Why are people in TV selling their homes?

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
I just signed my contract Wednesday and I didn't get any deed restrictions to review before putting pen to paper.

Is that fair?
Well if you woke up and smelled the coffee you would check with your wife and she would show them to you.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,550 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Well if you woke up and smelled the coffee you would check with your wife and she would show them to you.
You are a wise and fair person. Good luck with all that is about to happen. Hope you will enjoy this wonderful place as much as we do.

Hugs.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I just signed my contract Wednesday and I didn't get any deed restrictions to review before putting pen to paper.

Is that fair?
If you bought a preowned home it is the obligation of the previous owner to provide them , Also the realtor is obligated to see that you received them. In most states this is a state requirement. Are you saying that you did not know that there were deed restrictions? I can't imagine that anyone would make a very large home investment without First reading and understanding the requirements of recorded restrictions.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
I live on a street in Pennecamp that is just over 2 years old and 5 homes have sold just in the last 4 months. None sold before then. We are in designer homes. 1 moved to a Premier, 1 moved to another designer but with a golf course view, 2 moved to be closer to their grandchildren and family, 1 couple split up sold and moved to 2 villas. All homes sold in under 3 weeks.
This is one of the few posts that actually addresses the thread topic .. "why do people move?" I think Rayan offers good insight as to why people buy in new neighborhoods and then quickly sell.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

Gotta agree with Tom Hannon 100%. It's a low person who smiles at their neighbor out of one side of their face and then informs "the authorities" about them over minor and/or imagined deed infractions with the other side of their face. Maybe the marketing line for TV should be changed to "Florida's Most Two-Faced Hometown".
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Gotta agree with Tom Hannon 100%. It's a low person who smiles at their neighbor out of one side of their face and then informs "the authorities" about them over minor and/or imagined deed infractions with the other side of their face. Maybe the marketing line for TV should be changed to "Florida's Most Two-Faced Hometown".
One such disgusting incident rightly comes up for review here, and we should stereotype and label 90,000 residents???
Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Sage

One more reason to move out. If I die first, my wife says she will move out to be closer to the kids and grand-kids. If the other way around, and since I don't like a pool, I will sell this big house and find a court yard villa close to Cody's. Without my special girl, I will have to stay sedated all the time to survive.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
One such disgusting incident rightly comes up for review here, and we should stereotype and label 90,000 residents???
ilovetv thank you for the succinct thought. For my personal use to respond to one of my pet peeves, I would modify your sentence ever so slightly:

"One such incident comes up for review and we would stereotype 90,000 residents?"

My pet peeve? When folks extrapolate an incident, a statement, a condition, a behavior, etc and then extrapolate and present it as though it were the general condition.....when it is almost NEVER EVER the case.

A tactic well worn out by our 24/7 media. The taking of a minority report (not race) and presenting it as a general condition. The making of a banquet out of a ham sandwich!!!!!!!!!!!

Ther I feel better already!!!!!!

btk
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Didn't the administration ask everyone to refrain from directing personal comments to other site members. The administration has set the rules. For someone who doesn't break the rules, you sure are bending them a lot. Lets give this thread a rest.
I have to agree with you on this one.I am just finding my way on this site,and yet I sense there how things are played out.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
ilovetv thank you for the succinct thought. For my personal use to respond to one of my pet peeves, I would modify your sentence ever so slightly:

"One such incident comes up for review and we would stereotype 90,000 residents?"

My pet peeve? When folks extrapolate an incident, a statement, a condition, a behavior, etc and then extrapolate and present it as though it were the general condition.....when it is almost NEVER EVER the case.

A tactic well worn out by our 24/7 media. The taking of a minority report (not race) and presenting it as a general condition. The making of a banquet out of a ham sandwich!!!!!!!!!!!

btk

You got a nice brain on ya there fella.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 AM
Default Some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnDeb View Post
My hubby and I are coming up and staying Mon and Tues at the comfort Inn Suites to look and see homes??? Being on fixed incomes, how expensive is it to live in TV?

All info is welcome
When you opened this thread with “Why are people selling in TV?” it wasn’t clear till your later post that your concern is with the COST of living here.

Homes here can usually range from about $60,000 on the historic side (there was actually one recently in the $40s!) to $1 million plus in the premier villages. There HAS TO BE something that fits your budget! Keep in mind that the amenities, activities, clubs, rec centers, pools (except for country club pools), executive golf courses, and so forth are open to ALL residents, no matter where in TV they live.

I believe that the best of the possibilities is a resale. Many have bonds already paid off or much reduced (and the bonds in the new construction areas can be astronomical!), and most homes have some forms of improvement that would cost considerably more to put into a newly constructed home in areas which, while construction continues, is like living in a dust bowl. My property taxes are ONE-THIRD of what they were before I moved here, and I don’t have a mortgage. My property tax bill would be higher (possibly considerably higher) if I had a bond to pay off, as the annual bond payment comes with the property tax bill. These are also important points to consider.

