Save our springs

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2022, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,352 Times in 5,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Right! Everyone definitely should have signed a petition against sink holes.
Very true no fun to wake up in your bed 50 foot below ground.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,711 Times in 3,183 Posts

Quote:
Right! Everyone definitely should have signed a petition against sink holes.
Or maybe they should've wondered if the developer or construction company had considered that this -is- sinkhole alley, and special supports or different standards applied when creating the retention ponds or installing the pipes under the ground.

I'm not talking about the natural sinkholes. I'm talking about the sinkholes caused by substandard retention pond liners years ago, and the sinkholes caused by not properly supporting the pipes in the ground of property that was known to be at high risk of sinkholes.

Sort of like - if you live on the edge of the beach in an area known for excessive tides during storms, and the construction company puts basements under all the houses - and no one questions that - then that's what they get for not questioning it.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Or maybe they should've wondered if the developer or construction company had considered that this -is- sinkhole alley, and special supports or different standards applied when creating the retention ponds or installing the pipes under the ground.

I'm not talking about the natural sinkholes. I'm talking about the sinkholes caused by substandard retention pond liners years ago, and the sinkholes caused by not properly supporting the pipes in the ground of property that was known to be at high risk of sinkholes.

Sort of like - if you live on the edge of the beach in an area known for excessive tides during storms, and the construction company puts basements under all the houses - and no one questions that - then that's what they get for not questioning it.
Do you have any proof that any of the sinkholes were caused by the developer or could have been prevented? All of Florida is at high risk for sinkholes and I do not think anyone can predict or prevent them. Is the developer also responsible for lightning strikes because nothing was done to prevent them?
Old 05-01-2022, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,453 Times in 2,432 Posts

Quote:

I keep forgetting.....what was your previous user name?
Old 05-01-2022, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I keep forgetting.....what was your previous user name?
You mean the user name under which I posted asking about sinkholes and was told it was not a big deal, that's what insurance was for and if your house sinks just move to a new one? The one under which I expressed concern about this non-chalant attitude of people who never question authority and just blithely obey and smile and assume everything is perfect - until it isn't? That user name?

It's irrelevant. My opinion hasn't changed.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Do you have any proof that any of the sinkholes were caused by the developer or could have been prevented? All of Florida is at high risk for sinkholes and I do not think anyone can predict or prevent them. Is the developer also responsible for lightning strikes because nothing was done to prevent them?
Er - this is old news. It's pretty common knowledge. The retention ponds in some of the areas were lined improperly and caused leakages and damage to the pipes and subsequent sink holes. They were repaired, and the new retention ponds are now lined properly.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Very true no fun to wake up in your bed 50 foot below ground.
Just think of it as additional basement storage!

-Tom Petty
Old 05-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Er - this is old news. It's pretty common knowledge. The retention ponds in some of the areas were lined improperly and caused leakages and damage to the pipes and subsequent sink holes. They were repaired, and the new retention ponds are now lined properly.
Common knowledge is just gossip. Nowhere did I see any proof that it was because the ponds were lined improperly. Unless you can provide proof of this it is just unsubstantiated allegations.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,453 Times in 2,432 Posts

Quote:
You mean the user name under which I posted asking about sinkholes and was told it was not a big deal, that's what insurance was for and if your house sinks just move to a new one? The one under which I expressed concern about this non-chalant attitude of people who never question authority and just blithely obey and smile and assume everything is perfect - until it isn't? That user name?

It's irrelevant. My opinion hasn't changed.
Nah, a few years back……
Old 05-01-2022, 04:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,352 Times in 5,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Just think of it as additional basement storage!
Nah
Closed Thread

Tags
springs, heard, spanish, town, square

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.