeded to go 3/4 of the way around a roundabout, however was in the right, outside lane when he entered the gate. According to all the literature, brochures, You Tube videos, he should have been in the left, inside lane.

The posted diagrams and yield signs do not seem to be sufficient for many drivers. Now that the snowbirds are back, the problem seems to be getting worse.

I believe that one solution would be to have worded signs along with the diagrams. One sign should say, "Vehicles in the roundabouts have the Right Of Way". Another sign should say, "Vehicles making a left hand turn (going 3/4 around) MUST be in the left hand lane and vehicles making a right hand turn MUST be in the right hand lane".

I have no idea what it would cost to do this or even who is responsible for doing it. However, I certainly feel that the cost would be worth it if there were fewer accidents.

I must be "very Lucky (or blessed)". We are here over 5 years and have not encountered any serious issues with navigating the roundabouts. I do drive defensively and pay close attention to my surroundings while driving though when approaching these roundabouts! Whenever you have the number of people in a city that use 2 main roads (Morse and Buena Vista) almost daily their will be an issue from time to time regardless of the design!
  #103  
Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,674
Thanks: 220
Thanked 903 Times in 368 Posts
Default Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
I pretty much gave you specifics in my first post. The paint at Sumter Landing seems to work without disaster? My first hand experience was similar conditions to TV, and, yes, the merging lanes were accomplished with just good old paint.
Are you referring to the tiny 1-lane stretch on the north part of the circle? That's only there because there is no through traffic east and west, and Lake Sumter Landing has a single west-bound lane. It's in effect a dedicated left turn lane for the northbound traffic on Morse heading into Lake Sumter.

The only 2 lane through movement (Morse) remains 2 lanes through the roundabout. The short painted segment north of the circle is paralleled by the bypass lane...still 2 northbound lanes for Morse through the roundabout.

If we're talking about the feasibility of single lane roundabouts around the entire circle, this is not an example.
  #104  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM
spd2918's Avatar
spd2918 spd2918 is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 48
Thanked 40 Times in 14 Posts
Default

My northern city is preparing to open its first multiple lane roundabout. As a police officer I am not looking forward to all the crash reports that are coming. The intersection will be on a through highway with lots of out of town travelers. Most of these travelers will have no idea what to do.
  #105  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 AM
spd2918's Avatar
spd2918 spd2918 is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 50
Thanks: 48
Thanked 40 Times in 14 Posts
Default

I recently visited The Bubble and I did not realize I had to yield to BOTH lanes in the circle. It makes sense now because I know the inside lane car might be exiting to my right.

This is the only circumstance I know of when a turning car must yield to a lane beyond its own intended lane. Thus the confusion.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.