All these factors must be taken into consideration before making ANY move. There is a home here in TV for nearly everyone in any economic position—and it is a great place to live where you can fill up your schedule as shown in the advertising, or you can live quietly in a beautiful setting.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Sage

Now...before they blow the whistle on us for hijacking a thread...to summarize.

The people that I have personally KNOWN here in the five years we have been here have sold to move to a different home here on campus because they wanted a better view, different (larger or smaller) home, (7) moved back to whence they came because the dating situation didn't pan out (1) died and moved to the Village of Heavenly.(1) (Miss you so much Ruthie) moved to switch a neighbor situation (1) ( WE weren't the neighbors...now don't jump to conclusions) Moved back because they missed grandkids or just got grandkids (1)

When we were first looking for homes here we ran into a couple who were looking for their third home here. They had a Gardenia and they were buying a Gardenia that backed onto a view they liked better. They said the arrangement of the furniture would be very easy, lol, and when asked if this was the final move, they said they didn't know. Our sales rep, Jim McLaughlin has moved four times, one for a bigger home and then to a smaller home and then for a newer home and now one that is big enough for mom too.

There are all kinds of very inexpensive options to move your stuff and homes are easy to sell. In fact, most of us do not need a realtor to sell a home.

Gracie who is on second house here, both new.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are all kinds of very inexpensive options to move your stuff and homes are easy to sell. In fact, most of us do not need a realtor to sell a home.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that. There are tons of homes on the market iin The Villages that have been on the market for quite some time. And there are a myriad of reasons they have not sold. Maybe priced too high, bad location, you name it. To make a general statement that homes are easy to sell and you don't even need a realtor, is really stretching it, IMHO. We did sell our own home a few years ago without a realtor (but that was during the big housing boom), and some people are doing it now. But there is quite a bit of competitition from the Developer's new homes, and some locations (south of 466 for example) are probably easier to sell than north of 466. I would guess most use a realtor or The Villages salespeople . Our neighbor near Lake sumter south of 466 took at least a $40,000 loss on their home last year, and it took a long time to sell, using a variety of realtors and The Villages salespeople. And it was a really nice designer in a good central location. When you look at The Villages real estate ads, you can follow a house for awhile. If it doesn't sell within a few months, they remove it from the real estate listings, and then relist it a month later with a new number. So it looks like a house is "sold" when in fact it is still on the market.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

btk
Actually it's much truer that either of you think, or want to think.

Why do you ask? OK..you didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway. I've spent decades in the radio business and over the years I have become very skilled at reading monthly & quarterly radio ratings reports. Radio & TV ratings and other polling services use the same method to obtain their results. They sample a small cross-section of a particular universe and then project the responses against the whole of that particular universe. (city, state, nation)For example in our recent election..Most polling companies said that the race would be very close. (It was.) They also said that Pres. Obama would get a 2nd term. (He did.) There were a couple polls that were way out in either direction but they were ultimately discounted and found to be incorrect. Like most things, the answer is found somewhere in the middle.

I came to TOTV quite by accident. I was doing a Google search about something I wanted to know about TV and up popped TOTV. While it did not answer my question, I thought that it would be an interesting place to learn about things & people here. I have mentioned before, but in the interest of full disclosure I will mention it again. We did not come here to retire, (we are still working) but so that my wife could assist her parents as they got older.

While I thought it might be interesting to live in TV my wife hates it. So we would be looking at other communities as well. I came to TOTV as somebody who was somewhat disposed to living here, and was hoping to maybe find some items that might sway my wife's thinking about things. I was NOT a Kool-Aid drinker, so in many ways I needed to be convinced.

Since I have discovered TOTV I had read every single comment on every single thread. There are some who I'm sure think I comment too much, but in truth, I comment very little. After reading all of these threads for a number of months I have used the same method as radio ratings and polling companies do to reach my results.

While it is true that the majority of the 90,000 Villages residents do not actively comment on TOTV, there is indeed a workable cross-section of residents participating here. After doing the reading here is what I have learned from this...

Residing in TV are a majority of smug, self-important people who think that their sewage is scentless because THEY live in TV and YOU do not. There is a very definate pecking order in TV..Those whom you call "Frogs" who live here year-round and the only time they are ever leaving is when the big black station wagon hauls you to the junkyard. Their attitude is that they are FAR superior to everyone else who lives in TV. Then come the "Snowbirds". People who own homes here, but only come during the winter or for vacation periods. As judged by the first group they are OK, but they are definately NOT one of "them". And finally comes those who dare to show up in the winter and pay rent. You despise them. Anything that happens between December & April that disturbs your nirvana can be blamed on them.

Overall the majority of TV residents are a collection of whining, grumbling, kvetching old people who despite having 1800 clubs & activities and 36 or more golf courses, their biggest activity is to complain about virtually everything. You whine about your neighbors who who walk their dogs to the post office boxes because the poor pooch might inconveniently relieve himself along the way. You whine about your neighbors who put some sort of decorative pot or trinket on THEIR garden or front steps. You whine about the possibility of the various unwashed hordes who just might invade your nirvana in Brownwood or other places. Never mind that these are open public places & private businesses. You carefully veil your racism in language which any person with a brain can figure out in seconds. I could write on and on about what I have learned. I have also learned that you have been building lots of churches. Either you're just interested in building buildings or you become deaf once you enter the building.

