Termite protection scam

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Original Topic
DangeloInspections's Avatar
DangeloInspections DangeloInspections is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 616
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

retiredguy123 and topspinno and some others here are 100% correct. I was asked to comment on this thread.

I have no "skin in this game" as I no longer do official termite inspections. You legally have to have a seperate license to do official WDO (wood destroying organisms) and I found it was just not worth the cost and training headache to maintain this additional accreditation when we are so busy doing home inspections. Most home inspectors leave this to the "bug guys". When we do an inspection by law we CANNOT say we are doing a WDO inspection, and we are not. Of course, when we do find damage or other evidence of "possible WDO" we would certainly call it out as an issue that would need to be checked out by someone "legally allowed" to weigh in on it.

By Florida law, all slabs have to be pre-treated before the build. How long that treatment lasts is debatable. a few folks elect to do their own treatments, providing they know what to buy, how to apply, etc.

Most folks hire this out. Treatments vary, the most common is Termidor.

Some folks sign up for a termite "bond". This is basically an insurance policy that will cover any treatment and repair IF an infestation and/or damage is found. If one plans on selling their home it is often reassuring to the buyer that a constant bond has been in place. Since all insurance is simply risk management, it is up to you weather you feel you would like to insure against this risk.

Some mortgages require an official Florida WDO Inspection. Some do not.

There is a difference between the much more common subterranean termite and the less found (around here) drywood termites. These are more prevalent the more south in Florida you go. The treatment for these is typically a one time treatment in the attic.

So...the big question is how big a risk are termites to your home. The risk varies....and the answers are different as to whom you ask. There is no "One size fits all" answer.

hope that helps a bit.....

Frank
__________________
Florida licensed Home Inspector #HI688. (352) 250-7818
  #17  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM
gatorbill1 gatorbill1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Posts: 167
Thanks: 8
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Default

I believe Florida has more flying termites than subterranean
  #18  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM
photo1902 photo1902 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,699
Thanks: 44
Thanked 36 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
retiredguy123 and topspinno and some others here are 100% correct. I was asked to comment on this thread.

I have no "skin in this game" as I no longer do official termite inspections. You legally have to have a seperate license to do official WDO (wood destroying organisms) and I found it was just not worth the cost and training headache to maintain this additional accreditation when we are so busy doing home inspections. Most home inspectors leave this to the "bug guys". When we do an inspection by law we CANNOT say we are doing a WDO inspection, and we are not. Of course, when we do find damage or other evidence of "possible WDO" we would certainly call it out as an issue that would need to be checked out by someone "legally allowed" to weigh in on it.

By Florida law, all slabs have to be pre-treated before the build. How long that treatment lasts is debatable. a few folks elect to do their own treatments, providing they know what to buy, how to apply, etc.

Most folks hire this out. Treatments vary, the most common is Termidor.

Some folks sign up for a termite "bond". This is basically an insurance policy that will cover any treatment and repair IF an infestation and/or damage is found. If one plans on selling their home it is often reassuring to the buyer that a constant bond has been in place. Since all insurance is simply risk management, it is up to you weather you feel you would like to insure against this risk.

Some mortgages require an official Florida WDO Inspection. Some do not.

There is a difference between the much more common subterranean termite and the less found (around here) drywood termites. These are more prevalent the more south in Florida you go. The treatment for these is typically a one time treatment in the attic.

So...the big question is how big a risk are termites to your home. The risk varies....and the answers are different as to whom you ask. There is no "One size fits all" answer.

hope that helps a bit.....

Frank
Thank you very much for your input. It was very informative.
  #19  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,858
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Thank you, Frank. I didn't expect a reply so soon. As usual, you came through with all the best information. Bob
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
  #20  
Old 10-13-2018, 12:08 AM
tuccillo tuccillo is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,504
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

There are cracks in the slab. Regardless, the interior wood framing (interior load bearing walls) has been treated with a chemical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Being as our homes are built on a slab, I don't see how the subterranean varmints could get to the wood. Anybody?
  #21  
Old 10-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Jima64 Jima64 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,392
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Default shrinkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Being as our homes are built on a slab, I don't see how the subterranean varmints could get to the wood. Anybody?
as concrete cures it shrinks. there will be tiny cracks around your bathtub plumbing that comes up through the slab. It is a good spot to make sure you have the termite guy spray. some homes will have a small inspection panel. They are easy to install.
  #22  
Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM
McGyver9 McGyver9 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply!
I have a question, if I may.....how common (in your experience) is an infestation to actually occur?
Especially in a 5-15 year old house, that was pre-treated....that doesn't have a bunch of dilapidated other houses/structures/rotting decks near by/attached....or old fallen/rotting timber in un-kept wild yards?


