The Shopping Desert South of 44

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Mmarr Mmarr is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 79
Thanks: 160
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Nothing anyone can do about it.. land south of 44 probably still looking for permits.. it is what it is..
  #47  
Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,726
Thanks: 488
Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,800 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasco View Post
Most of us won't be here in 200 yrs, or even 100 yrs. The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.



Were you here with the prior generations???


Just like the current generation, prior generations had The Good, The Bad & (some will say) The Ugly.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #48  
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,268
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,955 Times in 915 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasco View Post
Most of us won't be here in 200 yrs, or even 100 yrs. The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.
Assume you have facts to back up the infrastructure claim?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #49  
Old 12-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Trishakaye Trishakaye is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 82
Thanks: 42
Thanked 65 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Grape vine says gas station pulled out also! Not as well planned out as previous expansion. I manage my shopping trips so only mildly inconvenient but very annoying
  #50  
Old 12-26-2019, 03:07 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 3,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,639 Times in 878 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishakaye View Post
Grape vine says gas station pulled out also! Not as well planned out as previous expansion. I manage my shopping trips so only mildly inconvenient but very annoying
I'm sure that is a rumor, why on earth would a gas station pull out unless of course they know of another one being built nearby. Any of the commercial corner out lots along Warm Springs that are for sale would be good spots for gas stations or restaurants, bars, etc. They are also working hard on the commercial property north and just east of the Turnpike, maybe a gas station will be going in there. By the time they get one built there will be so many people here that there will be lines trying to get fuel. I drove past Magnolia today and there seems to be some new equipment that wasn't there before Christmas, maybe they're getting ready to do some constructing. I also wen't to the Lake Deaton Plaza today and it's not far at all from these southern villages, and our home is probably as far away as you can get from it.
  #51  
Old 12-26-2019, 03:25 PM
DeanFL's Avatar
DeanFL DeanFL is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,704
Thanks: 329
Thanked 2,247 Times in 543 Posts
Default

We JUST came back from a drive - from our house In Glichrist, down to Fenney et al. To the new-ish Everglades Rec Complex...nice, and Fenney Nature Trail...REALLY nice - saw otters swimming in the river catching fish etc. Drove past the Magnolia Plaza Shopping area....with - NOTHING, and no sign of building. We were astonished that (still) the Fenney folks and others down south musr drive so far for basic shopping. The New Publix near us in Trailwinds is being built post-haste. One would think the planned Publix in Magnolia would be a preference, but apparently not. Glad we're not down there... And traffic whooshing from the Turnpike can be easily heard from the Everglades parking area. There are homes built/being built much closer than that...
__________________
I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order - AS THEY SHOULD BE.
"Yesterday Belongs to History, Tomorrow Belongs to God, Today Belongs to Me"
  #52  
Old 12-26-2019, 03:42 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 3,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,639 Times in 878 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We JUST came back from a drive - from our house In Glichrist, down to Fenney et al. To the new-ish Everglades Rec Complex...nice, and Fenney Nature Trail...REALLY nice - saw otters swimming in the river catching fish etc. Drove past the Magnolia Plaza Shopping area....with - NOTHING, and no sign of building. We were astonished that (still) the Fenney folks and others down south musr drive so far for basic shopping. The New Publix near us in Trailwinds is being built post-haste. One would think the planned Publix in Magnolia would be a preference, but apparently not. Glad we're not down there... And traffic whooshing from the Turnpike can be easily heard from the Everglades parking area. There are homes built/being built much closer than that...
We drive less than 5 miles and one stoplight for basic shopping, not a big deal at all. When completed the homes near the turnpike will be in the minority, and people are buying them as fast as they build them. Chitty Chatty is coming up next and it is not near the Turnpike and very near to Lake Deaton Plaza. Most of us that live down here are very glad to be here as are all of the people moving down from northern villages.
  #53  
Old 12-27-2019, 06:02 PM
600th Photo Sq 600th Photo Sq is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 862
Thanks: 1
Thanked 425 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We drive less than 5 miles and one stoplight for basic shopping, not a big deal at all. When completed the homes near the turnpike will be in the minority, and people are buying them as fast as they build them. Chitty Chatty is coming up next and it is not near the Turnpike and very near to Lake Deaton Plaza. Most of us that live down here are very glad to be here as are all of the people moving down from northern villages.
With regards to the noise, when the pavement is wet the sound from the roads ( Turnpike ) is practically deafening.

