Newest NY AirBnB regulations

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2023, 12:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
During the summer, I live in a resort/vacation area. We have 500 homes in the development, of which 100 are now used as STR's. Many of them are disruptive to the neighborhood, mostly because of the intensive use during the 10 week summer season.

We have 3 bedroom homes, hosting 12-15 people. Our water system can't supply water, our neighborhood roads can't handle the traffic, our beach isn't big enough and our land won't support the sewerage discharge, to say nothing of the fact, that "short term vacationers" aren't always the most considerate neighbors.

In The Villages, my street has 3-4 STR's I can see when I look out my front door. I have witnessed zero problems, other than perhaps, folks putting out their trash on the wrong day.

Just for the record, I'm philosophically opposed to STR's in a Residential Zone. I think over time, they destabilize neighborhoods. I believe The Villages marketing and deed restrictions preclude the use of single family homes, as motels.

I think the visceral response some folks have on the subject in The Villages, is more related to your statement above:: "I'm not old enough to be one of those "get off my lawn" people".

The Villages is without a doubt, the least "tolerant" community I've ever seen. As we get older, we seem more resistant to change and less accepting of inconvenience and/or the unexpected. Put 130,000+ seniors together and you have the perfect storm. If today is different than yesterday, something is wrong and it's not me. It's the "renters", it's the "snowbirds" or it's the Northerners (or the roundabouts, the hours at the pool or dogs pooping).

Luckily, we don't have many "minorities" (of the LGBQ, color or religious persuasion) in TV. If we did, we'd see intolerance rise to new heights.
Wow! What kind of resort area do you live in during the summer? One with outhouses and a community well? I find it hard to believe a resort/vacation area is not equipped with proper water and sewage.

I have been here 20+ years and would not describe anyone as intolerant. Vocal, yes! Apt to use words that were not considered harmful years ago? Yes, but bring it to their attention and they take note. I do not know what Village you live in but mine has quite a few minorities and some of the LGBQ community. I am proud to call them my friends because they are good people.

This is a forum where people present their views. What one does in a general debate does not determine who a person is. Perhaps you take TOTV too seriously.

Forgive me! I am old enough to be one of those "get of my lawn" people. The youth have no more rights than the elderly population. Mock us as they may, some day, they will get old. Do you think they will want to live with the rules of their youth? As an adult, I believe it is my responsibility to guide youth; not acquiesce to them.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-11-2023 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
On TOTV, people don't need any "support" for their opinions, they just assume everyone wants to hear from them. How many times in life have we heard the words: "consider the source"?

I particular enjoy the "I'm not going to comment" or "I'm taking the 5th" type posts.

The most prolific poster in this thread, has been on TOTV for 20 days and according to his posts, "just bought a home here". With 160 posts in the 20 days he's been here, he hasn't had much time to find his way around TV, never mind have the time to experience the impact of STR's on the community.

Another prolific poster on the 2 recent threads on STR's has been on TOTV for barely 4 months and despite a "2 week vacation from TOTV", has found the time to make 400+ posts, on every subject under the sun ... 65 posts just on STR's!

Folks, if you haven't lived through a winter in TV, you don't have a clue about life in The Villages. If you spend most of your day at your computer keyboard, you need to get out and about.
hmmm...a new person who posts 8 times a day? I suspect probably just getting accquainted with TOTV. Most of his/her posts are probably three or 4 words long. But, who cares? BTW: There is an ignore feature. You do not have to take the time to denounce posters. Just press and go!

I counted your today's posts on this thread since you seem to want to zero in on this subject matter. You posted 3 in one day! Goodness! Three? Did you post on other threads, too? "Considering the source," that is too many.

Now, let's look at the other poster you object to. A person who has been on the forum for 4 months and posts an average of 3-4 times a day? I believe some post more but I don't have the time nor the interest to look at everyone's stats. (As if they actually mean something). Take your own advice. Step away from the computer and get out and about. Maybe, you will run into the other two posters who you requested do the same.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-11-2023 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:10 AM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

I watched The Village Newcomers one day and someone just bought a new home. He was so excited to move to The Villages only to find out that an investor bought his entire block for rentals. What a sad feeling to be the only actual homeowner on a block. That should not be allowed. Just saying.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,008 Times in 4,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowfromminnesota View Post
I watched The Village Newcomers one day and someone just bought a new home. He was so excited to move to The Villages only to find out that an investor bought his entire block for rentals. What a sad feeling to be the only actual homeowner on a block. That should not be allowed. Just saying.
If true, I couldn't agree more. I do have to question how someone could put in paperwork for an entire block, and get it, given the competitive nature of the market.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,071 Times in 547 Posts
Default Issue for Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
If true, I couldn't agree more. I do have to question how someone could put in paperwork for an entire block, and get it, given the competitive nature of the market.
This has to be a major point for elections. Commissioners and representatives need to be pronounced on their standings for STRs. The majority are against them and the message needs to be loud and clear.

Today’s news :
https://www.**************.com/2023/...-the-villages/

A convicted child molester (12 year old in 2019)found his way into The Villages thanks to a rental.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Normal; 09-11-2023 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,008 Times in 4,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
This has to be a major point for elections. Commissioners and representatives need to be pronounced on their standings for STRs. The majority are against them and the message needs to be loud and clear.
But, as usual, the question will be which politicians are willing to address the problem and which are only giving lip service to the problem to get elected?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Today’s news :

A convicted child molester (12 year old in 2019)found his way into The Villages thanks to a rental.

1. What do you base your statement that the majority are against STRs on? Counting people who post on TOTV, from talking to your neighbors? Not sure that would be considered scientific. Is there a poll of all villagers that you are quoting from?

