Scanning Your TV ID card.

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Scanning Your TV ID card.

We need an "I disagree" goodie. Personally, I hate anything that smacks of Big Brother. I tolerate it because I have no choice but, whenever possible, I'll go the route that denies any entity to get excess or unnecessary information.

Yes, the government does need to know how much we have earned from sources besides ourselves since some people are a bit (?) more dishonest than others for tax purposes. No, the government does not need to know what I am doing with my funds so long as I give it its fair share.

The highway commission really doesn't need to know what turnpikes I am taking. They only need to know that I am paying my share. They can count the cars without going into specifics.

Airports do need to be sure you're not carrying illegal items and I do agree they need to be extra careful for those on their terrorist lists. They don't need my life history or my address. I have as much right to fly if I'm homeless or live in the White House.

TV does have a right to know that its facilities are being used by those who are authorized to use the same. If scanning prevents someone from using a counterfeit card, I'd probably be a little more happy in having my card scanned. However, I'm not convinced it would make a bit of difference. What is an employee to do if the scanner beeps obnoxiously? Say, oh, gee, you can't enter? Or is the employee more than likely to say there's something wrong the scanner, enjoy yourself?

So, as I've said, I will tolerate the invasion of my privacy because I truly have no choice, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and I will certainly do what I can to avoid those invasions whenever possible.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Sage

Jan - I'm ok with scanning but i think your bias against the 'developer' (albeit for good reasons) comes through loud and clear sometimes. But of course you do have the right to express any opinion that you feel is valid. Those of us that the read the posts and gather all the information can make up our own minds. I don't think anyone is saying that opinions can't be expressed or intends to shout down any poster.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Yes, redwitch, My point exactly.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Another Anecdote From Last Week's RAC Meeting

During the RAC Meeting there was discussion between the developer, the head of VCCDD and the head of the Recreation Department regarding non-residents using our pools. The head of the Rec Department explained that in the interest of cost control, many pools were only spot-checked by personnel using the new electronic scanners to verify proper ID's when they visited. He went on to explain that the "illegals" seem to know when the rec representative was approaching the pool and jump into the water. They know that the policy of the Recreation Department is not to require swimmers to exit the pools in order to have their identity cards scanned. The illegals are "safe" so long as they stay in the water while the rep is there.

One of the more aggressive RAC members suggested that maybe all swimmers should be required to exit the water in order to have ID's checked. He went on to suggest that if swimmers didn't have an ID or had a forged ID, that they be ejected from the pool.

The Recreation head very politely opined that employees of the department tried very hard to act consistent with our "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" logo. He went on to explain that if the Rec Department personnel required swimmers to exit the pool and then attempted to eject those not properly credentialed, that Neighborhood or Village Watch or even the county sheriff might be required to enforce that type of action. He explained that from his prior experience with such policies that situations almost always become very confrontational and sometimes even violent. The RAC member quickly backed off his suggestion.

What I'm suggesting is that scanning the new bar-coded Resident ID's is an easy and effective way to assure the security of our rec facilities to only the residents that pay for them. The regular use of the ID's sets a tone for those who might consider unauthorized use of facilities. Maybe it even discourages unauthorized use when no scan is conducted upon entry to a pool, rec center, pickleball court, etc. I know they've even begun to check ID's for people attending club meetings. The popularity of the more than 1,000 clubs available to residents is straining the capacity of the rec centers. So the rec department is beginning to enforce the rule that club participants be residents of The Villages.

