Looking for TV Series to Watch

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Yellowstone. Catch up, new season coming.
Great show cant wait for more.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:11 AM

Just read great reviews of “Mare of Easttown” starring Kate Winslet. 7 part series on HBO.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:18 AM

Don’t miss Mare of Easttown on HBO Max with Kate Winslet as a small town detective in PA. Show is the best we’ve seen lately. We paid for a month’s subscriptionand it’s worth every cent.

Last edited by nhenson; 06-16-2021 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 06-16-2021, 07:22 AM

Loved Mare of Easttown on HBO Max. Mare is a female detective in PA. It has received excellent ratings. Subscribed to HBO Max for a month to watch, and it was well worth the cost.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:26 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Boomer, season one of Bosch was pretty gritty but still got me hooked. Each season is different. Season 7, the final season, is being released Friday, June 25th. Still time to binge.

Thanks, Chi-Town,

As I recall, you are the one who got me hooked on Shameless. I had never heard of it until I read your recommendation on TOTV.

I made it through Season 1 of Bosch, even though it was damned creepy. I had to make sure the serial killer got what was coming to him.

I do like the character Bosch, although I doubt that I will ever read the books.

Now we are on the one about the body in the trunk of that beautiful car.

Boomer
Old 06-17-2021, 01:45 PM

We just finished watching "The Kominsky Method!" on Netflix and really enjoyed it. We have now started watching another series that is also on Netflix - "Lupin" . It is a French made series, but all the dialog has been dubbed into English. Other than mouth movements not always matching the audio, it is really well done. It is about a black man avenging the conviction and death of his father. It reminds me a little of "Mission Impossible" and if you liked any of those movies, I think you might like this one too.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:47 AM
Soaring Parsley

Thank you to everybody who recommended Mare of Easttown.

Definitely binge-worthy.

Acting, writing, twists and turns -- all excellent. Jean Smart certainly is coming into her own as she has aged from being Charlene in Designing Women. Her role as Mare's mother should get her an award. She is so real.

Watched it all in two nights and a morning -- glad it was only 7 episodes because we really do have a life outside of television and the computer.

. . .There is a short segment following the last episode where the actors and writer talk about the making of the show.

I am interested in our varying American accents, dialect, and colloquialisms so I liked hearing British Kate Winslet talk about how she worked on sounding like she was, not only American, but from the specific area of Pennsylvania that was the setting for the story.

As much as I liked Justified, when I watched it a long time ago, I never thought they had the Harlan County accent exactly right.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-20-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you to everybody who recommended Mare of Easttown.

Definitely binge-worthy.

Acting, writing, twists and turns -- all excellent. Jean Smart certainly is coming into her own as she has aged from being Charlene in Designing Women. Her role as Mare's mother should get her an award. She is so real.

Watched it all in two nights and a morning -- glad it was only 7 episodes because we really do have a life outside of television and the computer.

. . .There is a short segment following the last episode where the actors and writer talk about the making of the show.

I am interested in our varying American accents, dialect, and colloquialisms so I liked hearing British Kate Winslet talk about how she worked on sounding like she was, not only American, but from the specific area of Pennsylvania that was the setting for the story.

As much as I liked Justified, when I watched it a long time ago, I never thought they had the Harlan County accent exactly right.

Boomer
I'm interested to know, is this small town in eastern or western Pennsylvania, Boomer? If western, I might have to sign up for HBO Max and watch the series. I can recognize my hometown accent no matter where I hear it. Always makes me feel good.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:46 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm interested to know, is this small town in eastern or western Pennsylvania, Boomer? If western, I might have to sign up for HBO Max and watch the series. I can recognize my hometown accent no matter where I hear it. Always makes me feel good.
I think in the interview part they said Delaware County. I don't know PA accents so I don't really know how they did. Btw, Mare drinks Rolling Rock.

