Repeat Offenders

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,909 Times in 5,327 Posts
Default Repeat Offenders

Why do prosecutors and judges release repeat violent offenders into society when they know (or should know) that these people will commit more violent crimes? Why don't they prosecute them and put them in prison for the maximum amount of time prescribed by law? I don't understand the rationale. Do they really think that these criminals will go home and suddenly become law abiding citizens?
Old 02-23-2023, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Why do prosecutors and judges release repeat violent offenders into society when they know (or should know) that these people will commit more violent crimes? Why don't they prosecute them and put them in prison for the maximum amount of time prescribed by law? I don't understand the rationale. Do they really think that these criminals will go home and suddenly become law abiding citizens?
It is a good question.

Don't know so much about here, but in a lot of places it comes down to available space. Can't sentence someone to prison if every prison in the state is already overcrowded.

There should be answers beyond that though. Home confinement with a non-removable ankle ring that reports where the offender is at all times. Maybe heftier retribution sentences in lieu of confinement. But the ONE thing that would help the most is the one thing that gets very little mention. I don't know the exact number but a whole lot, maybe half, of people sentenced to confinement are there for drug-related offenses, and a number of others are there because they turn to criminal behavior to support a drug habit. I have no problem with sentencing the drug lords, kingpins, suppliers, etc. to hefty sentences, but for probably most of the others, if we treat drug issues as a medical condition rather than a legal issue, we'd be going a long way toward opening up prison space for those who really deserve it.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,993 Times in 767 Posts

It's a continuous stream of revenue to the Sherriff and Police Dept with fines.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,763 Times in 471 Posts

I am baffled by the recent sympathy towards criminals by the courts, at the expense of victims.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,495 Times in 2,566 Posts

There are some parts of Sharia Law that make a lot of sense!
Old 02-23-2023, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
It is a good question.

Don't know so much about here, but in a lot of places it comes down to available space. Can't sentence someone to prison if every prison in the state is already overcrowded.

There should be answers beyond that though. Home confinement with a non-removable ankle ring that reports where the offender is at all times. Maybe heftier retribution sentences in lieu of confinement. But the ONE thing that would help the most is the one thing that gets very little mention. I don't know the exact number but a whole lot, maybe half, of people sentenced to confinement are there for drug-related offenses, and a number of others are there because they turn to criminal behavior to support a drug habit. I have no problem with sentencing the drug lords, kingpins, suppliers, etc. to hefty sentences, but for probably most of the others, if we treat drug issues as a medical condition rather than a legal issue, we'd be going a long way toward opening up prison space for those who really deserve it.
👍….
Old 02-23-2023, 11:51 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,774 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
It is a good question.

As you pointed out, it is a very complicated, interrelated, issue, and most people want ONE SIMPLE answer. Have adult children in St. Louis. Interesting and tragic situation there right now. Young female teen, in town with her parents, volleyball team, and coach from her high school in Tennessee (big tournament) just lost BOTH of her legs as a result of an individual with a horrendous criminal record and, like so many cases now, should never have been free to harm anymore people. But that brings us back to the point of their chief circuit attorney, Kim Gardner, may finally be removed from office. But.... this is the same story over and over in nearly every big city. If and when some of these people are finally removed for incompetency, will it really make a difference ? Or. do our larger cities have so many complex and interrelated problems they are "insolvable" ? It would be a start, but, would her removal (or resignation) change things ?
Old 02-23-2023, 12:40 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,872 Times in 3,697 Posts

have u been on a college campus in the last 30 years??
Old 02-24-2023, 04:23 AM
Default It all comes down to $ and lack or reform

Incarcerations costs big bucks. There is constant pressure not to increase taxes or allocate more funds. Politicians want to be reelected to they will shy away from tax hikes. Same pressure on judges and prosecutors.

Reform is also needed: Overall, there are roughly 23,000 people still in jail for marijuana possession as their sole offense; and as of 2020, over 45 percent of nationwide monthly violations are still drug-related.

Personally, I believe the family structure in America no longer exists in many places and children grow without, respect, love, consequences and care.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:03 AM
Default Way off with your statistics, 'maybe have incarcerated for drug related offenses'

There are some states that will incarcerate for drug possession only not as a plea for dealing. Does not make half the convicts doing time. Cal, NY, NJ are closing prisons. How many other states have closed or will soon?
Old 02-24-2023, 05:16 AM
Platinum member
Default Ride the lightning

How about for excessive felonies
1. Loss of usa citizenship after serving sentence

2. Immediate deportation

3. If found back in usa, minimum 30 yr sentence

4. No deals for murderers & treason
Old 02-24-2023, 05:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'll risk being banned for this but, one PIECE of a solution might be if the prisons were NOT overcrowded with NON-violent offenders, there'd be room for the violent offenders. Someone who's only "crime" was having an ounce of marijuana on their person does NOT belong in jail.

Last edited by djplong; 02-24-2023 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-24-2023, 05:49 AM
Default I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It's a continuous stream of revenue to the Sherriff and Police Dept with fines.
Huh? The prison systems are not overseen by the sheriff or the police departments. Prisons are under the control of the state department of corrections, or the federal prison systems. The police departments have temporary holding cells, and the sheriff can house convicted misdemeanor violators for up to six months. Any incarceration longer than six months would be classified as a felony and the person would be confined to prison.

I realize this is getting off course from the OP's original question, for which I have no answer on how to solve, except the drug problem does result in a number of crimes to feed their habit, and the preponderance of criminals come from one parent homes where there usually is no father to set the example. Is that the case with all of the convicted felons? Absolutely not! But it is in most
Old 02-24-2023, 06:26 AM

It’s all about destroying this country
Old 02-24-2023, 06:29 AM

The present prosecution process enables bad behavior and the criminals know it. A culture of responsibility and accountability needs to be implemented so the Bad guys know they can’t get away with it.
Closed Thread

Tags
repeat, law, offenders, violent, rationale

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.