Personally, I think we're all required to provide electronic information that is far more intrusive into our personal affairs than the simple scanning of a Resident ID by a Recreation Department representative. We're arguing about it here because we can argue about it. When our personal information is captured when we use a credit card, an ATM card, use an EasyPass on the tollway or any other electronically-viewable form of ID, we quietly succomb to the personal intrusion because we have no choice. I humbly submit that a request to scan a Villages ID is potentially far less intrusive than other forms of electronic ID and it goes a long way towards maintaining the lifestyle we all moved here to enjoy.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote from Kahuna, "I humbly submit that a request to scan a Villages ID is potentially far less intrusive than other forms of electronic ID and it goes a long way towards maintaining the lifestyle we all moved here for." Well said Kahuna and I agree 100%.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Kahuna, You are exactly right,
The card contains no information ,(none) (zippo) it only reads your number to a computer (not the MAIN computer) and the card computer has all the numbers listed , If your number is scanned and its in the good column, the scanner beeps.......If its bad it doesn't beep, Its a yes and no situation and thats all , If you try to get into a dance class and your an Arthur Murray Loser, You won't get in ....Its just that simple ,
I do NOT agree with talk host on this one.....If your going to play this game, You've got to know the rules.....
Fumar
Old 01-14-2008, 12:53 AM

Your not exactly right, but close. At the gates the card is just read, Its go or no go. I don't think any information is pulled at all, Other cards made by HID that return the same frequency will work to open the gates. (don't ask) I don't know about the facilities, but I know it works at the gates.

gary

Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by English
If you think your information cannot go beyond TV use for residents, you are very naive. I don't mean that sarcastically. But you have to realize any time you give out personal information, it will more than likely not end at the place it started.

Class Action lawsuit is ridiculous in the sense that once the information leaves, by the time you or anyone else realizes it, you will never be able to find out who/what/where, etc. Also, it most cases, it is not illegal to sell lists of information.

So, last time. Guard your personal information. You have to be good stewards for yourself. Do not be sheep.
Do you have any proof of TV management selling or giving away any personal information for which they do not have authorization?

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Veteran member

Check out www.earthcam.com
We are being watched in so many places by so many people it's beyond Big Brother.
TV ID should be the least of our worries.
Especially those of us on a computer - 'cookies'
Just ;D and bear it and carefull where you scratch :redface:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The more I read the more curious I become. I guess I do not know what "invasion of privacy" means. Sounds rather ominous....INVASION. From the dictionary:

1: an act of invading; especially : incursion of an army for conquest or plunder
2: the incoming or spread of something usually hurtful

Based on the definition the term is inappropriate and is used for emotional appeal than reality leading to a concept to that usually winds up being debated as a principal, pro or con.

Mission accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The so called INVASIONS reported by the media are statiscally insignificant (meaning so low in number it doesn't come close to affecting the majority). By the way, those INVADED usually turn out to be the kind of folks you don't want living next door or in TV!!!!!!! (I think that is good).

The beauty of free speech....we do not have to agree....and those of us in the not so silent minority get to enjoy our freedom much much more than the silent majority.

BTK

Old 01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Gold member

Fumar:
Curious, where did you get the information that the scanner simply goes to a dedicated database and is only capable of recognizing your standing? I was told, by the Rec Center receptionist it was programmed only for a head count. So, I wonder which function is correct? :dontknow: :dontknow:

BTK: from your post:
"The beauty of free speech....we do not have to agree....and those of us in the not so silent minority get to enjoy our freedom much much more than the silent majority."

If we all followed the rules and never objected, we would be part of an excruciatingly boring society.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Sage

Beady - I agree with challenging the rules but we need to pick our battles. Scanning an ID card to get access to something that is badged seems reasonable enough. Exactly what information would you think the developer could gleam from this? And how could they ever use that against you? Small potatoes in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM

The counterfit ring is a upsetting. Is there a plan in place to eliminate the illegal operation? Is there anything that can be do to prevent these illegal cards? Pictures on the cards will not work since it is easy to do with a computer.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

ID cards are supposed to be scanned every time you enter a recreation center or any facility which is limited to Village residents. It is to ensure that ONLY Village residents are using the facility. It is for our protection and to ensure that we are not incurring any cost for people who are not eligible who are using the facilities. Hope you come to understand and accept this. It really isn't such a bad thing, just a pain in the neck from time to time.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.