Why do we as Sumter County taxpayers put up with this?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,774
Thanks: 493
Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,826 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
I am the OP.

Has anyone noticed that with 12 championship golf clubs above Hwy 44 that with additional 65,000 homes being developed south is Hwy 44 that all I have heard about is maybe ONE championship courses. The developers own the championship courses. I guess building thousands of more home makes more money than championship golf courses. No wonder the developers have raised the cost of playing their championship courses so that they can make room for the 65,000 home owners buying below Hwy 44.



Education:
Golf is dying, many experts say. According to one study by the golf industry group Pellucid Corp., the number of regular golfers fell from 30 to 20.9 million between 2002 and 2016. ... Unless the golf industry can change its ways, the decline will mean a lot of empty greens across the country. Jun 8, 2018
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #152  
Old 02-10-2020, 07:11 PM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 125
Thanks: 54
Thanked 63 Times in 21 Posts
Default

I requested Sumter County provide me with the last five Villages developers invoiced expenses. I find it interesting that the Villages developers presented multimillion dollar invoices to the county for reimbursement the EXACT day, July 10, 2018, the commissioners approved their 30 year contract! If it smells like poop it must be poop on the taxpayers!
  #153  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:02 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,024
Thanks: 59
Thanked 670 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Where did you get $150mil???
The $150 million figure is conservative. Only the Developer and his County Commissioners can give you the exact figure. In an October 19 article, the Orlando Sentinel cites a figure of $186 million just for roads. Thus, that number doesn't include libraries, fire and police stations and equipment, government buildings, sewage and water treatment plants, etc.--other infrastructure that other counties include in a developer's impact fee.

If you have a better figure, I would be glad to be educated.
  #154  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:40 PM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 125
Thanks: 54
Thanked 63 Times in 21 Posts
Default

I don’t see anything in the contract that this contract is counter active to the agreement! I think these charges should be billed back to the developers!
  #155  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,024
Thanks: 59
Thanked 670 Times in 222 Posts
Default Orlando Sentinel Article on the Massive Tax Hike

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1ePfGE9wqFGMXU

Every Villager should read this.
  #156  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:22 PM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 125
Thanks: 54
Thanked 63 Times in 21 Posts
Default The truth is revealed! Pay notice as the Village’s developers steal money from it re!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
  #157  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:23 PM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 125
Thanks: 54
Thanked 63 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Outstanding add to the conversation!
  #158  
Old 02-10-2020, 09:50 PM
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 10,512
Thanks: 82
Thanked 1,493 Times in 672 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The nasty, personal attacks on the author, for simply reporting the facts...should be starting in 4....3....2....
  #159  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,294
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,975 Times in 915 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Lauren Ritchie.....need I say more?
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #160  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:33 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 3,052
Thanks: 1,452
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Education:
Golf is dying, many experts say. According to one study by the golf industry group Pellucid Corp., the number of regular golfers fell from 30 to 20.9 million between 2002 and 2016. ... Unless the golf industry can change its ways, the decline will mean a lot of empty greens across the country. Jun 8, 2018
That is true in urban areas, with a younger population, and further north where there is a limited golf season. Here in the Villages golf is thriving, but it is also getting ridiculously expensive and difficult to get favorable T-times during the winter season. Increasing the size of the Villages by roughly 2/3 and opening only one Championship course, sometime TBD, is seriously diluting one of the primary reasons many Villagers decided to make this place their retirement destination.
  #161  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:42 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,024
Thanks: 59
Thanked 670 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Lauren Ritchie.....need I say more?
Could you please point out the factual errors rather than attacking the writer.
  #162  
Old 02-10-2020, 10:45 PM
Advogado Advogado is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,024
Thanks: 59
Thanked 670 Times in 222 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
The nasty, personal attacks on the author, for simply reporting the facts...should be starting in 4....3....2....
Yes, I see that the attacks on Lauren Ritchie have started already.
  #163  
Old 02-11-2020, 08:12 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,774
Thanks: 493
Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,826 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
That is true in urban areas, with a younger population, and further north where there is a limited golf season. Here in the Villages golf is thriving, but it is also getting ridiculously expensive and difficult to get favorable T-times during the winter season. Increasing the size of the Villages by roughly 2/3 and opening only one Championship course, sometime TBD, is seriously diluting one of the primary reasons many Villagers decided to make this place their retirement destination.



My point is the developer sees a trend and is planning for it.



I have NEVER had an issue getting a tee time.



If you look on the courses, rarely do you see a Villages' golf cart. If the "Southern" villagers are significantly impacting the courses...........you would see tons of Villages' golf carts. It ain't happening and you don't see the rentals.



Dooms Day is not around the corner.


__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #164  
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,774
Thanks: 493
Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,826 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
The $150 million figure is conservative. Only the Developer and his County Commissioners can give you the exact figure. In an October 19 article, the Orlando Sentinel cites a figure of $186 million just for roads. Thus, that number doesn't include libraries, fire and police stations and equipment, government buildings, sewage and water treatment plants, etc.--other infrastructure that other counties include in a developer's impact fee.

If you have a better figure, I would be glad to be educated.



Yes............Look at the County Budget. Planned expenditures are no where near that amount.


That's why I keep asking posters for factual numbers. Not made up numbers.


Stick to the facts.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #165  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 AM
neilbcox neilbcox is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 125
Thanks: 54
Thanked 63 Times in 21 Posts
Default

UPDATE!

On July 10, 2018 Sumter County Commissioners approved and signed the 30 year NO BID contract with the Villages developers. In this contract it states that the developers can submit reimbursement invoices to Sumter County.

On July 10, 2018 after signing this contract the developers submitted over millions of dollars for reimbursement for projects BEFORE this contract was signed! I have a copy of this executed agreement and no where in the contract does it state that the developers can receive reimbursement money retroactively! Is this illegal? Should the developers pay back these millions back to the taxpayers?
Closed Thread

Tags
developers, sumter, county, taxpayers, commissioners

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.