Home values/resell

Old 05-20-2024, 03:20 PM
Default Home values/resell

It appears that the used/pre-owned homes cost more than new. I understand that making a house your home takes money.

My question is home appreciation almost guaranteed in TV? We are looking in Denham/Dabney area but really want Eastport when it gets closer to being finished.

Should I take the discounted price and bank on a decent return when I sell in 3 years? I see so many listed and they don't seem to move that fast on the pre-owned.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,895 Times in 3,709 Posts

No Guarantee.

Highly probable, based on long-term history.

But no guarantee.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,152 Times in 576 Posts
Default They Have Been There A While

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
It appears that the used/pre-owned homes cost more than new. I understand that making a house your home takes money.

My question is home appreciation almost guaranteed in TV? We are looking in Denham/Dabney area but really want Eastport when it gets closer to being finished.

Should I take the discounted price and bank on a decent return when I sell in 3 years? I see so many listed and they don't seem to move that fast on the pre-owned.
Denham/Dabney houses have been there since last fall, that should tell you something. I would hold off.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-21-2024, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,294 Times in 5,459 Posts

My crystal ball does not work as it used to. History says prices will go up but at this point who knows?
Old 05-21-2024, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,654 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
It appears that the used/pre-owned homes cost more than new.
That’s because pre owned homes have after market improvements, new home do not.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,032 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:

IMO think you appear to be wrong, but in your situation you’ve creating narrow window for increase in profit? Apples to apples new homes are higher and bond makes them way higher. IMO 60K or more. My house appears to be worth 130K more from purchase? But I been here 10 years.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,294 Times in 5,459 Posts

Quote:

Polished up my crystal ball and this is what we see

Prices have come down since interest rates went up by a lot.

Fed will no reduce interest rates for now so do not think home prices will go up or down but will stay about the same.

Over next few year the ball says the price of new homes will fluctuate.

Keep in mind it has never been wrong. However it is not always right either
Old 05-21-2024, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

It kind of depends on how close to Eastport you want to be. Eastport is a new town square. There are new Villages going in all around Eastport. Some are being built now, some in the future.

As far as Denham/Dabney, you can get good deals on houses now. But there are no preserve sites left. Those will appreciate the fastest. If you plan on moving in 2 to 5 years there's a good change you could make some money from a Denham/Dabney house. But if you are planning on moving next year at this time to a new Village in the Eastport area, you may not make out too well.

Also keep in mind you will be making bond payments and then when you move to Eastport area you will have a new higher bond.

Regarding interest rates, my opinion, the people waiting to buy for rates to come down are not making a wise decision. House prices pretty much always go up in the long run. You can refinance an interest rate, you can't make prices come down.
Old 05-21-2024, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

The best way to answer this question is to research yourself. Choose a few homes you like on VLS and MLS then carefully watch. This week, I saw a preowned home a family member likes listed for $625,000. A few days later, I saw the same model on the same street listed for $540,000. The difference is NOT the home upgrades. The cheaper actually has more and better improvements. The reason the second home arrived much cheaper on the market is because it had been on VLS for six months with no interest. Now, it is on MLS at a much lower cost. The more expensive home is brand new to MLS. There is no indication it was up for sale prior.

Home prices are CRAZY! Anyone who doesn't research before buying or purchases with the idea of making a huge profit in a year, obviously, has not taken the time to study the CURRENT market. It is much different than a few years ago. Many are unable to sell or are taking a loss to get out.

Some posters will come on this thread and tell you my information is incorrect. My response is: watch VLS and MLS carefully for a month or so. Maybe the style of home you are looking for shows resale profits are GREAT. However, many homes will reveal the opposite. A giant inventory did not occur because homes are selling. The homes are sitting stagnant. Many must switch from VLS to MLS (vice versa) once their contract expires with their listing agent. It is a BUYERS MARKET. Nothing a seller can do but hope for a sale.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:23 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Real Estate in Florida is subject to a lot of things. Interest rates at time. Bonds on new homes in TV only. When the last hurricane hit and how many hit in a period of time.
Have lived in Florida for over 40 years, have owned numerous houses and watched up and downs. Many up, but sometimes large downs for a while.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Two reasons the price on a preowned property with the same floor plan is more than new build. First, aftermarket improvements and second, location. Houses near the squares and golf cart accessible shopping sell for more. The current “sweet spot” is between Lake Sumpter and Brownwood.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:52 AM

I would be looking at Waters Edge if I wanted to buy/build a new home once they start building there due to the proximity of Eastport just across from the entrance. I’d think there could be good appreciation there once the square gets finished. Good luck in your search!
Old 05-22-2024, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Don’t forget to include closing costs in your thinking. They add up. One of the biggest costs is the sales commission when you sell. And then factor in costs of ‘improvements’ that you make to your 3-year home. Your hoped-for appreciation would need to be much more than closing costs + improvement costs + time value of money in a period of higher interest rates to make it a good bet.

I believe the days of almost-certain average home appreciation over 10% per year around here are over for now as long as mortgage lending rates are high compared to recent historical levels. This means local home appreciation before lending rates jumped in 2022 may not be very relevant now.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I would absolutely buy a house in Denham/Dabney to live in but I wouldn’t buy it to sell in 3 years. There’s a reason they’ve been discounted for so long. There’s plenty of supply but not the demand.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:26 AM

Include the BOND when comparing the price of New & Used Homes. Also, most Pre-Owned (Used) homes have many upgrades, including landscaping, and other custom details that are very costly and increase value.

Tags
home, listed, move, closer, finished

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.