At Miami U., kids from Cleveland always thought kids from Cincinnati had a southern accent.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I think in the interview part they said Delaware County. I don't know PA accents so I don't really know how they did. Btw, Mare drinks Rolling Rock.

At Miami U., kids from Cleveland always thought kids from Cincinnati had a southern accent.
Rolling Rock was originally a western PA beer (Latrobe, outside of Pittsburgh, home of Arnold Palmer) but has now become a national brand. Western PA accents are peculiar in that they sound uneducated, but a study by the University of Pittsburgh linguistics department found that the accent is widespread throughout economic and educational levels alike.

I think I just talked myself into subscribing to HBO Max. When the lockdown first started, HBO put Max up for 60 days free of charge. I binge-watched all 60+ episodes of Six Feet Under, a fantastic show.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
"At first, the producers just wanted the accents to be a general New York sound. It wasn't until Kate Winslet decided to have her accent be authentic to the Philadelphia area that the production got on board. Because the story is set in the fictionalized version of Easttown, Chester County, Pennsylvania, there were discussions about whether to use the "Delco accent", a version of the Philadelphia accent common in Delaware County. It was Winslet who insisted that the accent be used, despite being a particularly difficult accent to learn, because she felt that the community was essential to the story, and thus required an authentic dialect." --from IMDB Trivia click here

Great show. Loved it. Watched it on HBO Max. My YouTube TV is currently giving me 5 free days of it.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
"At first, the producers just wanted the accents to be a general New York sound. It wasn't until Kate Winslet decided to have her accent be authentic to the Philadelphia area that the production got on board. Because the story is set in the fictionalized version of Easttown, Chester County, Pennsylvania, there were discussions about whether to use the "Delco accent", a version of the Philadelphia accent common in Delaware County. It was Winslet who insisted that the accent be used, despite being a particularly difficult accent to learn, because she felt that the community was essential to the story, and thus required an authentic dialect." --from IMDB Trivia click here

Great show. Loved it. Watched it on HBO Max. My YouTube TV is currently giving me 5 free days of it.
Thanks, Ecuadog. My father's side of the state for me, but I'm interested anyway, and we've got You Tube TV.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:31 AM
Platinum member
Default Tv series

Braking bad, The Crown, of course Downton Abbey,
Tampa, FL
Old 07-10-2021, 10:29 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Rolling Rock was originally a western PA beer (Latrobe, outside of Pittsburgh, home of Arnold Palmer) but has now become a national brand. Western PA accents are peculiar in that they sound uneducated, but a study by the University of Pittsburgh linguistics department found that the accent is widespread throughout economic and educational levels alike.

I think I just talked myself into subscribing to HBO Max. When the lockdown first started, HBO put Max up for 60 days free of charge. I binge-watched all 60+ episodes of Six Feet Under, a fantastic show.

Hi CFrance,

When I read your comment here on Six Feet Under, I decided it might be a good one for us to start watching. We are to the part where Nate catches on to what Brenda has been doing -- and realizes that her writing is not fiction.

I like the show -- other than Brenda. She makes my skin crawl -- and I feel like the writers are pandering to a percentage of their perceived audience by taking up so much of the plot with her psycho behavior.

I like David and Nate and Keith and Rico and hope Claire and her mother eventually get their acts together, but I can't take much more of Brenda.

I was hoping Brenda would go away, but I just looked up how long she is in the series and found out she is there from the pilot to the finale.

I realize dysfunction junction in general is the basis for all the characters' relationships, but I am so tired of Brenda that I want to stop watching. But I also want to know how everything else turns out.

Brenda gets too much attention from the writers. I think they are leaning on her plotline mostly because it's easy pandering. I hope her storyline does not continue to take up so much space in the scripts.

Other than Brenda though, the rest of the show is getting me hooked.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 07-10-2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

The Killing is an excellent well-written detective story with lots of twists and turns.
Closed Thread

Tags
shows, monk, mentalist, good, open

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.