Adding a Pool, just Curious?

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Adding a Pool, just Curious?

Wondering why residents add pools to their property when your ammenity fees cover the use of professionally maintained pools through out the Villages? Pros and Cons
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Skinny dipping?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Skinny dipping?
Hahaha! That was MY thought, too!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Sage

We like to take a dip early morning and sometimes in the evening. We also like to have control over the water temp. It is like a motorcycle, if you never had one, you don't get it, but if you ever had one, it is very hard to do without one.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
We like to take a dip early morning and sometimes in the evening. We also like to have control over the water temp. It is like a motorcycle, if you never had one, you don't get it, but if you ever had one, it is very hard to do without one.
oh.

I sort of like not messing with the upkeep. And having my choice of upwards of thirty of them to choose from.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We put in an above ground swimspa (same cost as a pool) because we wanted to be able to do water aerobics at home; cool off whenever; and enjoy the hot tub aspect of the swimspa in the evenings with a glass or two of wine, with music and lights. We also have enjoyed while visiting (moving full time in November) going to the pool to socialize. Its the best of all worlds. Hired T and D to do weekly upkeep, very reasonable and they have been terrific to work with. Wish we bought the pool from them, would not recommend Unique Pools and Spas out of Alamonte. Poor customer follow up.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:43 PM

Being able to just take a 5 minute dip to cool off, anytime I want, without having to drive a half mile...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Sage

All valid reasons. I have had 3 homes with pools and do not have a pool in TV. But I if get in the pool I feel like I need to get in the shower and wash my suit. Too much trouble for me. If I need a dip I go to the pools I pay for and never, ever have to worry about maintanance. I would not have rejected a preowned home because of a pool, but would never spend the money again to put one in. They look great in your yard and are wonderful if you have grandkids or are entertaining, but think long and hard if you will actually use it before investing in one.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:06 PM

We have had pools in the last four homes we owned in KY, VA, and GA but had decided we would use the neighborhood pools when we came to TV. Fast forward two and a half years and we are now putting in a pool. I love the water but with all my other activities, I just never went to the neighborhood pools. But many times I would come home hot and tired and would have gratefully slid into my own pool had it been there. I am so looking forward to having my own pool right outside my door again!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Been there done that! Our pool was worth the maintenance, time and effort years ago but no thanks not now. Grand kids have their own pool at home and love the family pool here in TV when they come to visit----about once a year. Wife loves to socialize at the neighborhood adult pool. By the way, if you ever decide to sell and have a pool, you automatically eliminate over 80% of potential buyers.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Sage
Default Love our pool

Pros........swim any time, pool is right out your back door, can have lots of friends over for private parties, no other people's music or talking to deal with if you like it quiet, on those hot days don't want to swim with other sweaty people, clothes optional, if you don't want to swim you can just read by the pool in quiet.

Cons.....haven't found any yet!!

Couldn't live without our pool and T&D maintains it for us.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Love my pool! Use it everyday and every night!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

Why bother with a wet, clingy swimsuit when you can enjoy your own private pool au natural? And with some well planned creative landscaping complete privacy comes pretty easy.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Been there done that! Our pool was worth the maintenance, time and effort years ago but no thanks not now. Grand kids have their own pool at home and love the family pool here in TV when they come to visit----about once a year. Wife loves to socialize at the neighborhood adult pool. By the way, if you ever decide to sell and have a pool, you automatically eliminate over 80% of potential buyers.
Not so sure that 80% statistic holds true in Florida and especially TVs.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Sage

Yes, where is the 80% statistic coming from? I understand if you are up north, it could be somewhat a deterrent (but not 80%) because of the upkeep and expense for such a limited use. But here? It costs pennies and is extended use.
We just like having water around us. Can't explain it but whether we get in the pool or not, looking out on it changes the landscape and we don't worry about gators I guess some people have a more visceral necessity and we can't imagine our home without the pool. It is part of the view.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.