Tipping

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2023, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

I don’t have answer but I always tip at 20% for good service , more if exceptional service. I give the tip in cash to my server.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
It never ends.
Somewhat agree. Personally I don’t agree on a percentage basis for a tip. Took just as much to bring over a $15 plate of liver and onions as a $45 plate of filet mignon. In any case who the heck came up with the idea of putting a recommended tip on the bill?? .
Old 06-23-2023, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It depends on the restaurant. Tip pooling is legal, but only among tipped employees. Some people say that tips are shared with the kitchen and bussing staff, but that is illegal according to Federal law.
Wait staff A.) get taxed on 15% of their sales ( that may have risen to 20, I’m not sure) so if they get less than that, they’re actually paying taxes on money they didn’t make. It’s automatically deducted from their sales at the end of a shift. B.) they have to tip out what’s called tip share which goes to helpers like bartenders and bussers and the kitchen expeditor.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I don’t have answer but I always tip at 20% for good service , more if exceptional service. I give the tip in cash to my server.
Great!! Makes up for my max of 15%! Thanks for covering for me
Old 06-23-2023, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Wait staff A.) get taxed on 15% of their sales ( that may have risen to 20, I’m not sure) so if they get less than that, they’re actually paying taxes on money they didn’t make. It’s automatically deducted from their sales at the end of a shift. B.) they have to tip out what’s called tip share which goes to helpers like bartenders and bussers and the kitchen expeditor.
Ok. Two contradicting comments. Which is gospel in Florida?
Old 06-23-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
Somewhat agree. Personally I don’t agree on a percentage basis for a tip. Took just as much to bring over a $15 plate of liver and onions as a $45 plate of filet mignon. In any case who the heck came up with the idea of putting a recommended tip on the bill?? .
I generally tip 20%, but the suggested tip amount, usually referenced with several examples at 15, 18, and 20% seem to be calculated differently at various restaurants. Some simply calculate the tip amounts based on the cost of the meal; others calculate the tip based on the “final bill” amount which includes all state/county taxes and sometimes some other fees.

I never include the taxes and other fees as a part of my bill for the purpose of tipping.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Do you know if the moon is still made out of green cheese?
Old 06-23-2023, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. Two contradicting comments. Which is gospel in Florida?
Neither are gospel in Florida. IRS rules are not that simple.

Tipped employees are required to report the amount of tips they receive to their employer. Reported tips are taxed as wages (makes sense).

Most businesses with tipped employees are required to determine if a reasonable amount of tips (8% per IRS 8027) were reported through the year. If not (if it looks like tips were under-reported) then at the end of the year they are required to perform a calculation based on a percentage of sales and "allocate" additional tips to employees on the W-2 form. The employee then can pay taxes on these allocated tips or provide sufficient documentation that they did not actually receive these tips.

"Tipping out" is a policy of an individual business. It is probably common practice for waiters to share tips with bussers and bartenders but I don't believe it is law (or gospel).

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-23-2023, 07:01 AM

For those 0%-15% tippers out there, just be sure to inform your wait staff of that when you sit down. If you are too embarrassed, just stay home.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Someone who saw Americans trying to do math in their heads.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-23-2023, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,880 Times in 5,317 Posts

Note that no one is required to pay income tax on tips that they did not earn. The IRS rule for servers is 8 percent of gross restaurant sales. A server can declare a lesser amount when they file their tax return, but they need to be prepared to prove it to the IRS, with contemporaneous records, if they are audited.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:32 AM

Leaving a 5% tip should be shameful
Old 06-23-2023, 07:36 AM

Disgusting to only tip 5%. You should be ashamed of yourself. You should just stay home and cook for yourself and clean up your own mess.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:38 AM
Default 5 % Tipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Good question. But this is the Villages…many cheap tippers here. My guess..75% tip almost nothing or substandard tips. 20% tip the recommended amount. 5% tip too much and love to brag on totv that they are as generous as Frank Sinatra in his heyday.

Personally…i tip no more than 5%. Why tip to just bring a plate over.

Time to stop this tipping nonsence. Wait…next year it will be suggested u tip 25%.
I hope the local wait staff see your comment on 5% tipping and give you the sevice that you deserve!!
Old 06-23-2023, 07:40 AM

I always tip a minimum of 20% for any food establishment. Some restaurants take the 3% credit card fee they get charged out of the wait staffs tips. FMK does this for example. I tried to get an explanation from FMK on their Facebook page, they deleted my comment.
Closed Thread

Tags
tipping, waitresses, restaurants, share, tips

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.