I'll take the " Pennecamp " area.
  #54  
Old 12-27-2019, 07:20 PM
valuemkt valuemkt is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Posts: 551
Thanks: 30
Thanked 453 Times in 140 Posts
Default

I currently live in the "Pennecamp area" - Buttonwood.. Purposely picked it for its equidistance to Brownwood and Sumter. However, we decided to "upsize" and build in Monarch Grove - which appears to be the future mid point of The Villages, or close. There are still not enough cars in The Villages to make a good traffic jam (nor will there be in the foreseeable future), and Orlando and MCO are 15 minutes closer (we frequent the airport). While magnolia will be an added bonus, Lake Deaton's Publix is 2 lights away (one allowing the right turn on red), and can be reached far quicker, and with less hassle, than the Publix we frequented in the Atlanta suburbs. We have already met many of our new neighbors, all of whom have the excitement of new Villagers, with none of the complaining and animosity often expressed on this blog. They (and we) came with eyes wide open. Contrary to some opinions, you do not need to show your passport to cross 44 .. either way.. I bought something posted by a Bonita resident today, and he mentioned that when he bought 11 years ago, he was at the south end of civilization. The more things change, the more they remain the same, as the saying goes. No regrets .. different strokes for different folks. Everyone down here is certainly old enough to make their own decisions, and do what they perceive is best for them and their loved ones.
  #55  
Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 3,051
Thanks: 1,456
Thanked 3,547 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default

The great race is on, what will come first in the desert, shopping or Championship golf?
  #56  
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Sabrina&Bill Sabrina&Bill is offline
Member
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Northern California (BayArea)
Posts: 45
Thanks: 283
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Default From North to South of 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Most of us that live down here are very glad to be here as are all of the people moving down from northern villages.
Just curious, do current Villagers have an advantage over non Villagers when new homes or lots are released/advertised?

Future Villagers ( May 2020)
  #57  
Old 12-28-2019, 06:01 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The great race is on, what will come first in the desert, shopping or Championship golf?
Hmmm, an excellent question.


If you decide to get a pool going, put me down for $10 that before there's a championship course....there will be a Dollar General.



  #58  
Old 12-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Fredman's Avatar
Fredman Fredman is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Posts: 988
Thanks: 4
Thanked 707 Times in 193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
What anchor store pulled out and what is the replacement?
Must have been costco.
__________________
GO STEELERS
  #59  
Old 12-28-2019, 08:08 PM
valuemkt valuemkt is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Posts: 551
Thanks: 30
Thanked 453 Times in 140 Posts
Default Advantage Neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill View Post
Just curious, do current Villagers have an advantage over non Villagers when new homes or lots are released/advertised?

Future Villagers ( May 2020)
You need to have an experienced and aggressive Villages salesperson looking out for you. If you;re looking for pre owned homes, you should be looking at bother realtor listings and Villages listings.. HOWEVER, if you are committed to build, vs buy a spec, you need to have a Villages salesperson aware of what you want, where, and what you are willing to spend. Good lots go within minutes of their release. The price and terms are non negotiable. If you are not willing to commit, there are usually several back-ups waiting for you to drop your commitment.
  #60  
Old 12-28-2019, 08:21 PM
charmed59 charmed59 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 559
Thanks: 45
Thanked 273 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Hmmm, an excellent question.


If you decide to get a pool going, put me down for $10 that before there's a championship course....there will be a Dollar General.



That’s not fair. There is already a Dollar General on Warm Springs.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.