Covid and the upcoming elections, planning should start now

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Agree. I'm not concerned over the minimal impact of fraud to date, but much more concerned over what MIGHT happen
What might happen can be somewhat predicted by what has already happened. Past precedence demonstrates that we can consider this - not a non-issue, but not even on the top 10 list of "things to be concerned about." There are states that already only do mail-in, and several states that combine it with in-person voting, and some states that do both of those plus internet voting.

The result of all three already-existing systems is - there is nothing happening that shows any statistical significance.

I'd be more concerned about what "might" happen if we forced everyone to show up at the polls while there's still the COVID-19 virus going around in November. Because past precedence shows that "death" and "hospitalization" and "spreading of the virus" IS absolutely positively statistically significant when people congregate in close quarters.

In addition, knowing that you have to risk death in order to vote is likely to scare off those who are most at risk. And those who are most at risk, also have the most to lose if we end up with certain governmental results from votes. They are the ones who need to vote, more than anyone else.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,189 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
The NY Times. I am still laughing.
Thanks, I never saw that coming.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:06 PM

Wish you all would keep politics out of this platform. Some of you are already disrespecting others, it will turn ugly and you can’t help it.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Yeah, let's do this mail in ballot thing. Worked great in WI...
USPS investigating undelivered Wisconsin absentee ballot issues
Old 04-10-2020, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Yeah, let's do this mail in ballot thing. Worked great in WI...
USPS investigating undelivered Wisconsin absentee ballot issues
This is EXACTLY why this thread exists. To discuss the planning, in advance, of alternatives to showing up at the polls during a worldwide pandemic.

The problems in Wisconsin are due to a pandemic that no one was able to account for, a request to delay the vote, the rejection of that delay, and the subsequent rush to accommodate more mail-in ballots than anyone would *otherwise* have expected.

It was a disaster from the get-go, because it was an exeptional circumstance.

In states where mail-in ballots are NOT an exceptional circumstance, it's efficient and practical.

Imagine if Wisconsin, and the post offices in Wisconsin, had time to prepare instead of being in a mad rush.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:34 AM

And, of course, let's bunch the people together so they're easy to watch to make sure they don't cheat.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:54 AM

I'm more concerned about electronic voting machines that are hooked up to the internet. Talk about hijacking the voting system. That's a heck of a lot easier than running around from mailbox to mailbox to grab mail in votes. Someone in DC seems to think that only one party is going to cheat and it's not their's.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,032 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I made a mistake. It happens. I only mentioned Oregon has having elections by mail. I failed to include
Washington state, Colorado, Utah, and Hawaii do the same. All by mail.
California does it in some counties including LA county
1/2 the counties of North Dakota are vote by mail

I am aware that one political party screams a lot about fraud. And there certainly is a potential for someone to hijack an envelope and fill in the form for the legitimate voter, then either forge a signature or compel the voter to sign the outside. Evidence please?

I only know of one example of significant potential fraud. It was in 2018 in North Carolina where operatives of the GOP did exactly that and an entire election was thrown out by the court.

The argument of potential fraud is important. The evidence of it being a problem is almost nil. In 2016, the last POTUS election, about 25% of all votes cast were by mail. Please find me reports of fraudulent mail in ballots. I don't deny it may happen. What I deny is that is must be happening and that mail in voting is inherently dangerous to democracy. All those states would disagree. They include states run by the GOP.

So all you nay-sayers.. you'd rather risk lots of exposure to Covid and a new major outbreak with a new economic shut down instead of planning an alternative approach to conducting our elections IF Covid is an ongoing problem in August and November?

Apparently Florida's county election supervisors most of whom are GOP also believe something needs to be planned. If you out of hand reject mail in ballots, and I trust none of you vote by mail, what if anything should the state be doing now to plan for the possibility of having Covid still here at the next election period?
” I made a mistake” NO!!!! You kidding right ? don’t tell that!
Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
” I made a mistake” NO!!!! You kidding right ? don’t tell that!
Ok, what I should have written perhaps:

I got it right, it was perfect. What you thought you read is not what I wrote and you took it out of context and I didn't mean those words but other words which you should have known and I wasn't under oath.

Better? Nah, I'll just try to be honest and when needed, apologize. So what should Florida be doing, to get back on topic...
Old 04-11-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage

I just found this. An election was scheduled for local concerns on April 14th. DeSantis has postponed the election to be rescheduled at a to be determined time.

"Section 2. The municipal elections scheduled on April 14, 2020, for the cities of San
Antonio, Dade City, and Zephyrhills in Pasco County, are hereby delayed.

Section 3. Pursuant to section 101.733(2), Florida Statutes, upon consultation with the
Secretary of State, I will issue a subsequent Executive Order rescheduling the elections as soon as is practicable. "
Old 04-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Sage

I do wish instead of just posting a link, you might explain why you believe the information is important.

In this Breitbart story the writer indicates that millions of vote by mail ballots do not get returned. Why is that a problem? Perhaps the person died or moved. See how those ballots were not fraudulently returned.. they were not returned at all.

Perhaps the voter chose to vote in person instead, perhaps they decided not to vote at all. There is no fraud in this story. In fact this is no different than pointing out how many people are listed in the registry at the in-person voting location who didn't bother to vote. Same reasons... died, moved, not interested, but add for in person - ill, car trouble, bad weather, line too long, had to work extra, had to suddenly go out of town, had to be with a grieving friend or a sick grandchild.

No fraud there either, but lots more people whose voice was silenced by the need to show up in person. I vote by mail because I anticipate the chance that something might happen to prevent me from voting in person and it is easier just like other tasks that can be done at home rather than in person. I'm still waiting from my check from George Soros whom the Breitbart author mentions.
Closed Thread

Tags
vote, covid, mail, locations, county

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.