The Shopping Desert South of 44

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Nothing anyone can do about it.. land south of 44 probably still looking for permits.. it is what it is..
Old 12-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasco View Post
Most of us won't be here in 200 yrs, or even 100 yrs. The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.

Were you here with the prior generations???

Just like the current generation, prior generations had The Good, The Bad & (some will say) The Ugly.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasco View Post
Most of us won't be here in 200 yrs, or even 100 yrs. The former Morse generation did much for for the infrastructure than the present generation.
Assume you have facts to back up the infrastructure claim?
Old 12-26-2019, 01:28 PM

Grape vine says gas station pulled out also! Not as well planned out as previous expansion. I manage my shopping trips so only mildly inconvenient but very annoying
Old 12-26-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishakaye View Post
Grape vine says gas station pulled out also! Not as well planned out as previous expansion. I manage my shopping trips so only mildly inconvenient but very annoying
I'm sure that is a rumor, why on earth would a gas station pull out unless of course they know of another one being built nearby. Any of the commercial corner out lots along Warm Springs that are for sale would be good spots for gas stations or restaurants, bars, etc. They are also working hard on the commercial property north and just east of the Turnpike, maybe a gas station will be going in there. By the time they get one built there will be so many people here that there will be lines trying to get fuel. I drove past Magnolia today and there seems to be some new equipment that wasn't there before Christmas, maybe they're getting ready to do some constructing. I also wen't to the Lake Deaton Plaza today and it's not far at all from these southern villages, and our home is probably as far away as you can get from it.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We JUST came back from a drive - from our house In Glichrist, down to Fenney et al. To the new-ish Everglades Rec Complex...nice, and Fenney Nature Trail...REALLY nice - saw otters swimming in the river catching fish etc. Drove past the Magnolia Plaza Shopping area....with - NOTHING, and no sign of building. We were astonished that (still) the Fenney folks and others down south musr drive so far for basic shopping. The New Publix near us in Trailwinds is being built post-haste. One would think the planned Publix in Magnolia would be a preference, but apparently not. Glad we're not down there... And traffic whooshing from the Turnpike can be easily heard from the Everglades parking area. There are homes built/being built much closer than that...
Old 12-26-2019, 03:42 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
We JUST came back from a drive - from our house In Glichrist, down to Fenney et al. To the new-ish Everglades Rec Complex...nice, and Fenney Nature Trail...REALLY nice - saw otters swimming in the river catching fish etc. Drove past the Magnolia Plaza Shopping area....with - NOTHING, and no sign of building. We were astonished that (still) the Fenney folks and others down south musr drive so far for basic shopping. The New Publix near us in Trailwinds is being built post-haste. One would think the planned Publix in Magnolia would be a preference, but apparently not. Glad we're not down there... And traffic whooshing from the Turnpike can be easily heard from the Everglades parking area. There are homes built/being built much closer than that...
We drive less than 5 miles and one stoplight for basic shopping, not a big deal at all. When completed the homes near the turnpike will be in the minority, and people are buying them as fast as they build them. Chitty Chatty is coming up next and it is not near the Turnpike and very near to Lake Deaton Plaza. Most of us that live down here are very glad to be here as are all of the people moving down from northern villages.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We drive less than 5 miles and one stoplight for basic shopping, not a big deal at all. When completed the homes near the turnpike will be in the minority, and people are buying them as fast as they build them. Chitty Chatty is coming up next and it is not near the Turnpike and very near to Lake Deaton Plaza. Most of us that live down here are very glad to be here as are all of the people moving down from northern villages.
With regards to the noise, when the pavement is wet the sound from the roads ( Turnpike ) is practically deafening.

I'll take the " Pennecamp " area.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I currently live in the "Pennecamp area" - Buttonwood.. Purposely picked it for its equidistance to Brownwood and Sumter. However, we decided to "upsize" and build in Monarch Grove - which appears to be the future mid point of The Villages, or close. There are still not enough cars in The Villages to make a good traffic jam (nor will there be in the foreseeable future), and Orlando and MCO are 15 minutes closer (we frequent the airport). While magnolia will be an added bonus, Lake Deaton's Publix is 2 lights away (one allowing the right turn on red), and can be reached far quicker, and with less hassle, than the Publix we frequented in the Atlanta suburbs. We have already met many of our new neighbors, all of whom have the excitement of new Villagers, with none of the complaining and animosity often expressed on this blog. They (and we) came with eyes wide open. Contrary to some opinions, you do not need to show your passport to cross 44 .. either way.. I bought something posted by a Bonita resident today, and he mentioned that when he bought 11 years ago, he was at the south end of civilization. The more things change, the more they remain the same, as the saying goes. No regrets .. different strokes for different folks. Everyone down here is certainly old enough to make their own decisions, and do what they perceive is best for them and their loved ones.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

The great race is on, what will come first in the desert, shopping or Championship golf?
Old 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM
Default From North to South of 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Most of us that live down here are very glad to be here as are all of the people moving down from northern villages.
Just curious, do current Villagers have an advantage over non Villagers when new homes or lots are released/advertised?

Future Villagers ( May 2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The great race is on, what will come first in the desert, shopping or Championship golf?
Hmmm, an excellent question.

If you decide to get a pool going, put me down for $10 that before there's a championship course....there will be a Dollar General.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
What anchor store pulled out and what is the replacement?
Must have been costco.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Advantage Neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina&Bill View Post
Just curious, do current Villagers have an advantage over non Villagers when new homes or lots are released/advertised?

Future Villagers ( May 2020)
You need to have an experienced and aggressive Villages salesperson looking out for you. If you;re looking for pre owned homes, you should be looking at bother realtor listings and Villages listings.. HOWEVER, if you are committed to build, vs buy a spec, you need to have a Villages salesperson aware of what you want, where, and what you are willing to spend. Good lots go within minutes of their release. The price and terms are non negotiable. If you are not willing to commit, there are usually several back-ups waiting for you to drop your commitment.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Hmmm, an excellent question.

If you decide to get a pool going, put me down for $10 that before there's a championship course....there will be a Dollar General.

That’s not fair. There is already a Dollar General on Warm Springs.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, basic, full, bore

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.