Adios Chinese EVs

Old 05-05-2024, 05:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Great news! Chinese EVs don’t qualify for 7,500 tax credits anymore! EVs made with Chinese parts are now disqualified by the IRS. Finally something good comes out of our tax dollars. Phase that junk out of our country.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...dy/ar-AA1o5GNV
A Chinese electric car maker announced at a Chinese auto show last week that its new battery can be charged enough in ten minutes to go about 350 miles, and with a full charge—thirty minutes—over 600 miles. If our cars could actually do that, sales would explode. However, I think I read that the Chinese government is subsidizing Chinese electric cars about $15,000 each to establish the market. I wonder if Elon Musk actually went to China last week to license that technology.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

We should not give out $7500 tax credits to any EV owner. This is a rip off. We also subsidize EV owners in road maintenance since these moneys come from tax on gas. Then we probably subsidize superfund toxic landfills to discard these EV toxic batteries when they need them 8-10 years down the road. We also pay for building the EV charging infrastructure. I don’t want my tax dollars going for this, have every EV owner subsidize this, I don’t want them and I will never need them, so I shouldn’t pay for them.
All EV owners need to pay their fair share of road maintenance, and the costs of the new charging stations across the country. It costs way more for an EV, and with these extra costs, nobody would look at buying an EV.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 470 Posts

The $7500 is only valid if you owe the feds that much. If you do, you will be paying a penalty and will have to make estimated payments going forward. It is BS. I have owned an electric vehicle, it is really cool but to propose that it can replace the ICE is utter stupidity proposed by stupid people. Car manufacturers got the money from the government and lost their shirts because in capitalism, the market drives innovation and the administration should not and cannot replace that. Never let facts get in the way of your convictions.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:38 AM
Sage

A majority of the states charge an EV registration fee to make up for the gasoline tax they aren’t paying (to support road maintenance). Those states that don’t currently do this will undoubtedly do it in the future. Recycling infrastructure is being built out to support the recycling of EV batteries, just as it was for the lead acid batteries in gas cars. You have little say on what your tax dollars support. For example, your tax dollars supported gain-of-function research in China and supports mortgages in the US. Get used to it, if you haven’t already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
We should not give out $7500 tax credits to any EV owner. This is a rip off. We also subsidize EV owners in road maintenance since these moneys come from tax on gas. Then we probably subsidize superfund toxic landfills to discard these EV toxic batteries when they need them 8-10 years down the road. We also pay for building the EV charging infrastructure. I don’t want my tax dollars going for this, have every EV owner subsidize this, I don’t want them and I will never need them, so I shouldn’t pay for them.
All EV owners need to pay their fair share of road maintenance, and the costs of the new charging stations across the country. It costs way more for an EV, and with these extra costs, nobody would look at buying an EV.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
The $7500 is only valid if you owe the feds that much. If you do, you will be paying a penalty and will have to make estimated payments going forward. It is BS.
I'm sorry, but your facts are WRONG.

The Tax Credit is immediately available and transferable and can be used as a down payment when buying an automobile.

The IRS Just Made It Easier To Benefit From The EV Tax Credit – Forbes Advisor
Old 05-05-2024, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,135 Times in 562 Posts
Default Different Rules on Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
A Chinese electric car maker announced at a Chinese auto show last week that its new battery can be charged enough in ten minutes to go about 350 miles, and with a full charge—thirty minutes—over 600 miles. If our cars could actually do that, sales would explode. However, I think I read that the Chinese government is subsidizing Chinese electric cars about $15,000 each to establish the market. I wonder if Elon Musk actually went to China last week to license that technology.
They play by a different rule book. Their cars aren’t as safe as cars constructed to US standards. Chinese drives have increased risk of fires and deaths from crashes. Significant upgrades that require additional weight, time and money hamper our system for the better? I willing to wager litigation against Chinese makers in China by Chinese citizens isn’t nearly as easy as our hamstrung legal system here in the US.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-05-2024, 07:35 AM
Gold member

I try to be careful when criticizing China exports in general...at least on morals and to a lesser extent, safety....because I believe we all are compromised and a bit hypocritical. This story, while well over a year old, shows that we’re part of the enabling process......start with smartphones and tablets which most of us use to participate in this forum and this thread topic....and work your way down the list. So if safety is the main concern, we have a lot of work to do

U.S. Trade With China Actually Increased Last Year: Here Are The 10 Top Imported Items
Old 05-05-2024, 07:41 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
They have so much markup that they can easily lower the price of their evs by $7500
Paid by the taxpayer....
Old 05-05-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
They will probably just make them in Mexico. It's hard to imagine that the average American can afford a UAW made EV.
Hard to believe anything union made could be affordable.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bealman View Post
Hard to believe anything union made could be affordable.
When most of this demo was buying US...Union built...products, cars included, didn’t seem to be an issue. Now that the economy is shaky and we have had no problems buying and supporting Chinese based products made by workers making a pittance and in less than desirable conditions....for decades. Of course it costs more for union built products.....better wages, benefits, workplace safety and IMO product safety. So my earlier comments are based on our daily reliance on the very items we all use...that originate in China. The steel used for new commercial construction, your Nike’s, your smartphones....pharmaceuticals and on and on. I’m personally fine with paying more, using union labor and keeping manufacturing and jobs....here. Remember, you get what you pay for in life. Doesn’t always mean it’s better but you at least can control most of the narrative
Old 05-05-2024, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
They play by a different rule book. Their cars aren’t as safe as cars constructed to US standards. Chinese drives have increased risk of fires and deaths from crashes. Significant upgrades that require additional weight, time and money hamper our system for the better? I willing to wager litigation against Chinese makers in China by Chinese citizens isn’t nearly as easy as our hamstrung legal system here in the US.
All Chinese cars that would be sold in the USA would meet the minimum standards required by the NHTSA. Their EVs would be sold at a price so low that Tesla could not match for similar standards. They are having significant success in Europe.

China's electric carmakers take on Europeans on their own turf : NPR

If the Chinese are ever allowed to dump their EVs into the USA without major tariffs then the Tesla stock price will collapse.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
All Chinese cars that would be sold in the USA would meet the minimum standards required by the NHTSA. Their EVs would be sold at a price so low that Tesla could not match for similar standards. They are having significant success in Europe.

China's electric carmakers take on Europeans on their own turf : NPR

If the Chinese are ever allowed to dump their EVs into the USA without major tariffs then the Tesla stock price will collapse.
Ford is losing money on EV's. Are they dumping?
Old 05-05-2024, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,004 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote:
From article I read Ford and GM will probably moving assembly to Mexico within decade. Tired of UAW demands when Honda, Toyota, BMW, and other foreign manufacture in USA don’t have to eat with UAW.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Ford and everyone else is losing a small fortune on EV's. They have no choice but to make them & them dump them. Without EV's, they can't meet CAFE requirements.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It’s a good first step, but it would be way better if ALL EV tax subsidies were eliminated. If EV’s can sell solely based on their stand alone economics, then they have a useful place in the marketplace. Forcing sals based on taxpayer subsidies and government mandates creates inefficiencies and diverts important private research and development dollars away from potentially better technology alternatives. And why should taxpayers that prioritize vehicle range and performance (towing capacity, 4WD, ground clearance, etc…) have to subsidize the EV crowd?
Why should the oil companies get %1 Trillion in subsidies? Why someone who had the same job as I did but had 4 kids get a $8,000 income tax deduction? Why should I have to pay for the schools? Why should I pay for VA hospitals? I was in the military and I understood it was a voluntary decision to join… Why should I be treated any different?
Why Why Why..........

Tags
chinese, evs, tax, adios, dollars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.