Whatever happened to the B.V. (and Morse) resurfacing?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-20-2020, 06:34 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,385
Thanks: 4,176
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,593 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
There is absolutely no reason, if the original construction of these roads were done properly, they should be failing so soon after being built...with what is basically very light traffic.

Particularly irksome, is the fact that since they were sold to the county after being constructed...it is now the county's taxpayer's problem.

I'll let the smart folks figure out on their own...what really happened.

In the meantime, we can only watch the completion of these roads and stew on the signs saying..."your tax dollars at work."

I disagree with your words "very light traffic". Buena Vista and Morse carry a lot of construction traffic and big old trucks of every size carrying all kinds of supplies to local businesses we use and the supplies to build a lot of houses and not to mention all of the landscape trucks for us and for the construction too.

And I would like to make this point; THERE are no potholes, but there ARE a lot of FIXED potholes. One shows negligence and one shows ….well, that someone repaired the potholes.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-20-2020 at 07:19 AM.
  #17  
Old 02-20-2020, 08:36 AM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Disagree all you want, continued defense of Da Family on every single issue...doesn't change the facts.

First of all, given the gross tonnage of Morse & BV (including the occasional trucks) IS very light traffic...specifically compared to other similar roads.

Secondly, the failed sections are not the same type of "potholes"...as most of us recall from being up north.

The failed sections are areas where the thickness of the original asphalt (or depth/compaction of the sub-grade) was insufficient for the accumulated tonnage and it is simply peeling away/not adhering to the base D-1 (sub-grade)...for the traffic it's seeing.

The bottom line being, is that there isn't a legitimate reason if the original construction/engineering were done properly...ANY work should be needed so soon.

So it really comes down to 2 reasons:

1. The developer purposely tried to save money, by laying asphalt of inadequate depth.
2. The engineers hired by the developer, didn't know what they were doing (or were directed what to do)...when designing/designating the road construction.

Everyone should please note...the common denominator.

Add to the equation, that the original builder knew that the long-term maintenance costs would be passed on to the taxpayers and I think the answer to why repairs are needed so soon...becomes patently obvious.
  #18  
Old 02-20-2020, 09:10 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,736
Thanks: 489
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

So it really comes down to 2 reasons:

1. The developer purposely tried to save money, by laying asphalt of inadequate depth.
2. The engineers hired by the developer, didn't know what they were doing (or were directed what to do)...when designing/designating the road construction.


That's a silly post.



Your "1." Opinion, not fact.



Your "2." The County determined the spec's, not the engineers hired by the developer.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #19  
Old 02-20-2020, 09:36 AM
EdFNJ EdFNJ is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bailed out of NJ after 68yrs and headed south.
Posts: 3,007
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,910 Times in 784 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I disagree with your words "very light traffic". Buena Vista and Morse carry a lot of construction traffic and big old trucks of every size carrying all kinds of supplies to local businesses we use and the supplies to build a lot of houses and not to mention all of the landscape trucks for us and for the construction too.

And I would like to make this point; THERE are no potholes, but there ARE a lot of FIXED potholes. One shows negligence and one shows ….well, that someone repaired the potholes.

If they are "fixed" why are they spending a billion dollars to repave it? The potholes aren't "fixed" by any means. If they were "fixed" they wouldn't have to be "re-fixed" every 3 months. They are PATCHED and the PATCH keeps breaking up and driving over them is like riding on CR103. As of this morning SOME are potholes again and the rest are still patched. Someone in a bicycle club recently got injured on one of the non-existent potholes where half the patch disintegrated. It was repatched yet again a couple days ago (easy to spot the one that was just patched- it's the dark black one that is breaking up again).
  #20  
Old 02-20-2020, 10:08 AM
JP's Avatar
JP JP is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Village of St. James and Marquette, Michigan
Posts: 769
Thanks: 0
Thanked 95 Times in 51 Posts
Default

I think a lot of the cause of poor pot hole repair and road replacement is The Villages "gave" or "sold" the roads to the counties as per agreement. The counties repair teams are no way near as good as what The Villages used or had and I don't think they have the same vested interest in having good, smooth roads as The Villgages. I miss the days of near perfect roads almost everywhere in The Villages.
__________________
"I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more I have of it." -Thomas Jefferson
  #21  
Old 02-20-2020, 11:40 AM
eyc234 eyc234 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 304
Thanked 318 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Disagree all you want, continued defense of Da Family on every single issue...doesn't change the facts.

First of all, given the gross tonnage of Morse & BV (including the occasional trucks) IS very light traffic...specifically compared to other similar roads.

Secondly, the failed sections are not the same type of "potholes"...as most of us recall from being up north.