I'm just really skeptical that this is even a "thing", in a community like TV...
And this QUARTERLY application, I think, is TOTAL overkill.
Charging me $100, (4X a year) to walk around my little 2 bedroom villa with a sprayer....

Asking anyone with an answer....Just Thought Frank would have more first hand knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
  #23  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 6
Thanked 136 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't think it's a scam, but a case of "buyer beware".
And a case of projecting the blame.
__________________
My dance style ranges from old white dad at a barbeque to stripper whose rent is due tomorrow.
  #24  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Toymeister's Avatar
Toymeister Toymeister is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 657
Thanks: 1
Thanked 97 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyver9 View Post
And this QUARTERLY application, I think, is TOTAL overkill.
Charging me $100, (4X a year) to walk around my little 2 bedroom villa with a sprayer....
Here is an option, use the same product the pros use around the home four times a year. It is Tarus SC (generic Termidor SC) https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-CSI...ords=taurus+sc for 55.00 you get 25 one gallon applications or six years' worth. Your annual cost is 9.00. This product works exceptionally well to keep the ants out as well. Ant control is one approved use for this product.

Taurus SC active ingredient is 9.1% Fipronil. This is the same product is similar concentrations as used in Frontline topical flea control for dogs and cats. Not saying that this is safer than any other insecticide, but it is interesting how some hire a professional for their house but DIY for their pets.

Last edited by Toymeister; 01-03-2019 at 03:21 PM.
  #25  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,858
Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I just signed with Florida Pest Control (FPC). They are very reasonable and very thorough. No pressure or BS.
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
  #26  
Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM
pauld315 pauld315 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NY, FL, PA, TX, NC, TV
Posts: 1,087
Thanks: 9
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Default

If you own a house in the south, you need some sort of termite contract. When I lived in NC, I came home one day and said what is happening to the drywall in the garage ? Well, termites had built their little tunnels and were eating the paper off the drywall. This was on a house that was 7 years old. I had to have the whole house treated including drilling into the garage concrete floor every 6 inches along the perimeter to have chemicals injected. Needless to say, it was a very expensive procedure. Now, we pay Massey about a 100 a year to provide the warranty. They come and inspect/treat once or twice a year. I did the same thing in NC with a different company.
__________________
"The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven't made up their minds." - Casey Stengel
  #27  
Old 01-22-2019, 02:19 PM
JohnN's Avatar
JohnN JohnN is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Village of St. James
Posts: 2,488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

"Now, we pay Massey about a 100 a year to provide the warranty."

I'm 7 years in now with Massey, and now they say they need to retreat above and beyond the $100. Don't know how much that would be, but I'm exploring options.
__________________
Chicago, IL
Little Rock, AR
Alpharetta, GA
Searcy, AR
Village of St.James, The Villages, FL
  #28  
Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 0
Thanked 258 Times in 115 Posts
Default

$100 a year, let's say 60,000 homes in here, $6,000,000 per year divided mostly by Deans and Massey. I wonder how many claims they have ever paid out on termite damage. I wouldn't mind having a piece of that action. They most likely have insurance to cover any claims that might arise but premiums would not be anywhere near that number.
  #29  
Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,218
Thanks: 61
Thanked 489 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
$100 a year, let's say 60,000 homes in here, $6,000,000 per year divided mostly by Deans and Massey. I wonder how many claims they have ever paid out on termite damage. I wouldn't mind having a piece of that action. They most likely have insurance to cover any claims that might arise but premiums would not be anywhere near that number.
I agree. But, if you do a similar calculation with car insurance, I would rather have a piece of that action. And homeowners insurance on the 60,000 homes is about 10 times what people pay for the termite insurance.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-22-2019 at 03:07 PM.
  #30  
Old 01-22-2019, 04:30 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is online now
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 0
Thanked 258 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, if you do a similar calculation with car insurance, I would rather have a piece of that action. And homeowners insurance on the 60,000 homes is about 10 times what people pay for the termite insurance.
That's true but a lot of us use our homeowners and auto insurance every once in awhile. I still have never heard of a documented case of subterranean termites in TV and I have asked on several forums over the last two years.
Closed Thread

Tags
termites, termite, protection, money, check

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.