Was I right or was I wrong? Somebody here will know about forklift safety.

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2023, 05:33 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts
Default Was I right or was I wrong? Somebody here will know about forklift safety.

After spending the past 15 minutes reading OSHA rules for forklift safety, it occurred to me it would be easier to ask TOTVers if I was right or wrong in a recent scenario in a big box store. Someone here will know for sure.

Anyway……

I was totally engrossed in looking at plants in the greenhouse section of a big box store.

A forklift appeared, quite close by, in the same aisle as me.

One kid was in front of it waving two flags like some sort of drum major, while another kid was driving the forklift.
(By kid I mean maybe late teens, early 20s.)

They paraded on by.

I was a bit surprised at the lack of clearance that had been between the forklift and me and then I thought….that could not have been right.

Well, never one to pass up a teachable moment , I went to the spot where the two had stopped the forklift and said — in the kindest, most gentle, supportive, encouraging way possible, “Hey guys, you should totally clear customers out of the way before driving a forklift down an aisle.”

They stared at me blankly.

(That’s the end of the story. Nobody was flattened.)

And, NO, I did not report it to the manager. Geez. I was just making the world a better place in which to live — and maybe saving some other gray-haired gardener who might not have hearing as good as mine. Besides, I was glad to see those kids working. No need for drama on my part.

(I found the “halo rule” but 3 feet does not seem like enough in a public place — and I don’t think the halo was there anyway.)

So? Was I right or was I wrong? Should that aisle have been totally cleared of customers?

Just Curious Boomer
Old 05-16-2023, 05:48 PM

Really? Waving flags doesn't ring a bell? If you don't feel safe move.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,478 Posts

If you go to a store like Sams they would close the entire aisle for customers so as to prevent disaster.

Whoever allowed these two kids to do this should be shown the door.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,692 Times in 3,176 Posts

Lowes closes the aisle too for the forklifts with a "cage" to sit in. Or they always used to, I haven't been in a Lowes in awhile when they were operating one.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,329 Posts

I agree with above, I have been in various big box stores, and have always seen the isles completely closed off (I was chased out of an isle one time). I would have reported this to a supervisor.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,224 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
After spending the past 15 minutes reading OSHA rules for forklift safety, it occurred to me it would be easier to ask TOTVers if I was right or wrong in a recent scenario in a big box store. Someone here will know for sure.

Anyway……

I was totally engrossed in looking at plants in the greenhouse section of a big box store.

One kid was in front of it waving two flags like some sort of drum major, while another kid was driving the forklift.
(By kid I mean maybe late teens, early 20s.)

They paraded on by.

I was a bit surprised at the lack of clearance that had been between the forklift and me and then I thought….that could not have been right.

Well, never one to pass up a teachable moment , I went to the spot where the two had stopped the forklift and said — in the kindest, most gentle, supportive, encouraging way possible, “Hey guys, you should totally clear customers out of the way before driving a forklift down an aisle.”

They stared at me blankly.

(That’s the end of the story. Nobody was flattened.)

And, NO, I did not report it to the manager. Geez. I was just making the world a better place in which to live — and maybe saving some other gray-haired gardener who might not have hearing as good as mine. Besides, I was glad to see those kids working. No need for drama on my part.

(I found the “halo rule” but 3 feet does not seem like enough in a public place — and I don’t think the halo was there anyway.)

So? Was I right or was I wrong? Should that aisle have been totally cleared of customers?

Just Curious Boomer
I think the 3' Halo Rule applies.

Additionally, forklift operators are required to be trained and Certified and Re-Certified every 3 years.

I suspect the "training" these kids got, consisted of someone telling them: "be careful and don't hit anyone".
Old 05-17-2023, 07:05 AM

Not enough info from the OP. If the forklift was simply transversing an aisle, most stores do not close the aisle. If the forklift is actually working in that aisle (lift merch, etc) most stores close down the aisle. Isn't the flag-person and loud beeping enough to warn customers to move to saftey???

So if it was going thru a couple aisles to get to the aisle to be working... another worker would need to place closure-things at every upcoming aisle the forklift will be moving to, then remove the closure-things in the aisle it came from.

