How go haggle for a new car

Old 05-04-2024, 02:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Sounds like a ‘Herb’ dealership
Definately "HERB". He has to pay for that helicopter somehow.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles

Old 05-04-2024, 02:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Definately "HERB". He has to pay for that helicopter somehow.
Great guy. Deserves it. Grew up a city kid (Dorchester) and came up a salesman to where (as previously mentioned) he’s one of the top dealers in the nation. Philanthropist as well to many charitable organizations. Love people that make it in life and never forget their roots!

Old 05-04-2024, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,230 Times in 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylt View Post
it was so easy for us. We bought a Tesla. Tesla has NO "DEALERS". Solely Direct Tesla owned Sales and Service Centers. Closest to TV is Clermont. You order your car online on the Tesla site. Make your selections. Model type. Color exterior and interior. A very few more choices. New or used. Order or inventory. Our order took less than 10 minutes to enter. No haggling, fixed prices (although they can fluctuate from time to time - supply/demand).

If ordered for a new build, Tesla keeps you updated re status on line. Tesla cars are built in the USA. Fremont CA or Texas. USA! The car is delivered to Clermont for pickup. Or if it is stock, just go to pick up. This is all confirmed via the Sales folks at the Center.

NO haggling, no commission, no stress.

NO dealers. NO markup. No worry.

The 'dealer model' is SO 1990's.

And oh BTW, the car is simply FANTASTIC!
Totally agree with this. Tesla’s model is so simple and so effective. The old “Dealer” model is entrenched with the “old” standards. And those manufacturers which are not moving, or moving too slowly with EV technology are on the path to extinction. It’s already happening in China.
I will Never deal with car dealers again after experiencing Tesla. I always felt “slimy” leaving a car dealership.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,218 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Totally agree with this. Tesla’s model is so simple and so effective. The old “Dealer” model is entrenched with the “old” standards. And those manufacturers which are not moving, or moving too slowly with EV technology are on the path to extinction. It’s already happening in China.
I will Never deal with car dealers again after experiencing Tesla. I always felt “slimy” leaving a car dealership.
At the rate Tesla is going this year, they might just turn into an orphan brand.

Profits down 55%. Price cuts every 90 days. Inventory going no where. Government subsidies made Tesla and when that changes and Tesla is on their own, it will be reckoning time.

As for manufacturers who are "not moving fast enough to EV technology"? The CEO of Toyota (a company that know a little about automobiles) recently said Toyota won't buy into the EV world and will continue to focus on Hybrids.

Last edited by BrianL99; 05-04-2024 at 07:20 PM.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
At the rate Tesla is going this year, they might just turn into an orphan brand.

Profits down 55%. Price cuts every 90. Inventory going no where. Government subsidies made Tesla and when that changes and Tesla is on their own, it will be reckoning time.

As for manufacturers who are "not moving fast enough to EV technology"? The CEO of Toyota (a company that know a little about automobiles) recently said Toyota won't buy into the EV world and will continue to focus on Hybrids.
This reminds me of the Polaroid Corp. When everybody else was in R&D....and production on digital cameras, Polaroid dug in on their instant camera model. By the time they figured it out....they were cooked. As were all their employees

Old 05-04-2024, 07:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
This reminds me of the Polaroid Corp. When everybody else was in R&D....and production on digital cameras, Polaroid dug in on their instant camera model. By the time they figured it out....they were cooked. As were all their employees
Ken Olson the founder of Digital Equipment, said that "personal computers" were never going to catch on. Back in the 80's in my area of the world, 60% of the people I'd run into on a daily basis, worked for DEC.

Tesla biggest problem, is they still don't employ "car people". They think that what they produce are "transportation devices", not cars Their designs and their quality of fit & finish, is atrocious and the laughing stock of the automotive world. Elon Musk may be a genius, but taking on GM, Toyota, BMW & M-B is no easy task ... which perhaps is why their stock is down 40% this year.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Ken Olson the founder of Digital Equipment, said that "personal computers" were never going to catch on. Back in the 80's in my area of the world, 60% of the people I'd run into on a daily basis, worked for DEC.

Tesla biggest problem, is they still don't employ "car people". They think that what they produce are "transportation devices", not cars Their designs and their quality of fit & finish, is atrocious and the laughing stock of the automotive world. Elon Musk may be a genius, but taking on GM, Toyota, BMW & M-B is no easy task ... which perhaps is why their stock is down 40% this year.
The rest of the remaining 40% were at Wang and Data General!

Agree on Tesla and Musk. This is a hobby for him. He’s on a different level. I’m sure he’s thrilled that BYD is operating on the periphery and no (immediate) threat to him in the US at least

Old 05-05-2024, 01:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,362 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:

Agree on Tesla and Musk. This is a hobby for him. He’s on a different level. I’m sure he’s thrilled that BYD is operating on the periphery and no (immediate) threat to him in the US at least
I am not a big fan of electric vehicles (too expensive and charging is a problem) but BYD cars cost $11,000 to $15,000. If I could get the $7500 tax credit, I would probably buy one.

BYD's new lower-cost EV platform will crush gas-powered car sales

Old 05-05-2024, 04:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The rest of the remaining 40% were at Wang and Data General!
If we ever play golf, I'll tell you the story about how I talked my brother out of doing this deal. $80-Million Wang Complex Sells for $525,000 - Los Angeles Times

7 years ago, the building was sold for $227M.

Old 05-05-2024, 04:29 AM

Quote:
What's the point?

That automobile prices are negotiable, just like homes, repairs and most any big ticket items?
Always and only buy a car on the last sales day of the month. They will make deals that day , that won't make any other day, in order to meet sales quotas!

Old 05-05-2024, 04:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
If we ever play golf, I'll tell you the story about how I talked my brother out of doing this deal. $80-Million Wang Complex Sells for $525,000 - Los Angeles Times

7 years ago, the building was sold for $227M.
I remember this vividly. For the buyer, one of the greatest real estate transactions in history. Definitely in Lowell history. Every time I drive by it on Route 3...I shake my head

Old 05-05-2024, 04:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonD View Post
Always and only buy a car on the last sales day of the month. They will make deals that day , that won't make any other day, in order to meet sales quotas!
There are (3) situations you're likely to get a good deal, if you're smart about it.

1. The last day of the month (as your said).

2. The last week of the year (between Christmas & New Year's Day).

3. The last week of a Manufacturers Incentive Program (this one is HUGE, but hard to identify, as the information isn't usually public).

Old 05-05-2024, 04:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I remember this vividly. For the buyer, one of the greatest real estate transactions in history. Definitely in Lowell history. Every time I drive by it on Route 3...I shake my head

We were on our way to the Auction, with a Cashier's Check. The snow was blinding. Brian Kelly & Dan Doherty out smarted me, that's for sure..

Old 05-05-2024, 04:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Trending on X today:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 5.30.55 AM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	103988  

Old 05-05-2024, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

I bought a new car last summer. I went to 1 dealer to find exactly what I wanted. I then sent out around 25 emails/website inquiries to dealers describing the car, trim level, with the exact items/options I needed on the car, asking for their best out the door price, all while using an email alias. All while sitting at home. All the dealers gave me an out the door price, and some came back with a price and would say something like we won’t lose a deal on price. So I had a few dealers bidding against themselves. After a couple of weeks, I took the lowest offer and drove down to Tampa to look at the car and test drive it, then purchased it. After buying the car, I deleted my email alias so none of the dealers could send me offers or future emails. This was for a brand new car that I was familiar with and knew exactly what model trim, colors, etc that I wanted.
Next year when I want a new car, I would do the same thing

Tags
car, views, million, ago, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.