2. To be perfectly honest, I do not want BAD short term renters beside me. But I also don't want full time neighbors that let their dog loose to do their business in the flowers in the circle in front of my house or in my yard, but that is what I have.

3. I also do not want more restrictions on what I can do with my property. I bought my property with one set of restrictions, and they should not change after I purchased it in such a substantive way. If I can live in the villages 6 months a year because I am able to rent it out the other 6 months of the year, then I should be allowed to do it (if those are the conditions under which I purchased my property). BTW, I have never rented my property for a single minute since I purchased 10 years ago.

4. Which do you perfer, a permanent convicted child molester or one that is there for only a week? Or are you saying that the villages does background checks on all purchases (through the villages and by owner) precluding permanent residents with a record?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,115 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:

Today’s news :

Is there a Deed Restriction against Sex Offenders buying a home in The Villages? Maybe he had to rent, because he couldn't afford to buy? Those pesky legal bills could have put a dent in his stock portfolio.

I'm not advocating that TV offer itself as a haven for Registered Sex Offenders, but better to have them in TV, than some family neighborhood with a zillion kids running around.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Today’s news :

And you have some reason to believe this was a short-term rental, right; or are you now arguing to stop ALL rentals in the Villages?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-11-2023, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
1. What do you base your statement that the majority are against STRs on? Counting people who post on TOTV, from talking to your neighbors? Not sure that would be considered scientific. Is there a poll of all villagers that you are quoting from?

2. To be perfectly honest, I do not want BAD short term renters beside me. But I also don't want full time neighbors that let their dog loose to do their business in the flowers in the circle in front of my house or in my yard, but that is what I have.

3. I also do not want more restrictions on what I can do with my property. I bought my property with one set of restrictions, and they should not change after I purchased it in such a substantive way. If I can live in the villages 6 months a year because I am able to rent it out the other 6 months of the year, then I should be allowed to do it (if those are the conditions under which I purchased my property). BTW, I have never rented my property for a single minute since I purchased 10 years ago.

4. Which do you perfer, a permanent convicted child molester or one that is there for only a week? Or are you saying that the villages does background checks on all purchases (through the villages and by owner) precluding permanent residents with a record?
Those are not the only options. And you can rent out your property for say, a month or more with much less people complaining about it. Owners do usually run background checks, your home, your furniture, your kitchen things, don’t you want to know WHO is using them or abusing them, before you come back for the next 6 months?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
And you have some reason to believe this was a short-term rental, right; or are you now arguing to stop ALL rentals in the Villages?

Nope, just against the accommodation of the needs of a renter/child abuser sex offender. I’m against it and of course along with other transient clientele.

AirBnBs bring crime. Just this morning we had a shooting at an AirBnB outside Orlando in Davenport resulting in one dead and one wounded at a birthday party celebration.

Man shot to death, woman injured during birthday party at Florida Airbnb, deputies say

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 09-11-2023, 11:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

I’m against it and of course along with other transient clientele.

AirBnBs bring crime.
I think the statistic show that alcohol is a much better indicator of increased crime, than renting vacationers.

Is there any reason not to ban alcohol in TV?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Is there a Deed Restriction against Sex Offenders buying a home in The Villages? Maybe he had to rent, because he couldn't afford to buy? Those pesky legal bills could have put a dent in his stock portfolio.

I'm not advocating that TV offer itself as a haven for Registered Sex Offenders, but better to have them in TV, than some family neighborhood with a zillion kids running around.
Are you being facetious?
Old 09-11-2023, 12:01 PM
Gold member
Default Noticed

Quote:
I think the statistic show that alcohol is a much better indicator of increased crime, than renting vacationers.

Is there any reason not to ban alcohol in TV?
Hey, notice this happened in the town adjacent to Orlando. Davenport has no STR enforcement. Orlando requires the landlord to live in the building they rent out. I guess STR control is good for the community. Davenport should move into a stronger enforcement rule and adopt Orlando’s stance.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Hey, notice this happened in the town adjacent to Orlando. Davenport has no STR enforcement. Orlando requires the landlord to live in the building they rent out. I guess STR control is good for the community. Davenport should move into a stronger enforcement rule and adopt Orlando’s stance.

People who post, really should get their facts reasonably straight, before engaging their keyboard.

The City of Orlando has PROHIBITED Short Term Rentals in the Residential Zoning District, since 1991.

This prohibition was IN PLACE, prior to the State of Florida enacting a law that PROHIBITED cities and towns from regulating STR's.

In 2018, the City of Orlando RELAXED it's ban on STR's and now allows them, under certain restrictions. STR's are good for business in a vacation/resort area.

If you would like some understanding of how and why the City of Orlando was "Grandfathered" and was able to keep their STR ban in place, despite the new Florida law prohibiting STR bans, go back and read my Post #102 (part of which is below).

Quote:

There are *some* towns (& perhaps states) that have "beat the STR problem". It has to do with the way the community (or Zoning Authority) defines "Residential Use".

When the majority of Zoning Regulations were written, STR's didn't exist, so they typically weren't addressed in zoning schemes. Some zoning authorities (mostly by accident) decided to define "Transient Use" in their zoning scheme. Those communities (or states) have avoided the STR battles, because most don't allow "Transient Use" in their Residential Districts.

In other words, if a zoning scheme doesn't specifically define "transient use", most courts have concluded that STR's fall into the definition of "Residential". (BTW, some of the communities in FL that are "Grandfathered" with respect to their STR Regulations [I believe there are 75 of them], are Grandfathered because their zoning scheme defines "transient use" and prohibit that usage in a residentially zoned district.)
Closed Thread

Tags
handle, great, regulations, days, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.