Census survey? Did you get one?

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default Census survey? Did you get one?

How is one to know it is legitimate?
There is too much junk mail made to look official.
Usually when something like this is forthcoming from the government, there is some publicity it is coming.
Gathering info 5 years before hand???
Old 08-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Gold member

Didn't get one and doubt that it is real!

Way too early.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Didn't get one and doubt that it is real!

Way too early.

Agree 100%. Another scammer on the loose.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,362 Posts

None for us
Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,433 Posts

Google search.....many scams.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:16 PM

The Census Bureau conducts many surveys, not just the Decennial Census, including some for other government agencies. Is there anything on the questionnaire that identifies what survey it is?

If you are really concerned, call the Census Bureau and ask if it is legitimate.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,341 Times in 556 Posts
Default I would call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
The Census Bureau conducts many surveys, not just the Decennial Census, including some for other government agencies. Is there anything on the questionnaire that identifies what survey it is?

If you are really concerned, call the Census Bureau and ask if it is legitimate.
Good suggestion---exactly what I would do.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Usually when something like this is forthcoming from the government, there is some publicity it is coming.
Census Survey Scams

This may help
Old 08-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

The one I received is "2015 National Content Test".
Here is a link from the census federal website confirming this one is a valid mailing:

2015 National Content Test

In this day and age of scamming the government should do a better job of communicating.....especially in light of all the hacking and security breach experiences of recent months.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

We didn't.

Throw it out.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:32 AM

Yes it is legitimate. Yes if you got one you need to complete it. And yes if you don't complete it you will get follow ups and then a personal visit.

This is a test for how they will conduct the 2020 census.

A quick visit to the census bureau will confirm this for you.

And yes we got one and completed it, after confirming at the census site.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have learned to trust people on this forum that I know. That is not unkind. That is just being appropriately skeptical. I will continue to question posters I don't know about negative statements. Or statements I don't agree with and we all should.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_skepticism
Old 08-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here on a social forum someone I don't know is telling me something is alright.

I have learned to trust people on this forum that I know. That is not unkind. That is just being appropriately skeptical. I will continue to question posters I don't know about negative statements. Or statements I don't agree with and we all should not be so trusting and accepting.
I didn't get one but one way to tell if it is legitimate may be by the postage. If a stamp, permit, or metered mail was used it probably is a scam. If "Official U.S. Business" used it probably is legit.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

I received one and checked it out. It's legit. 2015 National content Test. I let the first one sit on my desk and then received another notice stating that if I didn't submit my on-line information, they would be sending someone out to obtain it. Curious, I went on line and found out that it was, indeed legit. You can also call the Census bureau, but they have all the information on their website to verify it. I doubt if a scammer is going to use the dot gov website to steal your information, but they are getting better at it every year. Also, notice that the website is using a secure https: when you log in using the code they provide you under the bar code. Use your own judgement. I figure that if it is legit and you don't wish to do it on line then you can wait and see if they send someone out. Which is safer? Better safe than sorry, is a good practice. And remember the old saying " just because one is paranoid does not mean there isn't someone out there trying to get them."

Use your best judgement and be safe. Mine turned out to be legit, but I can't promise you that yours is not a scam.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:20 PM
Default Are You in a Survey or Census?

My name is Paula Farmer. I have been a field rep for the US Census Bureau for more than 15 years now and work from my home in Lake Co. I know there are many scams out there. Please go to CENSUS.GOV to make sure the survey you may have received is a valid Federal survey. If someone comes to your door, ALWAYS expect and EXAMINE their ID.

Are You in a Survey or Census?
Information for Survey and Census Participants
The Census Bureau conducts a variety of censuses and surveys, not just the once-a-decade census. Every month, quarter and year we conduct surveys with households and businesses.
We use a workforce of trained federal employees to conduct a variety of household surveys by telephone and in-person interviews, as well as the mail.
If someone from the Census Bureau has visited you, and you have any questions, you may speak directly via telephone or e-mail with your Census Bureau Regional Office 800-424-6974.
If you have received a telephone call from someone at the Census Bureau, and you have any questions, you may speak directly via telephone or e-mail with an employee of the National Processing Center.

We Protect Your Information
The surveys we conduct provide information about social and economic conditions in the country, including employment, housing, manufacturing, trade, and many other topics. The questions we ask are used only to produce statistics, and you are never identified individually. For more information on how we protect your information, please see our Data Protection and Privacy Policy website.
Data Protection and Privacy
Closed Thread

Tags
government, forthcoming, publicity, hand, years, info, gathering, coming, legitimate, survey, official, census, made, junk, mail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.