Famous people you have met.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #196  
Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41,735
Thanks: 2,023
Thanked 543 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
I was in the Navy (seabees) and was assigned while stationed at 31st Naval Construction Regiment to the leading Builder installing temporary buildings and security systems at President Reagan's ranch in Santa Barbara, calf. when the project was completed, We got the word that the President wanted to host a bar BBQ for the crew about 80 of us in total. I had put in a request to reenlist. Along story cut short is I re enlisted on President Reagan's front porch of his small house with him and Nancy present. The picture of President Reagan and myself was still hanging in the Seabee Museum in Port Hueneme, Calf. when I retired in 1990. I also meet John Wayne but that's a different story.
Cool story.
  #197  
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM
paulandjean paulandjean is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Dick Vitale, MSU Tom Izzo.Jud Heathcote,Uof Michigan Steve Fisher, Indiana Bob Knight.The list goes on and on. Many college All-American and Professional athletes.
  #198  
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
DougB's Avatar
DougB DougB is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hacienda South
Posts: 2,955
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Arnold S. is short and rude? Interesting.
Jackie Gleason told me to get the hell out of his golf cart. Talk about rude!
__________________
“ Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ”
  #199  
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Uncle Tom Uncle Tom is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Anna Nicole Smith

I knew her in Houston before she was famous. She married the Texas billonaire, and she always had drug addiction issues. I knew it was a matter of time before she would pass away. Her mother was a Harris county deputy, So all I have to say is Dont Do Drugs.
  #200  
Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Hopeful2 Hopeful2 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 181
Thanks: 8
Thanked 33 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Vice President, Joe Biden, was one of my professors when I was a student at Widener Law School (in Delaware). We had some interesting discussions on constitutional law.
  #201  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41,735
Thanks: 2,023
Thanked 543 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
Vice President, Joe Biden, was one of my professors when I was a student at Widener Law School (in Delaware). We had some interesting discussions on constitutional law.
I''ll bet. Walter Mondale showed up at the University of Minnesota Law School while I attended it (1986-1989)(Class of 1989) as well as after when I was working in the Law Library cataloging all the WESTLAW files; doing a little reference; checking Document Delivery for a cute nose ringed blonde female U of MN student and a guy U of MN student that used to ask me quite often how my many language courses I was taking at the U of MN were going (Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese); and cataloging foreign language materials. Why was I taking all those languages was because of the cataloging of foreign materials. I had won the Outstanding Reader of French Award while at the University of Nevada, Reno so I did not take any more of that language and had taken some Spanish at the College of San Mateo as a hobby just before going to Law School in 1986. My German--also taken at the University of Nevada, Reno-- had become really rusty, so I had taken some more of that.

Caesar Chavez, Ralph Nader and a few other notable people lectured at the U of MN Law School as guests as well.

Wish I could remember the names of the cute nose-ringed blonde and the curious guy library worker about my progress in languages as my claiming doing Document Delivery on my resume and that Law Library not backing me up cost me quite a large number of job interviews going South notably at the Washoe County Courthouse Law Library in Reno, Nevada and at the mainly African American law school of North Carolina Central University in Durham. People at the law library in Circulation had asked me to help with Document Delivery. Kind of a surprise when you fly or drive a long way and then find out that a former employer is poking holes in your resume. So, for that and other reasons my experiences at the U of MN Law School and Library were quite tainted.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-11-2013 at 08:04 AM.
  #202  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
paulandjean paulandjean is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I''ll bet. Walter Mondale showed up at the University of Minnesota Law School while I attended it (1986-1989)(Class of 1989) as well as after when I was working in the Law Library cataloging all the WESTLAW files; doing a little reference; checking Document Delivery for a cute nose ringed blonde female U of MN student and a guy U of MN student that used to ask me quite often how my many language courses I was taking at the U of MN were going (Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese); and cataloging foreign language materials. Why was I taking all those languages was because of the cataloging of foreign materials. I had won the Outstanding Reader of French Award while at the University of Nevada, Reno so I did not take any more of that language and had taken some Spanish at the College of San Mateo as a hobby just before going to Law School in 1986. My German--also taken at the University of Nevada, Reno-- had become really rusty, so I had taken some more of that.