While TOTV is a place for residents to communicate, it is also a place where people come to LEARN about TV. If you are not already convinced that TV is nirvana or God's Little Green Acre then taking the time to really read this forum will very much likely convince you that it is not.

I came here looking for information and to be convinced. I have come away with the impression that the majority of people (but not all) here are snide, two-faced and whiny.

I have a great deal of admiration for the Morse family. I don't know them, but admire their vision and their hard work to put such a place together. I don't know if they got tired of playing with their Department-56 village under the Christmas tree and decided to build a real one for themselves or what, but they are geniuses. I know that they are very, very careful in their marketing. With that in mind, I'm surprised that they allow TOTV. It does a wonderful job of talking people OUT of coming to TV.

Again..this is what TOTV has taught ME. And speaking only for ME..What I have learned is that TV is a city. Just like any other city. It is not nirvana. While it's a nice place, many cities are nice places and many people like where they live. Heck..even Toldeo was loved by Max Klinger. But the hype of TV being "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" is a lie. When you look at it from a distance it seems unbelieveable, almost fantastic, but up close, the reality is a lot more gritty & not all that pretty.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post

Since I have discovered TOTV I had read every single comment on every single thread. There are some who I'm sure think I comment too much, but in truth, I comment very little. After reading all of these threads for a number of months I have used the same method as radio ratings and polling companies do to reach my results. Trying to present your opinions as equal to scientific polling data is laughable.

While it is true that the majority of the 90,000 Villages residents do not actively comment on TOTV, there is indeed a workable cross-section of residents participating here. After doing the reading here is what I have learned from this... I would argue that the regular posters on TOTV are not at all representative of the community as a whole. They are likely much more passionate and engaged than the average resident, and many, like myself, do not live in TV - yet.

Residing in TV are a majority of smug, self-important people who think that their sewage is scentless because THEY live in TV and YOU do not. That is a wild generalization and exaggeration IMO. I am sure there are some that fit that description, but not the majority. In fact this post seems to, with all due respect, show you to be in that category. There is a very definate pecking order in TV..Those whom you call "Frogs" who live here year-round and the only time they are ever leaving is when the big black station wagon hauls you to the junkyard. Their attitude is that they are FAR superior to everyone else who lives in TV. Then come the "Snowbirds". People who own homes here, but only come during the winter or for vacation periods. As judged by the first group they are OK, but they are definately NOT one of "them". And finally comes those who dare to show up in the winter and pay rent. You despise them. Anything that happens between December & April that disturbs your nirvana can be blamed on them.

Overall the majority of TV residents are a collection of whining, grumbling, kvetching old people who despite having 1800 clubs & activities and 36 or more golf courses, their biggest activity is to complain about virtually everything. Once again a wild generalization and very insulting portrait of many good, thoughtful, people. You whine about your neighbors who who walk their dogs to the post office boxes because the poor pooch might inconveniently relieve himself along the way. You whine about your neighbors who put some sort of decorative pot or trinket on THEIR garden or front steps. You whine about the possibility of the various unwashed hordes who just might invade your nirvana in Brownwood or other places. Never mind that these are open public places & private businesses. You carefully veil your racism in language which any person with a brain can figure out in seconds. I could write on and on about what I have learned. I have also learned that you have been building lots of churches. Either you're just interested in building buildings or you become deaf once you enter the building. Pretty bitter viewpoint, and unwarrented IMO.

While TOTV is a place for residents to communicate, it is also a place where people come to LEARN about TV. If you are not already convinced that TV is nirvana or God's Little Green Acre then taking the time to really read this forum will very much likely convince you that it is not. I found TOTV three years ago and, much like you, went back about six months and read most posts that seemed of interest to me. I came away with a very different view from yours - it made me ever more anxious to come and see for myself. I have now been there 3 times and am committed to rent this coming Feb. and Mar. and still find the place, and most of the people amazing.

I came here looking for information and to be convinced. I have come away with the impression that the majority of people (but not all) here are snide, two-faced and whiny. The Majority? Please share your scientific data for that assumption

Again..this is what TOTV has taught ME. And speaking only for ME..What I have learned is that TV is a city. Just like any other city. It is not nirvana. While it's a nice place, many cities are nice places and many people like where they live. Heck..even Toldeo was loved by Max Klinger. But the hype of TV being "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" is a lie. When you look at it from a distance it seems unbelieveable, almost fantastic, but up close, the reality is a lot more gritty & not all that pretty. Well, we have been up close and looked for the warts, and have found very very few, relative to other places we have lived or visited.
I don't totally disagree with some of your contentions, but I think you have done what you criticized by making some excessive generalizations and faulty assumptions. Hope you and your wife find a place to be happy. Ed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.