Repeat Offenders

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2023, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,217 Times in 768 Posts

Good reason for constitutional carry , isn't it.....
Old 02-24-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Why do prosecutors and judges release repeat violent offenders into society when they know (or should know) that these people will commit more violent crimes? Why don't they prosecute them and put them in prison for the maximum amount of time prescribed by law? I don't understand the rationale. Do they really think that these criminals will go home and suddenly become law abiding citizens?
When a person chooses to become a Predatory Animal, and sees his neighborhood as his Hunting Ground and his neighbors as Prey he must be neutralized to protect his Intended Prey, and Future Intended Prey.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
As you pointed out, it is a very complicated, interrelated, issue, and most people want ONE SIMPLE answer. Have adult children in St. Louis. Interesting and tragic situation there right now. Young female teen, in town with her parents, volleyball team, and coach from her high school in Tennessee (big tournament) just lost BOTH of her legs as a result of an individual with a horrendous criminal record and, like so many cases now, should never have been free to harm anymore people. But that brings us back to the point of their chief circuit attorney, Kim Gardner, may finally be removed from office. But.... this is the same story over and over in nearly every big city. If and when some of these people are finally removed for incompetency, will it really make a difference ? Or. do our larger cities have so many complex and interrelated problems they are "insolvable" ? It would be a start, but, would her removal (or resignation) change things ?
Kim Gardner is incompetent past the point of insanity. Missouri, though, will not build enough prisons, or adequately staff those that are there, nor does the State adequately train or pay the prison staff they have. Crime does not pay, it costs, and it is real expensive. Maybe they should outsource some of their prison responsibilities to the Chinese “reeducation “ system.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,872 Times in 3,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Good reason for constitutional carry , isn't it.....
We should start a thread.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:37 AM

Don't' know of any in todays world of someone going to state prison for possession of small amounts of drugs, commonly refered to as recreational quantity. State prisons are where we send the violent actors and those that sell, transport or distribute larger amounts of drug. As the courts and prosecutors have become more lenient, crime continues to rise. Population increases and prison cells are pretty stagnant in numbers. We literally see it every day so many being arrested and let go without bail. Not that ability alone helps unless it so high it keeps the violent offenders in. The answer by some is to make a serious crime,a felony, so that the jails don't overflow. Thats working great as car hijackers, that are committing ROBBERY and many times with a DEADLY WEAPON, both serious felonies in the Penal laws. There are just too many serious felonies happening and criminals let out to solve the issue.The criminals are having the time of their lives and the expense of the law abiding public. Until we're either going to build more prisons, just like we build more housing as the population grows so does the criminal population. Be safe out there.
Old 02-24-2023, 10:46 AM

Don't' know of any in todays world of someone going to state prison for possession of small amounts of drugs, commonly refered to as recreational quantity. State prisons are where we send the violent actors and those that sell, transport or distribute larger amounts of drug. As the courts and prosecutors have become more lenient, crime continues to rise. Population increases and prison cells are pretty stagnant in numbers. We literally see it every day so many being arrested and let go without bail. Not that ability alone helps unless it so high it keeps the violent offenders in. The answer by some is to make a serious crimethat is a felony and make it a misdemeanor so that the jails don't overflow. Thats working great as car hijackers, that are committing ROBBERY and many times with a DEADLY WEAPON, both serious felonies in the Penal laws. There are just too many serious felonies happening and criminals let out to solve the issue.The criminals are having the time of their lives and the expense of the law abiding public. Until we're either going to build more prisons, just like we build more housing as the population grows so does the criminal population. Be safe out there.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
Don't' know of any in todays world of someone going to state prison for possession of small amounts of drugs, commonly refered to as recreational quantity. State prisons are where we send the violent actors and those that sell, transport or distribute larger amounts of drug. As the courts and prosecutors have become more lenient, crime continues to rise. Population increases and prison cells are pretty stagnant in numbers. We literally see it every day so many being arrested and let go without bail. Not that ability alone helps unless it so high it keeps the violent offenders in. The answer by some is to make a serious crimethat is a felony and make it a misdemeanor so that the jails don't overflow. Thats working great as car hijackers, that are committing ROBBERY and many times with a DEADLY WEAPON, both serious felonies in the Penal laws. There are just too many serious felonies happening and criminals let out to solve the issue.The criminals are having the time of their lives and the expense of the law abiding public. Until we're either going to build more prisons, just like we build more housing as the population grows so does the criminal population. Be safe out there.
“The criminals are having the time of their lives and the expense of the law abiding public. Until we're either going to build more prisons, just like we build more housing as the population grows so does the criminal population. Be safe out there.“

Maybe at least a part of the answer is to make the laws regarding protection of one’s person and property a bit more sensible. Two things immediately come to mind that would aid in that:

1. If it is provable that a criminal was killed during the commission of a felony, or to prevent loss of life or substantial bodily harm to the intended victim or others, then the person who stopped the crime from happening will be forever immune from criminal prosecution for the act in question; and

2. Anyone who acts in the manner above to stop a felony in progress or to prevent loss of life or substantial bodily harm to the intended victim or others, shall be exempt from all civil lawsuits on the part of the perpetrator’s family or by the perpetrator, in the event that the perpetrator survived the incident.