Caesar Chavez, Ralph Nader and a few other notable people lectured at the U of MN Law School as guests as well.

Wish I could remember the names of the cute nose-ringed blonde and the curious guy library worker about my progress in languages as my claiming doing Document Delivery on my resume and that Law Library not backing me up cost me quite a large number of job interviews going South notably at the Washoe County Courthouse Law Library in Reno, Nevada and at the mainly African American law school of North Carolina Central University in Durham. People at the law library in Circulation had asked me to help with Document Delivery. Kind of a surprise when you fly or drive a long way and then find out that a former employer is poking holes in your resume. So, for that and other reasons my experiences at the U of MN Law School and Library were quite tainted.
You lost me...............................
  #203  
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41,735
Thanks: 2,023
Thanked 543 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
You lost me...............................
I had wanted to be honest about my interest in a niche in the delivery of victim services while looking for work in law librarianship-- via access to practical information through libraries-- after the U of MN Law School and Library management decided not to renew my employment contact in 1991. I had become very interested in victim services after the 2-24-1976 murder of my then Earl Wooster High School teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. 2-24 is also my birthday and Mrs. Barbara Mitchell gave me and another student in 1976-1977 the Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship. Mrs. Mitchell had played a pivotal role in my high school life before her daughter Michelle was murdered.

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) paid to fly me from Chicago--where I was caring for a paraplegic relative Bill E. who had two limbs blown off during WWII in Italy by a Panzer tank's tree burst shell-- to Durham. They had a Law Professor who had been a victim of crime and seemed to share some of my interests. The interview with NCCU went well until I got to the Dean's Office and then was accused by the Deans of lying on my resume about Document Delivery. I was shocked by the whole thing. I had done Document Delivery at the U of Minnesota Law School. That's when some library user off campus wants a copy of say page 22 in volume 24 of Minnesota Reports. You copy it when you are sure you have the right page and then fax or mail it to them depending on their instructions. I was checking the work of two employees because I had been asked to do this by the Circulation Department. Document Delivery is as common say to academic law librarianship as dribbling is to basketball.

It was par for the course though with my fight for victims' services accessible through law school libraries and public librraies. I have encountered dirty trick after dirty trick. That's why my enthusiasm for the University of Minnesota Law School and Library is seriously curbed. Roughly the same thing happened at the Washoe County Law Library in Reno, Nevada. I paid to drive there from the Santa Rosa, CA area and then the Law Library Director accused me about lying about Document Delivery at the U of MN Law Library on my resume. I had checked in libraries all over Reno from late February 1976 through when I moved from Reno for practical materials for survivors of crimes and found very little of any real use. That was while I was working my way through college at the University of Nevada, Reno with 2 BAs in Philosophy and History and getting a start on 2 MAs in the same area that I did very little work on at that time.

I mentioned some of these problems during a UCSF School of Public Health (U of CA San Francisco) study in January through March or so of 1993 on stress on the unemployed. I was subject #613. I have used 224 and 613 in my massive fight for respect for survivors of crimes since then.

I have continued fighting for better access for victims services through libraries since 1991 or so. You would think with what is in the news with the shootings and mental health system problems that people would see how important this is? Libraries must be involved in this. I do have a bias towards education and humanism. Of course, people can do a lot of this kind of work now through Facebook and over other Internet sources like TOTV (I have a lot of stuff on victims services in the support group section) but they do have to know how to dig for information.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-11-2013 at 01:24 PM.
  #204  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
dndlion's Avatar
dndlion dndlion is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We were staying at Shades of Green at Disney when I peeked out the window and saw Tiger teeing off on the 10th hole for a practice round, woke the misses up(never have seen her get ready so fast) and headed out to see him practice. I lifted one of the ropes so Tiger and Notah Begay could get to the tee box. They both said thank you.

