? For Us Frogs

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2023, 12:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,165 Times in 835 Posts
Default ? For Us Frogs

People in TV move to Florida full time from the north for many reasons, family here, mild winters, cheaper taxation, entertainment, etc.

Now reading all the gloom and doom about Florida's summers will only getting hotter, insurance companies leaving the state with raising home and auto rates,

I need to ask:
If given another chance, would you move out of Florida maybe back up north?

Cheers!
Old 08-13-2023, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,077 Times in 1,777 Posts

I can’t speak for myself but my aunt and uncle moved to TV in 1992, lived and died here. They had welcoming family and friends all over the world. But TV was it for them.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,482 Posts

Very doubtful.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:03 PM

Great Post !

We are Snowbirds from Wisconsin going on 15 years now.
Wisconsin to us...is absolutely perfect.
We sit in 70+ warm sunny temperatures, beautiful lakes all around , hiking and biking trails, beautiful flowers and lush green grass, homegrown produce, fresh fish and beef , Mom and Pop diners everywhere, family owned Supper Clubs, Friday night Wisconsin fish frys at the local bars, Packerland tailgaters, and all the fresh cheese curds and real churned ice cream you could eat !
True Wisconsinite's in every way.

The Villages is also wonderful for us in the winter months, no doubt.
However, we are also going to move back to Wisconsin full-time as well eventually if we can afford a home on a big lake up here.

Florida has become more expensive to own a home there, the massive building, way too crowded, the interstates are packed continuously, the food and services there are mediocre to say the least, the crime and daily scams are over the top, and quite frankly the continuously dangerous rising heat index there is
quite alarming ~ IMO.

We are retired so Wisconsin snow shoveling is no longer a winter drama for us. I never did get used to 80* Christmas Holiday's in Florida, and falling snow outside beats 105* blasting hot sun any day in my book.

Just a personal preference for us.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,699 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
NO!!!

We moved here from Virginia 7 years ago and have never even thought once about moving back to Virginia.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
People in TV move to Florida full time from the north for many reasons, family here, mild winters, cheaper taxation, entertainment, etc.

Now reading all the gloom and doom about Florida's summers will only getting hotter, insurance companies leaving the state with raising home and auto rates,

I need to ask:

Cheers!
I’m afraid it’s going to get hot just about everywhere in summer. We may have record newt but not highest heat, close but not all time record. Yes insurance and maintenance fees (depending on which district you live in) going to take jump also. I don’t consider property taxes cheaper compared to where I can from and what I had. But, I see the point if came from outrageous tax state.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsee View Post
Great Post !

We sit in 70+ warm sunny temperatures, beautiful lakes all around , hiking and biking trails, beautiful flowers and lush green grass, homegrown produce, fresh fish and beef , Mom and Pop diners everywhere, family owned Supper Clubs, Friday night Wisconsin fish frys at the local bars, Packerland tailgaters, and all the fresh cheese curds and real churned ice cream you could eat !

However, we are also going to move back to Wisconsin full-time as well eventually if we can afford a home on a big lake up here.

Florida has become more expensive to own a home there, the massive building, way too crowded, the interstates are packed continuously, the food and services there are mediocre to say the least, the crime and daily scams are over the top, and quite frankly the continuously dangerous rising heat index there is
quite alarming ~ IMO.

We are retired so Wisconsin snow shoveling is no longer a winter drama for us. I never did get used to 80* Christmas Holiday's in Florida, and falling snow outside beats 105* blasting hot sun any day in my book.

Just a personal preference for us.
Sounds prefect, I would invest in several types of mechanical snow moving machines, walk behinds. Tractor with front scoop, rear blade and brush attachment, plus heavy duty hand held blower. Scooping snow by hand breaks my back down quickly
Old 08-13-2023, 01:49 PM

we are going to sell our house and go back home to nh. we will list with the villages and hope for the best. and if you know for pople looking to buy and save mones .emaile kernann@co0mcast.net we are below 44 in a big home
Old 08-13-2023, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,331 Posts

Short answer no not going back north, i am too old to shovel snow.....
Old 08-13-2023, 01:58 PM

We spent last summer here before we decided to sell our house up north and make this move permanent. All 'Climate' discussion aside-I just don't remember last summer being anywhere near as unbearable as this June/July/August seems to have been. If I knew (or felt) then, what I know (and feel) now about the heat in the summers, I think I would have kept the house up north for a while. Having said that, we'll figure out how to adapt and I doubt I'll reverse the decision-remaining 'Frogs'.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsee View Post
Great Post !

quite alarming ~ IMO.

LOL
Great description about Wisconsin.
I lived up there for 75 years, and everything you mention are things that
I miss the most.

One big reason that keeps my wife and I down in Florida is our one and only adopted son.
He is one of a kind and helps us with Dr. appointments, financial help, and is always available 24-7, especially now that my wife has colon cancer.

Our son wants to take us back to Wisconsin one more time, but until my wife
gets her strength back it looks pretty bleak.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,015 Times in 773 Posts

Enjoy returning to Rhode Island each summer., Thanksgiving and Christmas Food, Family and Friendships. Basically we’re here for the income tax savings. With the added costs for insurance, amenities and taxes it’s not much difference than living in Ri. Im a 20 min walk to my boat dock and a 15 min drive to several golf courses no executive courses
Old 08-13-2023, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Short answer no not going back north, i am too old to shovel snow.....
I don't think many seniors in the north shovel much snow today with all the snow
removal equipment they have now days.

Believe it or not, I always looked at shoveling 3 inches of snow around was exercise.

But driving in it going to doctor's appointment etc., that's another story.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
We spent last summer here before we decided to sell our house up north and make this move permanent. All 'Climate' discussion aside-I just don't remember last summer being anywhere near as unbearable as this June/July/August seems to have been. If I knew (or felt) then, what I know (and feel) now about the heat in the summers, I think I would have kept the house up north for a while. Having said that, we'll figure out how to adapt and I doubt I'll reverse the decision-remaining 'Frogs'.
Last summer the criminal media wasn’t pushing the climate change agenda quite as hard!🤔🤔😎
Old 08-13-2023, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larbud View Post
Last summer the criminal media wasn’t pushing the climate change agenda quite as hard!🤔🤔😎
The media isn’t announcing extreme heat alerts everyday. The national weather service is.
Closed Thread

Tags
move, florida, north, auto, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.