The Sharon

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Would love to watch Off Broadway shows if they can come our way. Probably Opera will be out of the question noticing only about a half filled at Savanah. Probably Ballet would be the same. Perhaps Orchestra with named violinists or pianists could be a possibility? Hope so.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The only other comparison I can think of, of this magnitude, is the gratitude I get for Comcast beaming their programming, internet and telephone services to me. Thank God for good corporate citizens.
Personal Best Regards:
Please do not get me started on Comcast, an unregulated MONOPOLY. Their internet signal is so weak I can barely listen to Pandora, ;yes I am hard wired and the signal still stinks. Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
my problem is that i want more than third-rate or beginning ballet companies and we could have had that had the morses kept their word and assisted in building a true performing arts center with seating for over 2,000. I'm sorry but i don't consider out-of-date musicals, performers who were in their prime 30+ years ago, etc. The type of entertainment "an area with a population of over 125,000 deserves."

we're a reasonable driving distance from both tampa and orlando. We could have easily drawn some of our audience from there. Given what we have, the bookings could be better -- the miami ballet company has a better rep than the moscow festival. I'm just disappointed with the entertainment selections made so far. If this is the type of "cultural attraction we've been starved for for years," we have a big problem cause we're going to be paying a premium for mediocrity at best.

Yes, i'm spoiled. I came from a metropolitan area with great concerts and cultural events. But i also enjoyed the venue at the concord pavilion, which was a very small venue, where we enjoyed great jazz, light opera, rock/pop concerts from those not quite in their prime but not total has-beens, either.

Hopefully, they will improve with time but only if we let them know we're willing to pay for good entertainment, not mediocre. Sadly, i doubt this will happen. People will pay through the nose just to have something here. Those of us who care about quality will be considered naysayers, whiners, complainers. So be it.

The parking is a wait and see type of thing, so i'll be quiet about it. The list of entertainment is out and it is pretty sad for the prices being asked so far.
well said red!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 PM

I agree about the pricing for the type of entertainment. We're living in a fixed income and just can't justify spending that kind of money on mediocrity. Guess The Sharon will be where all the well-to-do people will be spending their evenings.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Gold member

For parking, maybe they could consider running the TV Trolley Busses and maybe a couple of charter busses from Villages Transportation, shuttling people from (for example) parking lots at Savannah, Lake Miona, Colony Rec Centers, and from TV Regional Hospital parking lots.

The people already ruling out The Sharon as a dumb idea sound like the people in distant states who've never been here and still opine that The Villages is a "trailer park" "in Florida swamps" that they heard of in the late 1970s. They couldn't be farther off-base.

The developers know what they're doing, and they'll get it right.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

How has it been determined there is a parking problem? That needs a solution.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
So I wonder why they named it the Sharon Morse Performance Arts Center and also why since they did, that they didn't rename the parking lot at Spanish Spring the Sharon Morse Performance Art Center Parking Lot but why complain when such an altruistic gift is provided solely for the benefits of residents . The only other comparison I can think of, of this magnitude, is the gratitude I get for Comcast beaming their programming, internet and telephone services to me. Thank God for good corporate citizens.

And oh by the way the Center is open to the public so the public can feel the developers love too

P.S. Its what business people do for more profit so please stop making it about you.. None of this is done for you . Business is an impersonal activity because its about money transactions and money looks exactly alike to business people.

Personal Best Regards:
Is it open to the public? Won't you need a Village ID or guest pass?
Old 03-29-2015, 05:19 PM

Some observations from an infrequent poster .
1.....1000 seats is way too small to attract any significant performers.
2......Parking will be a huge problem
3......"a gift from the Morse family " ???
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Remember PALMS ? That was a dream to have a surrounding area performing arts center? Never in the realm of possibility. What we have in The Sharon is reality. And it's done extremely well and an asset to The Villages.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
Again, tons of parking available.
I guess the movie theater, bowling alley and all the other businesses that use those spaces will be closed when there is an event at the Sharon. Maybe there won;t be any live entertainment in the square either.

Have you ever been up there on St Patrick's Day or any of the other special events? Cars are parked all the way up to Winn Dixie and golf carts are parked on the grass all the way to the golf cart bridge. All that parking on the map is not enough for some events now.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I guess the movie theater, bowling alley and all the other businesses that use those spaces will be closed when there is an event at the Sharon. Maybe there won;t be any live entertainment in the square either.

Have you ever been up there on St Patrick's Day or any of the other special events? Cars are parked all the way up to Winn Dixie and golf carts are parked on the grass all the way to the golf cart bridge. All that parking on the map is not enough for some events now.
Yes, I've been around the squares during special events, and often have to drive in the back way to go to MVP and plenty of available parking in the HUGE lot behind the hotel and the second lot behind the bowling alley. It seems as if folks forget the lots exist sometimes.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:03 PM

A Few more observations, As this facility can only seat 1000, the Ticket prices are way to expensive. ( Lived in a major Metropolitan area 20,000 seat venue, Lots of parking as well as excellent public transportation) top shelf entertainment was EXPENSIVE there as well. The comments are that there is inadequate parking oops that would require more parking. The facility is to small. I have gone to the Savanna Center performances and I believe that this will be an improvement over what we had. If people want Top level entertainment Orlando has a lot. I will not criticize nor complain until I have been there done that and have been disappointed.
disappointed
Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRichm369 View Post
A Few more observations, As this facility can only seat 1000, the Ticket prices are way to expensive. ( Lived in a major Metropolitan area 20,000 seat venue, Lots of parking as well as excellent public transportation) top shelf entertainment was EXPENSIVE there as well. The comments are that there is inadequate parking oops that would require more parking. The facility is to small. I have gone to the Savanna Center performances and I believe that this will be an improvement over what we had. If people want Top level entertainment Orlando has a lot. I will not criticize nor complain until I have been there done that and have been disappointed.
disappointed

I agree! Let's give it a chance before we complain..please'
Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Savannah shows transferring to The Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Is it too much to hope to see a lot of the present Savannah entertainment transferred to the Sharon and still maintain reasonable ticket prices? How great it would be to sit comfortably and enjoy our local talent.
The news release states that the Villages based entertainment will remain at Savannah and The Sharon will be used for professional acts. I am involved with a number of the "local" groups performing at Savannah, and knowing the high cost of producing a show there, I can only imagine how much more it would be to produce a show at The Sharon. We would have to charge ticket prices significantly more than we do at Savannah. But we won't worry about it, because the opportunity to perform at The Sharon appears to not be in the cards, at least not in the foreseeable future. The good news for these groups is that it may open up more time to rehearse our shows at Savannah, which historically has been very limited.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Parking problem? I don't think so.
1000 people, maybe 500 vehicles with close to fifty percent being golf carts. 250 or 300 spaces.
When the Sharon was The Church on the square it held at least 400 so there might be a need for 100-150 parking spots. I have never seen the lots in back of the buildings full.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.