Mattress flipping

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2023, 11:23 AM
Default Mattress flipping

We have a very heavy king size mattress that requires flipping/rotating every few months. it is beyond our capability now and we are looking for movers etc. to come do this for us. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!!
Old 04-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,339 Times in 2,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset seeker View Post
We have a very heavy king size mattress that requires flipping/rotating every few months. it is beyond our capability now and we are looking for movers etc. to come do this for us. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!!
IMHO, you do not need a mover, a handyman (maybe with a helper) should be able to do this. There are several in The Villages, and I would offer, but my knees would greatly protest. Also, there are small delivery services that may be able to help. Finally you could call some of the mattress companies and ask if they offer the service or know of anyone that does.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,902 Times in 5,322 Posts

They are pretty easy to rotate if you do it slowly and have a smooth bunky board under it, but more difficult to flip. I think most newer mattresses don't need to be flipped because you can only sleep on one side. If your mattress is old, I would consider buying a new one that doesn't flip.
Old 04-02-2023, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,339 Posts

If your mattress can still be flipped it need to be replaced. If that is not an option, our mattress in the 80s paperwork said standard practice of mattress is rotate every 6 months, flip 6 months later. Repeat

Last edited by asianthree; 04-03-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 01:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,353 Times in 614 Posts

Are you sure it has to be flipped?

Most mattresses should not be flipped. Unless the manufacturer specifically recommends otherwise, you should not flip your mattress.

For more information see the following article.

Should You Flip or Rotate Your Mattress? | Sleep Foundation
Old 04-02-2023, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the link to that helpful, short article. From now on, we'll follow the rotating instructions. Also, much easier to do on a king mattress.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,774 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
Thanks for the link to that helpful, short article. From now on, we'll follow the rotating instructions. Also, much easier to do on a king mattress.
I don't know if this is of any help to you or not, but our neighbors both have some physical challenges. They have a male helper I call a combination housekeeper/handyman. They have him come every two week, he may do one time things or maybe he has jobs where he goes quarterly..if you are really interested I will ask for you. But he does not come and just vacuum, dust, etc. like a maid service, my neighbor does those things, but neither she nor her hubby can do things like clean the light fixtures, clean the TOPS of the china cabinet, etc. and one of things he does is turn and or rotate their mattress every so many months. She is able to steam mop her kitchen floor, but he pulls out the furniture and things like the refrigerator stove, etc. every 6 months or so to do a complete cleaning. You get the idea. So it's different than just having a woman come do the house cleaning once a week, so I am not sure what you call that kind of help he provides. Recently he put up a shower bar for them. Most cleaning women will not, can not, or do not, rearrange the furniture for you every so often, or when you tire of the current arrangement. Once a year he puts new batteries in all the smoke and CD alarms... the fire department would do that for them, but he just does that when he comes for his January regular day. He came last week and washed the lanai windows for them.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:20 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

I thought mattress flipping went out in the 1990s…
get rid of that thing and buy a new “Mattress in a Box” off AMAZON ! They are high quality and very inexpensive ! Treat yourself
Old 04-03-2023, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,306 Times in 564 Posts

List your mattress in CLASSIFIEDS … 1.00 will get you a huge response of less fortunate people than us!
Old 04-03-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
I thought mattress flipping went out in the 1990s…
get rid of that thing and buy a new “Mattress in a Box” off AMAZON ! They are high quality and very inexpensive ! Treat yourself
^^^^^^^^^^
This
Old 04-03-2023, 08:39 AM

A little back ground... This is a mattress from The Original Mattress Factory and it is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. It is what they call a hybrid mattress and it is very heavy. It does in fact need flipped/rotated every three months and the company sends me a reminder email. They do this for the price of a delivery fee ($70). I just feel this is an exorbitant cost for about 10 minutes of work. I just figured someone on here might have a reasonable solution. I don't need advice on buying a new mattress. Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2023, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,902 Times in 5,322 Posts

I would call a few handymen and ask for a price. They may give you a deal if they know they can come back every 3 months.

Here are two guys, but I don't have experience with them.

Joe Podrasky, 814-660-3848
Raj Teju, 352-587-4329
Old 04-03-2023, 12:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
They do this for the price of a delivery fee ($70). I just feel this is an exorbitant cost for about 10 minutes of work. I just figured someone on here might have a reasonable solution. Thanks!!
$70 is exorbitant.

This is Florida’s Friendliest Hometown!! No neighbors or friends that can come over for 5-10 minutes? For the price of a beer, I would think most people would do it.

Up north, people with snow plows would plow elderly neighbor’s sidewalks for free.
Old 04-03-2023, 12:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
A little back ground... This is a mattress from The Original Mattress Factory and it is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. It is what they call a hybrid mattress and it is very heavy. It does in fact need flipped/rotated every three months.
This is from The Original Mattress Factory website. Flipping is suggested but not necessary.

The majority of our mattresses are equally padded on both sides for your longtime comfort and support. Although you do not have to flip our two-sided mattresses, we suggest periodically rotating and flipping to extend the life of your bedding set and to minimize body impressions.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Here is an ad I saw on NextDoor. We have used this young man and he is prompt, polite, and efficient.

HIRE YOUR GRANDSON!!!
Looking to do the jobs you no longer want to do.
No job too small $20 per hour 1 hour minimum.
Hi all. My parents retired early and moved me to The Village of St. Charles. I will be a full-time sophomore at Lake Sumpter Community College in the fall and I currently work part-time evenings for UPS. I am looking for any odd jobs. I am not a handyman, think of me more as your grandson who wants to help around the house. I am fully able to move heavy items or do any other job you just do not want to do.
Text RJ Fashingbauer 815-566-2200.
I promise to get back to you as soon as I am off a job or out of class. I also promise to show up on-time ready to work.
Closed Thread

Tags
mattress, movers, recommendations, capability, requires

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.