The best way to watch the pros play is during the practice rounds......
  #205  
Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41,735
Thanks: 2,023
Thanked 543 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndlion View Post
We were staying at Shades of Green at Disney when I peeked out the window and saw Tiger teeing off on the 10th hole for a practice round, woke the misses up(never have seen her get ready so fast) and headed out to see him practice. I lifted one of the ropes so Tiger and Notah Begay could get to the tee box. They both said thank you.

The best way to watch the pros play is during the practice rounds......
Now, that's a really nice story.
  #206  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:07 PM
DougB's Avatar
DougB DougB is offline
Sage
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hacienda South
Posts: 2,955
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I had wanted to be honest about my interest in a niche in the delivery of victim services while looking for work in law librarianship-- via access to practical information through libraries-- after the U of MN Law School and Library management decided not to renew my employment contact in 1991. I had become very interested in victim services after the 2-24-1976 murder of my then Earl Wooster High School teacher's daughter Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno campus. 2-24 is also my birthday and Mrs. Barbara Mitchell gave me and another student in 1976-1977 the Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship. Mrs. Mitchell had played a pivotal role in my high school life before her daughter Michelle was murdered.

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) paid to fly me from Chicago--where I was caring for a paraplegic relative Bill E. who had two limbs blown off during WWII in Italy by a Panzer tank's tree burst shell-- to Durham. They had a Law Professor who had been a victim of crime and seemed to share some of my interests. The interview with NCCU went well until I got to the Dean's Office and then was accused by the Deans of lying on my resume about Document Delivery. I was shocked by the whole thing. I had done Document Delivery at the U of Minnesota Law School. That's when some library user off campus wants a copy of say page 22 in volume 24 of Minnesota Reports. You copy it when you are sure you have the right page and then fax or mail it to them depending on their instructions. I was checking the work of two employees because I had been asked to do this by the Circulation Department. Document Delivery is as common say to academic law librarianship as dribbling is to basketball.

It was par for the course though with my fight for victims' services accessible through law school libraries and public librraies. I have encountered dirty trick after dirty trick. That's why my enthusiasm for the University of Minnesota Law School and Library is seriously curbed. Roughly the same thing happened at the Washoe County Law Library in Reno, Nevada. I paid to drive there from the Santa Rosa, CA area and then the Law Library Director accused me about lying about Document Delivery at the U of MN Law Library on my resume. I had checked in libraries all over Reno from late February 1976 through when I moved from Reno for practical materials for survivors of crimes and found very little of any real use. That was while I was working my way through college at the University of Nevada, Reno with 2 BAs in Philosophy and History and getting a start on 2 MAs in the same area that I did very little work on at that time.

I mentioned some of these problems during a UCSF School of Public Health (U of CA San Francisco) study in January through March or so of 1993 on stress on the unemployed. I was subject #613. I have used 224 and 613 in my massive fight for respect for survivors of crimes since then.

I have continued fighting for better access for victims services through libraries since 1991 or so. You would think with what is in the news with the shootings and mental health system problems that people would see how important this is? Libraries must be involved in this. I do have a bias towards education and humanism. Of course, people can do a lot of this kind of work now through Facebook and over other Internet sources like TOTV (I have a lot of stuff on victims services in the support group section) but they do have to know how to dig for information.
Now I'm lost ...
__________________
“ Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ”
  #207  
Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41,735
Thanks: 2,023
Thanked 543 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Now I'm lost ...
http://www.talkofthevillages.com/for...750-post2.html A lot of these links are dead ends. They were active at one time.

This might explain it a bit better. That's the link above. I wrote everyone I could think of during my massive effort to improve the game for survivors of crimes unwillingly dragged into the legal system. These people could fit a huge number of categories-- a survivor of a mass shooting, a rape victim, a battered woman, etc. Also though a battered woman who fights back who becomes a defendant in a case, someone who stupidly takes the law in their own hands in some vigilante action, a beaten up defendant in some prison setting, etc.

