Have you read the article that says Nancy Lanza was a "prepper"?

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Have you read the article that says Nancy Lanza was a "prepper"?

What very little I have ever read about preppers was on this forum. Someone agreed with that philosophy and posted here about it and I remember thinking that that is pretty extreme and almost paranoid.

It is possible that she had tendencies that would be considered outside normal perimeters. It all is very complicated and as JBlum just posted, they are both gone now.

Just so baffling and so sad and no easy understanding of any of it.

I can't sleep well, I am sure like many of you, thinking of the horrible grief of those parents.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,348 Times in 2,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What very little I have ever read about preppers was on this forum. Someone agreed with that philosophy and posted here about it and I remember thinking that that is pretty extreme and almost paranoid.

It is possible that she had tendencies that would be considered outside normal perimeters. It all is very complicated and as JBlum just posted, they are both gone now.

I can't sleep well, I am sure like many of you, thinking of the horrible grief of those parents.
Not sure if that is true or not. The facts get very jumbled in a case of such horror and magnitude as this one. I did find this from the Preppers themselves: Was suspected shooters mother a prepper? - American Preppers Network
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Never heard this "term" before

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Got to agree with you! I had never ever heard this term before and when I read your post this morning I did a search on "preppers" - and I quote:

“Prepper” movement, which urges readiness for social chaos by hoarding supplies and training with weapons.

I guess I am very simplistic, but this does not fall within normal parameters to me.

I also have a real problem with the Mother in question - if you have the enormous challenge of being the caretaker of a child who has severe mental problems DON'T YOU LOCK UP YOUR GUNS?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage

For a minute there I thought "prepper" was a typo for "preppie," and I thought so? she wore plaid skirts and twin sets?
Then I realized my error. Big difference. I'm more familiar with the term "survivalist."
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Sage

Emergency situations can arise with minimal notice and can stem from unforeseen events, including natural disasters and terrorist acts. Services, including electricity, phone and water, may become unavailable and emergency personnel may encounter delays during rescue operations. Gathering survival supplies ahead of time provides you and your family with peace of mind and enables you to take quick action in the face of an emergency.
  1. Basics
    • Basic survival supplies will help support your food and water intake requirements when you're met with an emergency situation. Consider that each person requires one half gallon of drinking water each day, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, though FEMA recommends storing one gallon per person for each day, for a minimum of three days. Take into account that more water is required for hot or dry climates, the elderly and children. Also, assemble three days' worth of nonperishable food; for example, canned goods, powdered milk, trail mix and sweets. Ensure that supplies meet any specific dietary requirements--in the case of diabetics, for instance--and also plan on reserving an appropriate amount of pet food and water for your pets. Limit foods containing salt, and pack a manual can opener, along with eating utensils.

Health and Safety
    • Store items related to health and safety in a backpack or other easily accessible and transportable container. Include medications, feminine hygiene products, an extra pair of glasses, a change of clothes, sleeping bag and first aid kit. The first aid kit should contain the basics: gauze, antibiotic ointments, Band-Aids, scissors, tweezers, alcohol swabs and aspirin. Also include antacids, latex gloves and anti-diarrhea medication. Blankets, flashlights, a battery-powered radio and extra batteries provide important warmth, light and news updates during emergencies. Other items to include in a survival kit include a solar cellphone charger, first aid book, whistle and flares.

Additional Items
    • Organize and store personal and financial documents in a fireproof and waterproof safe or container. Include passports, birth certificates, mortgage and car loan information, copies of credit cards and bank account information. Also include cash and coins that may help should power disrupt technical machinery. Prepare ahead of time by placing eating utensils, paper plates, napkins, matches and garbage bags near emergency supplies. Consider gathering up books, games and puzzles to help pass the time. Be ready for a possible evacuation by preparing yourself with local maps in case normal travel routes close or become blocked.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

The "Today" show interviewed 4 close friends of the mother this AM. They dispelled the rumor she was a prepper or survivalist, so most likely just another rumor.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Sage

One of things I noticed during the Katrina emergency was that many people ran out of their diabetes meds and other such necessary items........as they were "homeless" due to the hurricane's flooding aftermath........

As far as water (mentioned above) we keep water supplies up here "just in case" and replace frequently.......buying big cases of bottled water.

We do not stockpile guns or such........we do not dig underground bunkers , nor do we take some of the extreme measures that the "preppers" on the t.v. show are depicted as doing...........but we always have, as have others in our state, stocked up on pantry fulls of non perishable food supplies , first aid supplies, water, etc. "just in case". When there are power outages in the northeast, it does help to be prepared.

