Scary Roundabout Story

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Scary Roundabout Story

I'm not referring to the physical size as being inadequate to exit from the inside lanes, I'm saying in my opinion that for people not used to roundabouts, the exit from the inside lane creates a danger that's unnecessary.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway
Simple roundabout rules:

Right lane to turn right or continue straight.
Left lane to continue straight, make left turn or continue around.

If you are in the right lane and continue around the roundabout you are
in effect making a left turn from the right lane something you would never think
of doing on a regular straight road, so why is a roundabout any different.

This idea of staying in the right lane all the time know matter where you are
going is wrong and a disaster waiting to happen.

Thats exactly how it should be done PERIOD. Now pass it on to the dummies who don't get it and save some lives.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 AM

I have also been told by a Sumter County Deputy Sheriff who resides in the Villages that his recommended way to negotiate the roundabouts is to stay in the outside lane and not to change into the inside lane and back into the outside lane to exit. These roundabouts are too small in diameter to change lanes in these small roundabouts. I have driven through many roundabouts in England, Ireland, Germany and France. I even experienced the terror of driving in the roundabout around the Arc de Triumph in Paris. These roundabouts are sustantially larger and one must change lanes to accommodate the heavy traffic involved. If cars stayed in one lane then traffic would back up for miles getting into and out of the roundabouts. We do not have this type of volume going into our Villages roundabouts. Use of the inside lane is not necessary for cars. This is why the Deputy Sheriff recommended to stay in the outside lane.

I have been told the only reason there is an inside lane on our roundabouts is to provide adequate turning clearance for large trucks. I have a 35 ft. class A motor home and I can confirm that if the center lane was not there, I could not successfully turn into the roundabout or turn out of the roundabout without the space provided by the inside lane and the double lane exiting the roundabout. I would hit the curb. Ray
Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 AM

Ray B with respect, What you have been told is wrong and goes against every roundabout use guideline worldwide.

There is only 1 correct way to use a 2 lane Roundabout (see: Quote from rockaway)

If the inner lane was for trucks then according to roundabout design the lane would be a raised truck apron, i can see why with your motorhome you may need to encroach on both lanes and i am sure you do this wth care but this is not the reason that the lane was put there.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

rekops and ABC
Why don't you contact the Marion County sherifs dept. who's job it is to police the roundabouts north of 466. As you have been told many times on this thread , They are instructing people that in these small roundabouts to stay in the ourside lane when driving in and out . Anyone who is in the inside lane and crosses in front of another car and causes an accident will be ticketed....End of story, The Deputy's of Marion County don't give a d--- about London or Boston, They support local law enforcement including traffic and we will follow what they say or receive a violation which carries a $280.00 fine . Now you can argue with them if you want to , but I'm going to enter and exit the right lane....Now let me know if you need this in Larger Print ....
Old 01-23-2008, 03:17 AM

Absolutely Correct. It is the only sensible thing to do. Stay in the outside lane and watch very carefully for those who risk being t boned by cutting in front of you to exit. RayB
Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 AM

I agree, to be safe, everyone should stay in the right lane. But even better, we should all straddle the center line, to discourage others from using the left lane and cutting us off when they exit.

Whatever happened to the plan to paint over all the roundabout lines to eliminate the 2nd lane, as reported a few months ago?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm with rockaway and bubbalarry on this one, I too have driven in the UK and other states here in the US with roundabouts and the way rockaway decribes it is the way it should be done.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I GIVE UP !!!!!!!!

EXASPERATED FUMAR
Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 AM
Sage

Why is there a roundabout on Morse just south of 466 before the Lake Sumter bridge?
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

the great fumar,

I'm with you.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM

If you study the way the lines are painted in the "rotarys" and the approaching lanes it is obvious how to drive them.....the right way. Inside lane for "through" and "rotating" traffic,
right lane for right turns to immediate right and right land on continuing "through" roadway.

Sheesh!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain1202
If you study the way the lines are painted in the "rotarys" and the approaching lanes it is obvious how to drive them.....the right way. Inside lane for "through" and "rotating" traffic,
right lane for right turns to immediate right and right land on continuing "through" roadway.

Sheesh!!
Many people though-- new and old to TV-- just seem to stick in the right lane on the roundabouts at all times no matter where they are turning.

I usually can zip past 20 or more cars by using the left lane if I am going to the 12 o'clock or 9 o'clock or 6 o'clock postions. Only have to get in the long line if I am also turning right at the 3 o'clock.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:57 PM

To Fumer and all the other right lane only people. I think you should take a ride
south on Buena Vista to the Stillwater roundabout. As you approach the roundabout
you will see painted on the road in the LEFT lane the words TO STILLWATER. What about the driving instruction painted on the road don't you understand?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Sage

The differences of opinion are very confusing to me not to mention scarey! Not being the greatest driver in the world I may be the one in front of you you are cursing at!!!

Really hope someone gets this straight before I get to TV! I sure dont want to cause an accident!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.