The failed sections are areas where the thickness of the original asphalt (or depth/compaction of the sub-grade) was insufficient for the accumulated tonnage and it is simply peeling away/not adhering to the base D-1 (sub-grade)...for the traffic it's seeing.

The bottom line being, is that there isn't a legitimate reason if the original construction/engineering were done properly...ANY work should be needed so soon.

So it really comes down to 2 reasons:

1. The developer purposely tried to save money, by laying asphalt of inadequate depth.
2. The engineers hired by the developer, didn't know what they were doing (or were directed what to do)...when designing/designating the road construction.

Everyone should please note...the common denominator.

Add to the equation, that the original builder knew that the long-term maintenance costs would be passed on to the taxpayers and I think the answer to why repairs are needed so soon...becomes patently obvious.
So what you are saying is that roads last forever and that there are only two possible variables that determine how long a roadway last! Oh and again it is a big conspiracy by the man to get us all!!
  #22  
Old 02-20-2020, 11:45 AM
eyc234 eyc234 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 285
Thanks: 304
Thanked 318 Times in 109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
That's a silly post.



Your "1." Opinion, not fact.



Your "2." The County determined the spec's, not the engineers hired by the developer.
Come on DE you know that everyone in the county is crooked and in the pocket of the developer!!! There are not honest people and those that are get thrown out by the all powerfuls!!!!
  #23  
Old 02-20-2020, 12:53 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
That's a silly post.

Your "1." Opinion, not fact.

Your "2." The County determined the spec's, not the engineers hired by the developer.
What's really "silly," is your opinion/assumption that the county was more than peripherally involved in what was then...private roads being built.

Not to mention, the proof is in the pudding, given the repairs needed so soon...after original construction.
  #24  
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
So what you are saying is that roads last forever and that there are only two possible variables that determine how long a roadway last! Oh and again it is a big conspiracy by the man to get us all!!

Please take the time to go back and read my post(s)...as I've said no such thing.

What I HAVE said, and stick by, is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore
...continued defense of Da Family on every single issue...doesn't change the facts.
Then please show us where comparable roads (particularly given the relatively light tonnage our roads have seen) built by a nearby county/municipality/the state, need a complete rehab...so soon after original construction.

I'll wait.
  #25  
Old 02-20-2020, 01:06 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,736
Thanks: 489
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
What's really "silly," is your opinion/assumption that the county was more than peripherally involved in what was then...private roads being built.

Not to mention, the proof is in the pudding, given the repairs needed so soon...after original construction.

The developer was required to meet county spec's because before any dirt was moved, all parties knew the plan was to turn the roads over to the county.



Silly boy, Trix are for kids.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #26  
Old 02-20-2020, 01:17 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,736
Thanks: 489
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default



not defending, just highlighting ignorance.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #27  
Old 02-20-2020, 02:16 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,385
Thanks: 4,176
Thanked 4,657 Times in 1,593 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

There are no pot holes.

Just fixed potholes.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #28  
Old 02-20-2020, 02:47 PM
charmed59 charmed59 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 562
Thanks: 45
Thanked 275 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Ask and ye shall receive. They are paving the left lane on Northbound Buena Vista today between St Charles and the Lake Miona Rec Center.
  #29  
Old 02-20-2020, 03:22 PM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 10,224
Thanks: 2,936
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. They are paving the left lane on Northbound Buena Vista today between St Charles and the Lake Miona Rec Center.
Thanks for the update charmed59. I don't live down that way but have a little background in the Concrete & Asphalt manufacturing business. See if you can get a pictures of the inspector taking bribes on the job. Transferring an envelope from pocket to pocket should do. See if you can find out the name of the Material Supplier so we can see if the State or County Inspector is taking Bribes to allow Sub Par Material to get into The Villages. If you see one of The Members of The Family or possibly Raymond Reddington handing out $100 bills or even $50's a picture will be helpful. That would make the Story we've read above more than a Story. It would then make it a FACT. I believe I've read that FACTS, LINKS & GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND from the person making accusations about people who worked like dogs to put the community together.

I've seen it before where some people can't accept other peoples success and must constantly criticize and come up with theories that have no basis of fact. Shameful. Finding fault is not a game or an accomplishment. It's a shame.
  #30  
Old 02-20-2020, 04:31 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,736
Thanks: 489
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,806 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Come on DE you know that everyone in the county is crooked and in the pocket of the developer!!! There are not honest people and those that are get thrown out by the all powerfuls!!!!



Okay, you caught me............I was trying to hide the facts. Only facts are posted on ToTV.


__________________
Mr. Helpful
Closed Thread

Tags
sign, electronic, beginning, roadwork, morse

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.