Draconian? Maybe. But all too often, in all too many jurisdictions, the law has proven itself either incapable or unwilling to protect the law-abiding citizenry.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,774 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
have u been on a college campus in the last 30 years??
Absolutely ! Saw "it" evolving for at least the last 20-25 years in three different states. Must add, state universities where I taught definitely had a different administrative "political flavor" than I experienced at two private universities and one private college !
Old 02-24-2023, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Why do prosecutors and judges release repeat violent offenders into society when they know (or should know) that these people will commit more violent crimes? Why don't they prosecute them and put them in prison for the maximum amount of time prescribed by law? I don't understand the rationale. Do they really think that these criminals will go home and suddenly become law abiding citizens?
We should farm out our prisoners to Japan! They don't heat the cells and use punishment when necessary to improve the attitude and psychology of their prisoners with the intent of releasing them ONLY when they can resume a productive life in Japanese society.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
It is a good question.

Don't know so much about here, but in a lot of places it comes down to available space. Can't sentence someone to prison if every prison in the state is already overcrowded.

There should be answers beyond that though. Home confinement with a non-removable ankle ring that reports where the offender is at all times. Maybe heftier retribution sentences in lieu of confinement. But the ONE thing that would help the most is the one thing that gets very little mention. I don't know the exact number but a whole lot, maybe half, of people sentenced to confinement are there for drug-related offenses, and a number of others are there because they turn to criminal behavior to support a drug habit. I have no problem with sentencing the drug lords, kingpins, suppliers, etc. to hefty sentences, but for probably most of the others, if we treat drug issues as a medical condition rather than a legal issue, we'd be going a long way toward opening up prison space for those who really deserve it.
Maybe paying teachers better salaries and having more competition for teachers' jobs would HELP turn young CHILDREN into BETTER, more productive, smarter, and happier well-adjusted ADULTS ?
..........OH Yes, I forgot we don't REALLY want that because our TAXES might have to go up a notch.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default So many hymns out there and so few noodled that address this problem

Quote:
With all the mind-numbing statistics thrown about in the criminal justice system, perhaps none is more important than the recidivism rate – the likelihood that someone who broke the law once will do it again after being set free. This is the number that tells us who we would be wise to keep locked up, and who is (statistically) safe to send home
The U.S. Sentencing Commission released the results of a major study of all 25,431 federal offenders released in 2005. For the most part it reaffirms the conventional wisdom of criminologists: older offenders and those with more education are less likely to return to a life of crime and the culture of their upbring.has alot to do with this problem. The single best indicator of whether an ex-offender will become a re-offender is the length and seriousness of his or hers rap sheet. The conclusions bear repeating, since they offer some guidance to policy-makers but are looking to please a lot of their constituents and who are mostly not criminologists.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Maybe paying teachers better salaries and having more competition for teachers' jobs would HELP turn young CHILDREN into BETTER, more productive, smarter, and happier well-adjusted ADULTS ?
Pay the teachers all you want................without engaged parents, you ain't gonna have better, more productive, smarter, happier.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Absolutely ! Saw "it" evolving for at least the last 20-25 years in three different states. Must add, state universities where I taught definitely had a different administrative "political flavor" than I experienced at two private universities and one private college !
agree.................i was using "college" generically.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
..........OH Yes, I forgot we don't REALLY want that because our TAXES might have to go up a notch.
An all-too-common misapprehension. As a matter of fact, the only provable correlation between money spent for public school education and the quality of the finished product (graduation rates, test scores, post-secondary education rates) is inverse. Take any state you care to choose, compare the money spent for public schooling district-to-district, and then apply the criteria mentioned and I’ll guarantee you that as a whole the districts that spend the most, have the poorest results. To propose addressing that problem by throwing even more money at those districts is the definition of illogic.

There is a very good reason for this, and it has nothing to do with the schools. It has everything to do with how the kids are socialized. There are of course exceptions, but in general a kid’s direction in life is determined between birth and age five when the majority of that kid’s socialization happens. So what do you think will be the result if a young toddler is exposed to two wholesome parental influences, solid role-models, praise given to older siblings who succeed in school, a strong moral code with solid values, etc., as compared to a kid who from infancy on hears about how bad the establishment (read “Whitey”) is, whose only parental influence may very well be only a mother whose “mothering” is tepid at best, no solid father figure but rather a series of older males (siblings, whatever) who are involved with the criminal justice system from a very young age, whose knowledge of the school system before he ever entered it extends to hearing it ridiculed at home and those who succeed in school routinely put down, and then topped off by being told by various means that he is incapable of succeeding UNLESS he accepts help from the very establishment he has been taught to hate—and what is the result? Answer is obvious. Many if not most of these kids are beyond hope by the time the school system has anything at all to do with them, and to expect to buy miracles by throwing ever-more money at the schools who have to deal with these kids—well, in my book that’s a pretty good definition of insanity.

The only logical answer to this is the one the advocates would never allow, and that is to fix these kids during that zero-to-five window when his or her future is shaped, and that can happen only if the family itself is fixed. All the present course dictates is that we will be saddled with a permanent underclass that our own shortsightedness helped bring into being.
Old 02-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Pay the teachers all you want................without engaged parents, you ain't gonna have better, more productive, smarter, happier.
Post # 49 says, "the more educated the LESS likely to turn to CRIME. So, THAT is BASICALLY what I said about teachers and education in MY post. Also, I believe that I remember reading somewhere that teachers in Europe get paid MORE than the average US teacher. And, within the US, Florida is close to the bottom in education OUTCOMES. That MAY (?) correlate to Florida being the oldest state. And because many have grown children that live in other states, Fl residents may be LESS willing (and able) to FORK-OVER an increase in property tax to go toward teachers and schools.
.....I need to look up what Norway and Finland pay their teachers.
.........If that correlation between crime and low education is correct, if someone did a cost-benefit analysis, they might find that the cost of crime in Fl exceeds the cost of making IMPROVEMENTS to schools and teacher pay
Closed Thread

Tags
repeat, law, offenders, violent, rationale

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.