Sneaky Snake Under Downspout Plate

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,632 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
There are only 3 poisonous snakes in Florida and the vast majority of people never ever see one of them as we are a danger to their living out their lives. Harmless ones, help us by eating insects, mice etc....things we don't want in our homes. I used to be terrified of all of them until I got to know the differences between them and 99% have been some form of harmless racers/garters and the odd harmless rat snake. We fear what we don't know most often so it was a good study. I also got to think of them as ailementary canals which we all have from our mouth to the bottom end. They just didn't develop arms and legs.
The Florida Museum of Natural History disagrees with that.

List of Venomous Florida Snakes :: Florida Museum of Natural History
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:26 PM

This concerns the Snake Away product. We used to live by a nature area with a creek running behind our home. Water moccasins were not uncommon. When we went to purchase the Snake Away, we were told that it was not effective for that snake. That was confirmed by reading the disclaimers on the product. This was some 20 years ago, and the product may have changed, but that's the way it used to be.

BTW, we've been in TV for 11 years, and we've had many snake visitors, mostly in the yard, although two small ones have found their way on our screened lanai. I don't like snakes, but I'd never let them keep me out of life in TV!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That's the same kind of dogs you're afraid of!
Precisely
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deestatham View Post
Moving to TV in September and I'm terrified of snakes! Would NEVER hurt one, but I'm terrified of them. Please tell me I won't see a snake when I move there!!
OK deestatham you won't see a snake when you move here.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
There are only 3 poisonous snakes in Florida and the vast majority of people never ever see one of them as we are a danger to their living out their lives. Harmless ones, help us by eating insects, mice etc....things we don't want in our homes. I used to be terrified of all of them until I got to know the differences between them and 99% have been some form of harmless racers/garters and the odd harmless rat snake. We fear what we don't know most often so it was a good study. I also got to think of them as ailementary canals which we all have from our mouth to the bottom end. They just didn't develop arms and legs.
Hi gap I agree and the only snakes I fear are alive, dead, big, small
Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
We were working in the yard first thing this morning, and hubby moved the resin plate beneath the downspout, which directs water away from the foundation. As he removed the plate, he saw this snake enjoying its beauty rest. Hubby and I both recently began the refresher course to our childhood tap lessons. Any of you out there, who enjoy "River Dance" would have seen the similar leap, performed by my husband , upon discovring the snake. Only thing missing, was "Michael Flatley's" wonderful heal clicks as he bounds across the stage.

We'd like to know what type of snake this is.
That's not a black racer. Black racers are all black. The snake in question is a Common Garter snake. I am deathly afraid of snakes so I have made a job of learning all the snakes so that I know the poisonous ones.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki.baker@aol.com View Post
The village I live in has more than its share of snakes, 2 caught in my garage, several crawl thru my yard, snake skins in my rock beds, 1 dead, 1 alive in the street yesterday.........I know their out there , so I am cautious. Don't like ANY Snake, but they are here. P.S. I don't live near water or a preserve....
What village do you live in?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,102 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Precisely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.