C'mon folks - common sense dictates common sense. It's YOUR responsibility to move out of the way. I have been in stores that have the large floor cleaner passing by - just move.

Of course if anything should happen to a customer (by their neglect perhaps) --- lawsuits and stores will have to hire more folks. Prices up. More complaints.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

One should never rely on the actions (or lack thereof) of others to dictate their safety.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:43 AM
Platinum member
Default Looking for love in all the wrong places

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
after spending the past 15 minutes reading osha rules for forklift safety, it occurred to me it would be easier to ask totvers if i was right or wrong in a recent scenario in a big box store. Someone here will know for sure.

Anyway……

i was totally engrossed in looking at plants in the greenhouse section of a big box store.

(by kid i mean maybe late teens, early 20s.)

they paraded on by.

I was a bit surprised at the lack of clearance that had been between the forklift and me and then i thought….that could not have been right.

Well, never one to pass up a teachable moment , i went to the spot where the two had stopped the forklift and said — in the kindest, most gentle, supportive, encouraging way possible, “hey guys, you should totally clear customers out of the way before driving a forklift down an aisle.”

they stared at me blankly.

(that’s the end of the story. Nobody was flattened.)

and, no, i did not report it to the manager. Geez. I was just making the world a better place in which to live — and maybe saving some other gray-haired gardener who might not have hearing as good as mine. Besides, i was glad to see those kids working. No need for drama on my part.

(i found the “halo rule” but 3 feet does not seem like enough in a public place — and i don’t think the halo was there anyway.)

so? Was i right or was i wrong? Should that aisle have been totally cleared of customers?

Just curious boomer
common sense dictates that the aisle should have been cleared or blocked off. From an osha perspective they did their job correctly. Osha seems to protect the workers and not consumers. Had you been injured they would have had a very poor defense to justify their actions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230518_053928.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	98478  
Old 05-18-2023, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

I worked in a DHL warehouse. We ran around up and down pick aisles all day long. Generally, a sounding of the horn and some kind of acknowledgment like eye contact or a head nod is considered sufficiently safe to pass pedestrians. Did either of the kids (driver or flag waver) say anything, sound a horn, or make eye contact? Then I would say you were made sufficiently aware of their presence and the remaining onus is on the pedestrian to stay clear.

By the way, these machines were going 10mph. That’s running pace for your average runner. They were not the glacially slow pace I see them going at the big box stores with flag wavers, etc.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 05-18-2023 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Wrote “and” twice.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:56 AM

Really.......is this what we're complaining about?? Stop diving into these 1st world problems and go volunteer at a shelter or food bank and see where we really need to focus our energy.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:11 AM

I always make myself scarce just in case this guy shows up.

https://youtu.be/eZD40qcrecg
Old 05-18-2023, 06:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo50 View Post
one should never rely on the actions (or lack thereof) of others to dictate their safety.
dittfngo!
Old 05-18-2023, 06:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I suspect the "training" these kids got, consisted of someone telling them: "be careful and don't hit anyone".
If that.......
Old 05-18-2023, 06:58 AM

Has a certified and long time operator (several types of forklifts and other equipment) - anyone operating a forklift needs to be 18 years old, needs to be trained, tested (skills and safety) and pass to be a quality operator.
Re-certifications depends on the place of business - some are every year others every two years. When time comes to be certified, the operator needs to go through the same procedure as he/she did when they first started (the driving and safety).
Now, when a forklift is operating in a facility like Sams Club, Lowes, Home Depo, etc… it is required to have a spotter in front and rear of the forklift. Their job is to keep anyone from walking out when the forklift is in movement throughout the facility.
It is also up to the driver to be alert of his surroundings when traveling throughout a facility with customers on the floor. With that said, common sense is also important on the customers side; I am sure no one is going to get in front of a moving car, right? That would be crazy.
Now, if you saw the spotters not doing their job or the driver not paying attention to what is was doing? Then yes, get the supervisors attention and address your concerns - it will be a teaching moment for the associates.
Closed Thread

Tags
forklift, totally, kid, wrong, customers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.