Auto Train

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

We took the Auto Train several times before we moved here. Took the private bedroom with it's own bathroom and shower. Met some very nice folks and having the seclusion was nice. As the years went on the amenities went down and the price has gone up, not sure what today's rate would be. It beats the heck out of driving if you are a point to point got to get there person. If you are a meanderer like us, well lets just say we may take 4 - 5 days to get to PA.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-02-2021, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We are coming down to look at a house to buy this week and considering the autotrain, bringing one car to leave with a friend when we go back home to finish selling our house.

Any experience with the autotrain? what is the best way to get from the Villages to the Samford train station?

Thanks in advance
I took the auto train from Lorton, Virginia when I moved here. I loved it. I cannot remember the best route from Sanford. Just used GPS. About a 45 minute drive.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

When I moved here 11 years ago, I had two cars and a cat. No pets on the auto train so I flew and my son and his girlfriend took the autotrain with the cars. It couldn’t have been easier.
Now I’m moving back to Philly with one car, no cat and possibly a traveling companion. I’ll definitely look into the autotrain, but probably use a sleeper car if there are two of us.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgiii View Post
We are coming down to look at a house to buy this week and considering the autotrain, bringing one car to leave with a friend when we go back home to finish selling our house.

Any experience with the autotrain? what is the best way to get from the Villages to the Samford train station?

Thanks in advance

Yes, we have taken the auto train 5 or 6 times, and enjoy it. Sort of an adventure. You have choices of accommodations from a private sleeper to sitting up all night in a common area. Ask the agent when you call to describe all options. Some do not have private restrooms. We have always taken the sleeper compartment. They are small, but adequate for one night. Food service was surprisingly good. Attitude of the crew was also quite good. Ride gets a bit bouncy at several locations along the route, so most folks don't sleep thru the night.

Driving takes about 90 minutes to TV. If you like highways, use the FL Turnpike, if not, a combination of 441 and 44.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:02 AM

You are correct. You must have an auto, motorcycle, truck to be on the auto train.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:00 AM

I took the autotrain to arrive in The Villages when I moved here. It was nice, but one problem: scratches. My car had many small scratches when it got off the train that were not there before. This was unsightly and had an effect on the car's value when I traded it in. I was the first to get on the train, so being at the front might have effected things. Autotrain supposedly will do something if they damage your car, I think, but you would need proof of damage, probably photos from every angle before boarding, perhaps with the site in the background to prove where taken? If you can put on a car cover, you will probably be OK, but I am not 100 percent certain these can be put on the car before boarding...I think they have to drive your car on and off. On the other hand, I assume the train would not continue to run if it were known that most cars sustain significant damage in the way mine did.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:03 AM

We take autotrain every year and get bedroom with private bath. I believe autotrain runs at half capacity since pandemic started.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 AM

We took the auto train and arrived in The Villages Sunday. We booked a handicapped sleeper. Prior to this trip we booked a bedroom sleeper. The trip is awful. The sleeper cars are dated with original fixtures. The bunks are narrow and the top bunk inches from the ceiling. We bring our own food because on our first trip the food was terrible. Although they did deliver it to our room due to COVID. We pay extra to unload our car first. The train cuts the trip in half but will certainly consider driving.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

I've taken the auto train a couple of times.
It was a necessity, I did not want to spend the time driving from N.Y.
Dinner was fine, I booked a room for my wife and myself.
Let me be honest we booked a small broom closet.
If you take the train it will take you a couple of days to recover.
If you have the time drive.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
A few years back we took the auto train in order to bring a car down for use at our (then) seasonal condo in Pinellas County. We flew back home, though, so we didn't have to get back to Sanford.

The auto train experience beat the heck out of a two-day drive from Philly. We didn't book a sleeper car, just tried to sleep in regular seats. It wasn't fun, but I'm glad we did it. Sometimes the tickets are pricey but we happened to travel at a time when it was fairly inexpensive.

TIP: We got to the station in VA very early, which meant that our car got put on the train early. "First in" means "Last out". We had to wait a couple of hours for our car to be unloaded as a result. If I did it again I would plan to arrive later in the day. After that long (all night) train ride you will want to get your car and get on the road to TV.

Good luck (with your travels AND your house hunting!)

kathy
I have been told, and can attest by experience, that the time you arrive has no correlation to the order the cars get off. You can pay extra to have your car off early, but other than that, there is no set order.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not think you can take the auto train back home without a car.
But you could always take Amtrak or fly back.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:06 AM

Don’t get to the station after 2, you won’t be loaded on that days train.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I loved the billboards as a kid and I still love them, tells me how far I've come.

The Villages Florida

What I hate, or really laugh at are the JR Discount Cigarette signs since I quit 15 years ago and don't have any desire.

The Villages Florida

With cigarette sales down, they've added books, dolls, towels & jewelry.

The Villages Florida
they got rid of everything except cigars and cigarettes 5 years ago .... all 3 Carolina locations
Old 03-03-2021, 09:10 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Checking Tripadvisor, they have 301 reviews and most of the latest ones from 2020 are only 2 or 3 stars out of 5. Probably like most of the hospitality industry, the pandemic has put a hurt on them. I'm sure travel to Florida is way down.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER - Prices & Motel Reviews (Hamer, SC) - Tripadvisor

They're missing the opportunity to advertise it as a fountain of youth. If I stayed there I would feel fifty years younger, like I was back in my 20s again, because it has a 1960s to 70s vibe.

The Villages Florida
South of the Border has been run down for many years. But they don't seem to be affected much by the pandemic. Went by there 4 times in the past month and still the same as last year.
Closed Thread

Tags
train, house, autotrain, selling, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.