I do not see things in black and white. It is often very hard to define who is actually the victim from case-to-case.

Many of the people I tried to get involved with this are rich and famous. I never met any of them but tried to tell my story as much as I could and as well as I could over the Internet. Celebrities do have e-mail addresses as do news programs, TV shows, etc. I posted supporting documents for instance on Findlaw's message boards I believe starting in 2002. The sysop told me when I first starting posting that it would be a perfect vehicle for my fight. A few days after that I became cannon fodder for every lawyer and law student it seemed on Findlaw's message boards. The sysop commiserated and really could not explain how everything went so wrong so quickly. It got worse and worse as a defendant from Chesterfield County, Virginia I tried to help targeted every post I made on Findlaw with remarks little better than you would find on a Junior High School bathroom wall but these troll postings continued unabated for years until the defendant bragged about what he had done on Findlaw with years of baiting. It took me a long time to figure out who was doing this to me.

A lot of people however saw the documents I posted on Findlaw's message boards which showed significant support for improving access to survivors/victims to information. It should be a common sensical no brainer, but....

...call the local libraries and sheriffs' offices to find out why they do not have the Florida Victim Services Directory http://myfloridalegal.com/directory linked on their websites. This seems like something that would be extremely easy to do and is just common sense. I also doubt if there is much if any cost involved with adding such a link to sites that should be used to advertise help for survivors/victims of crimes.

I also remember a woman on Findlaw who was in serious need of help with finding mental health resources in her area of the Tennessee/Kentucky border near some military base. Her military service boyfriend was trying to help her but the cops did not seem to do much of anything and she ended up driving her car into oncoming traffic and killing herself and probably also the people she drove her vehicle into. If I remember correctly she had seen her mother murdered and had suffered from long term depression as well as self-mutilating. The boyfriend also had mentioned that she was strikingly beautiful and very persuasive when she wanted to be.

Would also for that reason and many others like to see more links in logical places--like public libraries and sheriff's offices-- to mental health resources in the area.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
  #208  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
alanmcdonald alanmcdonald is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ringgold, GA - The Villages
Posts: 578
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I went to High School with Angela Atwood - she kidnapped Patty Hearst.
  #209  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,552
Thanks: 212
Thanked 736 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Wow. Did you know her? Did you have any inkling?
  #210  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 PM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is online now
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 3,522
Thanked 1,255 Times in 476 Posts
Default

Back in about 2006 or so, I flew from Heathrow to LAX in business class. My seat mate was Shirley Manson who was returning from Scotland and a 40th birthday party for one of her childhood girlfriends. We started teasing one another, joking and drinking quite a bit. We had one heck of a good time all the way back. A male flight attendant asked me if I knew who she was and I said I did not. I asked her what she did. She said she was a singer and had a band named Garbage. I almost fell on the floor laughing. She was wearing red Converse All-Star sneakers and I told her I had not worn those since junior high. She said I should, that they were comfortable. I never asked her name but she was writing a song on her laptop. At the end of the flight as she was looking out the window she held up her passport with the customs form showing her name so I would know it. Shirley Manson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I think her father was one of the scientists who cloned Dolly the sheep.

Another time I enjoyed a flight from PHX to Long Beach with Joe Namath as a seat mate.

I have run into Ricardo Montalban at the Guadalajara airport. What an incredible gentleman! Tom Bosley, sadly at his stepson Tom's funeral. His neighbor, Barbara Eden, was helping out. In D.C. while at law school I met Robert McNamara (a total jerk) at National Airport (now Reagan) a few senators and congressmen around the Capitol Building and adjacent office buildings. I dated one of Mary Jo Kopechne's roommates while in law school and met her shortly before she died at Chappaquiddick.

Oh when I was in college, I caught Johnny Cash as he was starting to tip over off a makeshift stage on a tennis court where he was performing with the Statler Brothers. He said "Thanks".
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 AM.