What have you done recently for someone else ...

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:18 AM
SanFranDianne's Avatar
SanFranDianne SanFranDianne is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel full-time since April 1, 2013
Posts: 130
Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default What have you done recently for someone else ...

What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!
  #2  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:39 AM
JSR22's Avatar
JSR22 JSR22 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,056
Thanks: 467
Thanked 921 Times in 320 Posts
Default

I went to lunch with 15 women the week before Christmas. We surprised the server with a &1600.00 tip. She was overjoyed. We all said we would do it again.
  #3  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:23 AM
SanFranDianne's Avatar
SanFranDianne SanFranDianne is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel full-time since April 1, 2013
Posts: 130
Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I went to lunch with 15 women the week before Christmas. We surprised the server with a &1600.00 tip. She was overjoyed. We all said we would do it again.
Incredible~! Congratulations to you all for reaching out and bringing joy to someone else.
  #4  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 AM
JSR22's Avatar
JSR22 JSR22 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,056
Thanks: 467
Thanked 921 Times in 320 Posts
Default

It was fortunate that we did that. Her washer and dryer broke a couple of days after Christmas.
  #5  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:47 AM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 18
Thanked 585 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranDianne View Post
What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!
I am taking this as a thought-provoking, rhetorical question rather than a literal request to list our altruistic accomplishments. Thank you, SanFranDianne.
__________________
What am I supposed to call my Plantation Shutters now?
  #6  
Old 01-03-2020, 12:16 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,443
Thanks: 663
Thanked 4,894 Times in 1,799 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranDianne View Post
What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!
I agree, but I am not sure people are too shy to ask for help. I have found that most of the time, people will refuse an offer to help, even when it is obvious that they need help. One Sunday morning at the postal station, I offered to give a lady a quarter to get a paper because she only had 3 quarters. She said, "Oh no, I'll walk home and get my own quarter". Maybe someone can explain this attitude about accepting help.
  #7  
Old 01-03-2020, 12:35 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,017
Thanks: 3,544
Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default

I have been working on my 224 613 Project since January of 1991 even if I had not starting using these two numbers in late 1992 after I started in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed. This was at the University of California, San Francisco Health Campus. I had discovered a glaring niche in libraries for practical information for survivors/victims of crimes when I started looking for materials to help my fellow Earl Wooster High School students cope with the 2-24-1976 murder of Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) campus. She was a 19 year old nursing UNR student and daughter of my then remedial English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell. 2-24 is my birthday. I earned four degrees (B.A. 1980/B.A.1981 /M.A 1984./J.D. 1989) to do something about this niche but was pushed out of law librarianship when I forced the issue in a public way at law library conventions and then also starting working on public libraries via the American Library Association conventions. And then I thought why not bring in many of the writers going to these library conventions? And then extended it to celebrities like movie stars and Hollywood studio heads..... This is just a hobby. And I do it to help people not to put money in my pocket even though money has been a huge problem. And the forces that be in these institutions have pushed back as well in many ways. But after 29 years I am still at it. What's in your library for survivors/victims of crimes and their friends and families? Of course what is in some small town library in Alaska or Texas would probably be quite different from what is in NYC or Los Angeles.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-03-2020 at 01:04 PM.
  #8  
Old 01-03-2020, 04:13 PM
SanFranDianne's Avatar
SanFranDianne SanFranDianne is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel full-time since April 1, 2013
Posts: 130
Thanks: 7
Thanked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Default A perfectly timed good deed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
It was fortunate that we did that. Her washer and dryer broke a couple of days after Christmas.
It must have been a double pleasure to have helped her in such a timely fashion.

I'm impressed!
  #9  
Old 01-03-2020, 04:25 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranDianne View Post
What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!
A wonderful sentiment and I applaud you for it.

  #10  
Old 01-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10,224
Thanks: 2,936
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I went to lunch with 15 women the week before Christmas. We surprised the server with a &1600.00 tip. She was overjoyed. We all said we would do it again.
That was you? Thank You!

Seriously, that is beautiful. What a great bunch you all are.
  #11  
Old 01-03-2020, 06:49 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranDianne View Post
What have you done recently for someone else? 2020 in optical terms is perfect vision. Perhaps this New Year 2020 is a perfect time for us to look around us and see what we can do for our neighbor. Some people are too shy to ask for help. This year just might be the perfect inroad to make 2020 be the Year of Peace!
2020 as the Year of Peace. What a great thought, thanks Dianne.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #12  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:10 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,017
Thanks: 3,544
Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,002 Posts
Default

Washoe County Sheriff's Office - Northern Nevada's Full Service Law Enforcement Agency

If you want to get involved with the 224 613 Project check what your hometown library has for survivors/victims of crimes as well as those with mental illness. And to prevent bullying in all its forms.

The Washoe County Sheriff's Office (in Northern Nevada including Reno) has a lot of very good links for keeping people safe. Of course, each community would be different.

I had started looking for practical materials to help my fellow students at Earl Wooster High School cope with the 2-24-1976 murder investigation into the slaying of Michelle Mitchell. This was not "solved" until 1979. It is a very complicated matter. Anyway, my searches to aid my fellow high students started with the Washoe County Library and soon included the University of Nevada, Reno Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I have been working on my 224 613 Project since January of 1991 even if I had not starting using these two numbers in late 1992 after I started in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed. This was at the University of California, San Francisco Health Campus. I had discovered a glaring niche in libraries for practical information for survivors/victims of crimes when I started looking for materials to help my fellow Earl Wooster High School students cope with the 2-24-1976 murder of Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) campus. She was a 19 year old nursing UNR student and daughter of my then remedial English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell. 2-24 is my birthday. I earned four degrees (B.A. 1980/B.A.1981 /M.A 1984./J.D. 1989) to do something about this niche but was pushed out of law librarianship when I forced the issue in a public way at law library conventions and then also starting working on public libraries via the American Library Association conventions. And then I thought why not bring in many of the writers going to these library conventions? And then extended it to celebrities like movie stars and Hollywood studio heads..... This is just a hobby. And I do it to help people not to put money in my pocket even though money has been a huge problem. And the forces that be in these institutions have pushed back as well in many ways. But after 29 years I am still at it. What's in your library for survivors/victims of crimes and their friends and families? Of course what is in some small town library in Alaska or Texas would probably be quite different from what is in NYC or Los Angeles.
  #13  
Old 01-04-2020, 06:16 AM
jswirs jswirs is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Village of Santiago
Posts: 202
Thanks: 146
Thanked 333 Times in 110 Posts
Default

I love the analogy....20-20 vision! I'm beginning this year by volunteering my time in various places / agencies.
  #14  
Old 01-04-2020, 07:43 AM
KLBNJ KLBNJ is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 25
Thanks: 144
Thanked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I really love this thought provoking question and idea and will pass it on and reach out more in 2020. You can start with a simple smile. It cost nothing and is so nice to greet someone with a genuine smile. How are you? May I help you? Little Acts of Kindness.
Thank you a wonderful thought and idea.
  #15  
Old 01-04-2020, 08:50 AM
J1ceasar J1ceasar is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 675
Thanks: 38
Thanked 510 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Charity and Goodwill should be in the whole year affair. I collect clothing all year for the forest people of Ocala and anyone that wants to donate clothing or useful items can contact me. In 2019 I've had about 1,200 lb of clothing given and contributed. Regards Julius Rosen Pennbrooke Fairways
Closed Thread

Tags
year, perfect, recently, people, shy

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.