once You Buy.....Do Really Upgrade 2 Times?

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
It was true before the bubble burst. People could double or triple there money. We bought in 2006, we could sell for what we paid, maybe, but not the improvement s.
We've known and met quite a few people who've moved a couple of times within TV, and none of them did it to "double or triple their money" nor "before the bubble burst". They did it because they could afford to be flexible and try something different that would be more comfortable in a new life stage they'd entered.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Sage
Default Check out your neighbors before buying

I have no plans on moving as i love everything about my home, but my next door neighbor just sold their house that they owned for a year. They have a disruptive neighbor behind them and can't live where they are. I suspect, in addition to not having enough space or having too much space, that people move because they bought a home with a kissing lanai and need more privacy. People talk too loudly, play music too loudly and have barking dogs and when you live so close together a kissing lanai is not such a good thing. It's not always too much or too little space....it could be bad neighbors.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Default Three times here!

1st house (designer) purchased in January 2006 (Village of Mallory Hill), damaged by tornado in Feb 2007. 2nd house purchased Feb 2007 (Village of Largo). 3rd house built March 2010 (Village of Hemingway).

When the tornado damaged our 1st home, we were told it could be rebuilt with 3-4 months...we knew better.(it took a year to rebuild). We decided to purchase a larger designer (Bridgeport) and rent the 1st home when repaired. The second house met our needs - except no golf cart garage and no view. After 3 years in our second house, we decided we wanted a golf cart garage, better view (water) and other enhancements (more open kitchen, hall closet, larger lanai, garage, dining area and bedroom area). Our choice was Bridgeport II+. The second house was sold when we built our third. I think that we finally have it right!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I have no plans on moving as i love everything about my home, but my next door neighbor just sold their house that they owned for a year. They have a disruptive neighbor behind them and can't live where they are. I suspect, in addition to not having enough space or having too much space, that people move because they bought a home with a kissing lanai and need more privacy. People talk too loudly, play music too loudly and have barking dogs and when you live so close together a kissing lanai is not such a good thing. It's not always too much or too little space....it could be bad neighbors.
As we closed today on our home in the Village of Fernadina, lets hope that those "barking dogs"..........."noisy neighbors"............and..........."loud music".....are not anywhere near my home.

Are these exceptions to the rule or do people experience these problems with neighbors? What's your experience?
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriaGrandparents2013 View Post
As we closed today on our home in the Village of Fernadina, lets hope that those "barking dogs"..........."noisy neighbors"............and..........."loud music".....are not anywhere near my home.

Are these exceptions to the rule or do people experience these problems with neighbors? What's your experience?
These houses are so close together, of course you are going to hear something

We've found it to be an occasional occurrence, coming from the villas over the wall from us, and just ignore it. It never lasts long. This community is almost akin to a condo community, and some people are just not going to be happy living so close to their neighbors. Instead of adjusting, they will complain. In which case they probably should move, hopefully to a larger lot that backs up onto a golf course or water.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:

I think in general, people are respectful of others. But, the houses are really close in the rear, so privacy can be an issue. Remember, you will do most of your living in the rear of the house. Do diligence when picking a lot or a home.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:

Every community has a few bad neighbors, but we haven't seen any in our courtyard villa neighborhood of about 70 homes. In fact, it's like having family all around us and chances are, you'll have that feeling too.

And most neighbors in TV would not scare off potential buyers with stories out of context, if you'd ever decide to sell.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:44 AM
Veteran member

I understand that a landscaped screen off your lanai helps with privacy however will of course not help with disruptive noise.

I would assume if presented correctly that neighbor would be willing to share in landscape cost as both benefit to a mutually agreeable plan.

Can anyone share any stories of a neighbor shared landscape screening project?
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Many people with people behind will enclose their lanai - enclosing with glass works best for sound dampening. This helps take care of potential noise issues and also helps keep the lanai free of dust and pollens which can be problematic at certain times of the year. With some nice privacy landscaping for visual privacy, you're all set.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Every community has a few bad neighbors, but we haven't seen any in our courtyard villa neighborhood of about 70 homes. In fact, it's like having family all around us and chances are, you'll have that feeling too.

And most neighbors in TV would not scare off potential buyers with stories out of context, if you'd ever decide to sell.
Agree! We have 62 homes in our CYV and we are like family! It is our first and last home in TV.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwint7 View Post
Hi everyone--I'm replying for the first time after lurking for quite awhile so hopefully I am doing this right! Hubby and I bought our patio villa last September to be our "fun home" in The Villages. We live just 2 hours away in Fleming Island and enjoy long weekends and holidays at our Villages home as I am still teaching and will be for 2 more years. At that time we plan on buying a larger home to be our forever home in paradise. From my rather short time being a homeowner in TV I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what home you live in, you are blessed to be in such a beautiful and wonderful and fun community.
WOW - Your first post. to TOTV.

You are absolutely right. There is no bad area of TV to live. I think what happens is when one buys, there is so much to learn about where one should live. There is the dynamic of some people have bought smaller and want to upgrade. Then there are some people who want to downgrade as it is more difficult to keep a larger home. There are some people who see a home that has features they know they will enjoy more.

It's so nice to live in a place where you home can sell quickly and move so easily. I am one of those who hopes to get it right the first time as I hate moving.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM

From what I have garnered from conversations on this subject, a couple of unique factors come into play here, imo. First, there appears to be considerable ease to sell your home in the Villages. Most moves a not like moving a great distance to another city or state, maybe a few blocks or so away, not like uprooting in the normal snse. You keep your friends. Why not live where and in what that pleases you the most. A few short distant easy moves can help one find that satisfaction level. so I am told,, anyway, lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwint7 View Post
Hi everyone--I'm replying for the first time after lurking for quite awhile so hopefully I am doing this right! Hubby and I bought our patio villa last September to be our "fun home" in The Villages. We live just 2 hours away in Fleming Island and enjoy long weekends and holidays at our Villages home as I am still teaching and will be for 2 more years. At that time we plan on buying a larger home to be our forever home in paradise. From my rather short time being a homeowner in TV I have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter what home you live in, you are blessed to be in such a beautiful and wonderful and fun community.
Welcome to TOTV Bwint7,
We are in the same boat as you. Both my wife and I are educators who live 2 hours away, Melbourne Beach, who bought a patio villa here to be our "fun home". My wife calls it her "happy place". In a couple years when we retire, we will probably sell both homes and buy a larger one here. Don't know though. I truly love the home we are in.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for all your post.......................they were all very interesting and informative.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 PM

We purchased a villa and this is our second winter (rented for four years prior). We were congratulated on buying our first home in The Villages by our sales person. We think we know what he meant. We've looked, just looked, at a full time home here in TV....just in case. I will say that owning a villa takes the pressure off of hurrying to buy another home if we sell our seven month home in the frozen tundra. By the way, the gentleman we purchased a used cart from was on his third designer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.