What to do on these rainy days? And, what's with this weather?

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I'm sorry but I'm a nervous Nelli tonight. The wind and rain so hard we can't see across the golf course. Our landscaping we just put in, the bark chips have washed out all over the Side of the yard and probably out to the road by now. We are very concerned about the water washing away the back of our house landscaping. Will call home warranty tomorrow to have them take a look. Hubby also had to go out and hook up the hose to drain the pool....it probably would have over flowed in the night. I'm kind of a wreck tonight....sorry. We just aren't use to these storms. Luckily I have weather alert on my phone and it has gone off twice today. I will sleep uneasy tonight. I will eventually develop a tougher skin for the south I just need some time.
Everyone should be nervous and on alert.I guess most of the posters don't watch the weather channel and their hurricane center reports'This weather system has stalled out ,it's not going anywhere soon,it is just beginning and will be stalled over the same areas for several days.Hope for the best but stay on alert, flooding and tornadoes are real possibilities.Don't outsmart your common sense.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Hi, can some of you let me know if the heavy rains are being handled without problems by the various drainage areas around TV?

Also, is there any flooding occuring in any of the neighborhoods? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Gold member

Good question. Some of the best times to look for property is just after heavy storms. It helps decide where not to buy.
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum member

I don't mind the rain, because we've lived in Florida since 1998, and we've been in an extended drought for years! When we moved into our brand new house on May 30, 2000 in Hunters Creek, we left our insurance papers, computer, medications and a suitcase of clothes in the van because there was a huge fire about 1/2 mile from us! We could see the flames for days! The helicopters went over dropping water and the firetrucks parked at the end of the neighborhood all night several nights. Now that was scary!

There weren't any fires that close to us again, but I am glad to see the rain. I agree it's awful for the golfers but I am glad it's just rain and not big thunderstorms with lots of wind.

I COULD have spent the day unpacking boxes, but I think we were all so tired that we did some stuff, but didn't accomplish as much as we should have!

I keep telling myself....the aquifers need the water. REPEAT!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Last month I was wishing for a tropical storm to end the drought and now we've got it!
[snip]
carla b - would you mind making your next wish that i win the power ball or mega million lottery - there's a reward if i win.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljarnold View Post
English Ivy thanks for the info. I have a daughter in New Orleans so we watch the weather very carefully. NO is getting ready for the TS Debby also. Katrina has made everyone aware of what the storms can do!
Oh, our son, Mike, lived in New Orleans until Hurricane Katrina. He lost everything he owned in his apartment when the dike let loose......he quit his job at the space center and moved to Orlando, got a job doing maintenance on electrical machines all over the US, and that finally made him decide to go to Duke for his law degree!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 06-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Gold member
Default Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerslife View Post
Hi, can some of you let me know if the heavy rains are being handled without problems by the various drainage areas around TV?

Also, is there any flooding occuring in any of the neighborhoods? Thanks!
I was wondering about Tamarind Grove? Dividing Creek Path at the bottom of the hill. Are the storm drains there handling the large volumn of run off?

And my poor son in Colorado is runnning away from fires! Gee wiz
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,354 Posts

cuddle with human or pet what ever works its always calming
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Default Lol

Read a book. Lol old school
Old 06-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I was wondering about Tamarind Grove? Dividing Creek Path at the bottom of the hill. Are the storm drains there handling the large volumn of run off?

And my poor son in Colorado is runnning away from fires! Gee wiz
I wish I had read this, before I went over to St. James....I woulda looked. If I see it floating by over here, I will shout out.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 PM

According to the weather channel, looks like this stuff is going to be around for the week. I have been in FL for 9 years and TV for 4 1/2 and am loving every minute of this. Why?, because the rain is so needed and it is not a hurricane and nothing is flooding because the powers that be did it right and I am getting so much done around the house. Now, ask me again on Friday how I am feeling if Ms Debbie is still around! I also am a dog owner and I really had to come up with a special umbrella for him and I so that he could do his thing! Poor baby, unlike his mother, he doesn't like all this rain. Up to 11 inches in the rain gauge at my house in Springdale.

I'm the type of woman that when I get up in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up"!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Thundershirt for People

There's a product called Thundershirt that is a snug wrap for dogs that are nervous due to thunder, lightening, etc.
"Thundershirt uses gentle, constant pressure to calm your dog, effectively aiding anxiety, fearfulness, barking and more"

Wonder if the human version is a straight-jacket?

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Talking saving money

Look at it this way we are saving money on our irrigation bill this mouth. Oh no sun burns this week
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

I have to say to those who are too disappointed by the rain, that back home today in lovely Kansas, the forecast is for a high of 108. Much cooler tomorrow at 107. Unfortunately we have to go home on Friday.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
I have to say to those who are too disappointed by the rain, that back home today in lovely Kansas, the forecast is for a high of 108. Much cooler tomorrow at 107. Unfortunately we have to go home on Friday.
I hope things have gotten better for you, but i hope you did enjoy what you could

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.