Suggestions on pre-move-in work?

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Default Suggestions on pre-move-in work?

When I purchase my home in TV, there may some things I want to have done after the closing, but before I actually move in -- things that would be easier with nothing in the house. I'd still have my home back up north and be living there:

• interior painting and garage floor painting
  • Nova water filter installation
  • Replace screened in lanai with sliding windows

Would it make more sense to have an interior decorator, project manager (if these exist in TV), or maybe even a neighbor - have the keys and let the workers in, or would it be better (and potentially safer) to make additional trips down to TV - stay in a hotel, and come out to the house to open up in the morning and close up every night?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Kevin
Old 04-15-2021, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

Tear up any carpet and remove any wallpaper. Appropriate wiring for any smart home features you might want. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

Honestly - come down and live in it for a month. There were things we thought we would do that we won’t and we re prioritized some things.
If you’ve never lived here - it is in like anything up north.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:11 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,471 Posts

Don't expect to get quality work done quickly, especially closing in the lanai, there is so much building going on here that most of the good contractors have a backlog. As far as coming down to oversee the work, no need to stay in a motel as there will be plenty of furnished homes available for short term renting be it a few days or a few weeks as the busy season is about over. Look for rentals near your new home for convenience.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,308 Posts

I would do the stuff that requires moving furniture, like:
Sealing the garage floor, NOTE: make sure the final coat has a friction additive (like shark grip) or you may end up with a VERY slippery surface when wet.
Sealing grout, be careful here. Many sealants change the color of the grout (it looks wet all the time), we used one 511 brand, supposed to be "20 year life", well it is not.
Taking up carpeting and installing other flooring.

Painting walls can be done after you move in many if not all of the local painters very carefully move furniture etc.
Enclosing the lanai requires ARC approval and possibly permits this should be an after you move in.

There will be other items but you will not find these until you have been in the house for a while.

Hope this helps and welcome to The Villages.

Tags
painting, interior, house, make, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.