We also have alternate sources of heat, light, cooking, etc. "just in case".

In the event of any type of evacuation notice, also good to keep the vehicles filled with gasoline...............but most importantly, PLENTY OF WATER.

Also, CASH......as the banks may not work if the electricity is out, ditto for the supermarket cash registers...........and no one today would be able to tally up the groceries by hand.

These are not extreme measures..........just practical ones.

We do watch the prepper shows..........and do not condone the ones who teach their kids to shoot the assault rifles and such.........nor dig their bunkers underground or in old mine shafts..........nor eat worms and bugs. So, it does not hurt to have a full pantry or two, which are rotated......we also keep two freezers in the garage plus our kitchen freezer........it's what people do up here. This way, when a blizzard hits or roads are icy for long periods of time, everyone is fine without venturing out.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
The "Today" show interviewed 4 close friends of the mother this AM. They dispelled the rumor she was a prepper or survivalist, so most likely just another rumor.
Thanks bimmertl. You and Tal are right about rumors. Sorry to repeat incorrect information.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Sage

I agree with Senior Citizen's comments about having common sense to have basics in your pantry, food in your freezer, light and cooking sources, gas in the car, and bottled water. Even here in The Villages, there is a possibility for a few days of no electricity or natural gas during or after a severe storm.

Of course, not Senior Citizen's reason of "This way, when a blizzard hits or roads are icy for long periods of time, everyone is fine without venturing out." I am DONE with those days!!!

Merry Christmas.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
I saw that interview, and you are correct, although Savannah Guthrie did such a poor job the interview wasn't very revealing.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I agree with Senior Citizen's comments about having common sense to have basics in your pantry, food in your freezer, light and cooking sources, gas in the car, and bottled water. Even here in The Villages, there is a possibility for a few days of no electricity or natural gas during or after a severe storm.

Of course, not Senior Citizen's reason of "This way, when a blizzard hits or roads are icy for long periods of time, everyone is fine without venturing out." I am DONE with those days!!!

Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.......

If we lived in The Villages, we would do the same........especially the water......just in the event of a hurricane, tornado or some type of gas or chemical leak from a truck accident on the highway, etc.....often neighborhoods are evacuated.

We actually began "stockpiling" (not in the amounts of those preppers) back in 1999 when all the computers were supposed to crash in 2000 I believe?? EVERYONE UP HERE WAS DOING IT. Not just us.

At our age now, it's just easier to have tons and tons of paper supplies in the walk in closets, cleaning supplies, etc., etc. so as not to always be running to the supermarkets.........plus drugstore items in the hall closet near the bathrooms........and a fully "overstocked" pantry/freezers.

We are not Mormons but my husband believes they have the right idea.

After 911 we did get surgical masks which we never used, plus rolls of plastic as everyone else was doing (in case we had to cover the windows). Again, never had to........but our government was advising such. After 911, our state and our town in particular saw a HUGE SURGE OF FOLKS FROM MANHATTAN, NEW YORK AND NEIGHBORING BURROUGHS.....PLUS NORTHERN N.J. flocking to move up here....as they perceived us to be "safe".

Actually, we are the evacuation "relocation" for Connecticut I believe.
So, just so everyone knows, we have TONS of toilet paper.

We've been very very fortunate but other parts of our state and neighboring states have been WITHOUT services for up to two weeks or more due to natural disasters.

Of course we were just saying the other day, that even if those folks, some of which were our relatives, on Staten Island New York and THE JERSEY SHORE, New Jersey.........had stocked up or stockpiled, it might have all been WASHED AWAY IN THE FLOOD WATERS.

I guess none of us can be totally prepared. But CASH is a good idea and important papers "handy"......plus water and energy bars or granola bars to bring in the car........
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,773 Posts

I believe it wise to have some cash, potable water and nonperishable food on hand. Several companies sell food packages for emergencies. One can order them from Costco, if I recall correctly. Be prepared!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
For a minute there I thought "prepper" was a typo for "preppie," and I thought so? she wore plaid skirts and twin sets?
Then I realized my error. Big difference. I'm more familiar with the term "survivalist."
LOL, I thought the same thing, said to myself "Since when is wearing a lot of beige and navy worth mentioning?".

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum member

Unless you like to cram stuff under your beds, many homes in TV aren't "stockpile friendly"!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum member

OK, one Prepper stockpiling food and water supplies.
Another Prepper stockpiling weapons and ammo.
Comes the Nuclear Holocaust (or Zombie Apocalypse or pick your own SciFi movie scenario), who is going to survive?
Suffering from TV envy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.