What to bring to TV, what to leave behind

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Default What to bring to TV, what to leave behind

Ladies - did you bring the wedding china? As I sit here wrapping it up, I am torn between bringing it with me as I have for the past 38 years or giving it to my daughter-in-law. I used it for family dinners since we had a rather large family, but I am wondering if people use their china much. I am leaving my china cabinet which means I will have to fit everything in kitchen cabinets. Thoughts?
What about all those Christmas decorations? I still have the painted macaroni decorations my kids made for crying out loud. I am wondering if we would even stay there for Christmas or go to one of the boys houses. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

I know you addressed it to "LADIES" but I have to put in my 2Cents.

THREE YEARS AGO:

My wife packed her wedding china. It's been in the attic of our Villages home ever since.
My wife packed 35 years of Christmas ornaments. All 14 boxes are still in our garage stacked 2 high on a shelf near the ceiling ever since.

The only thing I packed and have not used is my corderoy sport coat.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Great Question!

Ahhh Conn...I have been going thru the same thing! And Aln you are absolutely right, as I am sure I would do the same thing. It really is so hard getting rid of things that are sentimental to us. You wouldnt believe how much Christmas stuff I have lol. My friends tell me my house looks like the North Pole. . I think I am going to let my son go thru it, and take what he wants and sell the rest. As for my china...I am going to take half with me, and half to my son (he better take care of it lol!! ).
I am bringing going to bring the sentimental things, and sell the rest. Thats my plan anyway lol, but first it would help if I sell this house first!
Its very difficult I know to choose what to bring and what not to bring . I wish you luck. It will all be worth it in the long run right?
Jeanne
Old 05-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Sage

These are decisions all of us soon to be villagers are struggling with.

I know for myself I will be bringing very little Christmas Decorations with me unless they are VERY special or sentimental. Christmas stuff tends to look kind of haggered and dull after a few years and most of it can be replaced easily and inexpensively. Do you feel that you will decorate your Villages house as much as you did over the past years? I for one am sick of putting up decorations every year and will put up very little in the future.

The good China is another story. I am struggling with that also. How many sets of dishes does one family need? Guess Ill take my favorites and leave the rest behind. I tell you one thing, your lifestyle will be different once you get to the Villages. The idea of what set of china to use for your company will not seem as important. Living in TV changes your whole mindset and prioities do change dramatically. At least I know they will for me.

Im with you Jeanne, just want to sell this dang house so we can get on with our lives.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:38 PM

Hey Conn.....does that mean you're from CT?

As for the china....here is MY decision. We bought a new house in TV and need EVERYTHING! Seeing that we need to have a set of dishes, I figured why not the china? I have a set that serves 12 and is diswasher safe and sitting in nice little china protectors, rarely used. What am I saving it for? I'm bringing it and am going to use it for everyday use! I have my mother's china set to pass on to the kids.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

I didn't register for china when my hubby and I got married. My relatives yelled at me for not putting that on the registry, but we are not formal people and I didn't want to have to deal with having that additional set of dishes that we would never use. My grandmother felt sorry for me, (being married and not having a set of china! OMG, just the thought!!!!!) so she went and bought me a set from a garage sale! It has been sitting in my cupboard for 24 years, and we have never used it. Guess what I am not going to have any trouble getting rid of when we move to TV?!?!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Location: Village of St. Charles,Binghamton, Conklin, Syracuse, and Tully, NY
Default What to Bring

I'm going through the same thing. I decided quite awhile ago to go through my house mentally, and ask "If I move, is that worth moving?" I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff. However, my dishes, I think I'll bring. Different dishes are kind of my "thing" and I usually have my dining room table set, as if I were having company. It really looks nice. I change it every so often. One thing I found interesting-my real estate person in TV commented a couple of times "No one in TV has dinner parties". I'm not sure where she gets that idea. Maybe it's true, and I can certainly see where people eat out a lot, or entertain casually. I don't have elaborate dinner parties, but I like to invite one or two couples over for dinner now, and don't think that would change for me when I move. Any comments?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM

My suggestion is to simplify your life by leaving most of the stuff behind.

I see soooooooooooooo many garages full of boxes piled high - and my guess is years later, that stuff is still living in boxes.

It is very liberating starting fresh and new, and not be encumbered by all that stuff ---- the stuff you own actually begins to own you, as it requires effort and money to lug it around the country.

After all, really, its only stuff.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Gold member

I do have a set of good china that I have used a lot over the past 30 years but I packed it all up last year and will be giving it to my son in Michigan. It has 12 place settings, plus serving pieces and I know there won't be the need for it in TV. I would rather get a nice every day set that I will use. I have been getting rid of Christmas decorations, pictures, books, etc since I know we will truly be down sizing. It's hard but it is time to let go of these things and pass some of it on.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 05-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8757 View Post
Ladies - did you bring the wedding china? As I sit here wrapping it up, I am torn between bringing it with me as I have for the past 38 years or giving it to my daughter-in-law. I used it for family dinners since we had a rather large family, but I am wondering if people use their china much. I am leaving my china cabinet which means I will have to fit everything in kitchen cabinets. Thoughts?
What about all those Christmas decorations? I still have the painted macaroni decorations my kids made for crying out loud. I am wondering if we would even stay there for Christmas or go to one of the boys houses. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Bring everything.

YARD SALE!

Yoda
Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yeaaah but come on guys ( er, I mean gals)
Her PROM DRESS , Gimmy a break ..............It even still has a Herbert Hoover button on it,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh Well ,,,,Does anyone need any extra wire ?????

Fumar
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't like my wedding china anymore. No problem getting rid of that. BUT I still like my wedding silver serving pieces. AND people still have dinner parties in TV. Maybe not as formal, but if you like stuff like that, why not?

My problem is getting rid of framed pictures and wall art. I haven't even THOUGHT about Christmas decorations.

We have removed the wallpaper from the last bathroom here in Cincy and have the updated light fixture ready to install. It is looking so good, I have second thoughts about selling it. But this is the last day of May, the flowers are blooming and the grass is green. The hot humid days are ahead and I find it easy to forget the frigid cold and the SNOW.

Choices Choices Choices.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 PM

When we first moved to Florida from Illinois, (still a TV wannabe) I gave some 'good' china away and brought some with us. After one year I decided to use the good dishes, crystal and silverware for every day. I LOVED them all, so why not use what makes me feel good. We certainly don't live the formal life, very lay backed but decided that WE should enjoy. Can't take it with us...and the kids don't want or need it.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Veteran member

Storage is a problem in TV houses. When we sold our house in NJ, we applied the "5 second rule." If, within 5 seconds, we could not name the place where something would be used, we either sold it or donated it. It made moving ever so much easier.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Veteran member

When we moved down to the Delaware shore, I wanted my house to look "beachie".
So I gave the formal diningroom set and the china and crystal to the daughter.

Problem solved!!
Village of Hemmingway
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.