In need of plumbing services? Buyer beware!

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2023, 12:19 PM
Default In need of plumbing services? Buyer beware!

I recently sought estimates for a simple plumbing job - running a water line across a 30' garage to a new outdoor hose bib. I got the following three estimates:

1. Mike Scott Plumbing $350 (no estimate fee)
2. Anthony Torri Plumbing $325 (no estimate fee)
3. Frank Gay Services $2158 ($38 estimate fee)

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promised a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

My silence cannot be purchased for $38. I am a new homeowner in The Villages. The majority of service companies that I have dealt with have been upstanding and a pleasure to do business with, however, when I find a company that exploits and takes advantage of unsuspecting homeowners, I want to share my experience and help others avoid making a bad decision.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

There are lots of complaints about Frank Gay services on this site and others. A contractor should provide a written quote without charging anything because they didn't do anything. If people start paying for estimates, I may start driving around providing high dollar estimates for all kinds of projects, and I won't ever need to do any work.
Old 04-25-2023, 12:49 PM

^
Exactly- charging for an estimate is a non-starter
Old 04-25-2023, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Silvia View Post
I recently sought estimates for a simple plumbing job - running a water line across a 30' garage to a new outdoor hose bib. I got the following three estimates:

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promisMike&Siviaed a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

My silence cannot be purchased for $38. I am a new homeowner in The Villages. The majority of service companies that I have dealt with have been upstanding and a pleasure to do business with, however, when I find a company that exploits and takes advantage of unsuspecting homeowners, I want to share my experience and help others avoid making a bad decision.
Hey folks. Let's show Frank Gay we are watching and listening. Also lets say thanks to Mike and Silvia for not being bought out for $38. Go to MikeandSilvia's original post and hit the thank you button. It is the thumbs up button at the bottom. As they say there is power in numbers.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-25-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Looks like Frank Gay was trying to give you a real "Service".
Old 04-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

After two calls to Frank Gay Services, seeking to speak to a manager and being promised a callback, I finally got through to a customer service person who said that they would refund my $38 estimate fee if I signed an agreement to keep my dissatisfaction silent. The form required me to not "post or author any detrimental reviews, blogs, etc. regarding the Company, in any form, whether written or oral."

Another reason I do not solicit multiple estimates. We use Mike Scott. They have been fair and are prompt. Nothing in this world is "free". It is an added cost to do business.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:14 PM
Send a message via ICQ to willis100 Send a message via AIM to willis100 Send a message via Yahoo to willis100 Send a message via Skype™ to willis100

Very similar happened to me about 3 months ago. I paid the $38 and said no way!
Old 04-26-2023, 04:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

Is it possible that the first two estimates were for running a pipe on the surface along the base of the wall, while the Frank Gay estimate was for running a pipe under the slab, or else inside the wall and through the attic? That would be a lot more work, but I think building codes in some parts of the country might require it.
Old 04-26-2023, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There are lots of complaints about Frank Gay services on this site and others. A contractor should provide a written quote without charging anything because they didn't do anything. If people start paying for estimates, I may start driving around providing high dollar estimates for all kinds of projects, and I won't ever need to do any work.
Now, there's a business model for a retiree.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:02 AM

Thanks for your posting. I have not seen positive comments on the Frank Gay company.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Wow, that's unbelievable. Shame on Frank Gay.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:22 AM

Please put this post on "Next Door" also as there are many, many readers there. People should be warned.
I have used Mike Scott twice. The first time for a split pipe going from the meter to the home. Very satisfied with their work and charge. The 2nd time was just ok due to the repair person they sent out not the charge or co.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:55 AM

Had a whole house water filter installed by the company that was bought by Frank Gay, Kiley, I think it was, when it was time to replace the filter elements They would not sell me the two elements but would replace them for me for $239. I have done this job on my old home and RV numerous times. With a bit of research on the Internet, I found the replacement part numbers and ordered them. A couple of days later, the two sets arrived and one was installed. The cost for the parts.....$30.

Frank Gay should be called Frank James as in Frank and Jesse James. I would not recommend these people to anyone.

Last edited by WingedFoot78; 04-27-2023 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Foolish to pay a fee for an estimate, you lose.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,377 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Looks like Frank Gay was trying to give you a real "Service".
You spelt 'Shafting' incorrectly.
Closed Thread

Tags
estimate, plumbing, fee, $38, services

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.