San Francisco bans reusable grocery bags

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,048 Times in 2,738 Posts

Great, bring back the dog poop bags that are a bonus with the groceries : )
Old 04-04-2020, 06:14 AM
Default Reusable bags not SFs big problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
San Francisco has now banned reusable grocery bags and has brought back the formerly maligned plastic grocery bags that many thought were a leading cause of our demise. Turns out that the filthy (in many cases) reusable bags were helping to spread the virus and who knows what else.

San Francisco bans reusable bags in coronavirus fight | TheHill

The irony is obvious. Turns out that green is unclean in this instance.

Many other questions arise about the wisdom of some otherwise trendy and “eco-friendly” policies bestowed upon us by the more enlightened in our society. That’s probably best left to separate threads.

In the meantime, I wonder if SF will re-institute the use of reusable bags when the crisis is over?
San Francisco has a MUCH bigger issue. It has been shown that Coronavirus is transferred through human waste and their city is awash in it.from their massive homeless population. They have a staff of folks who.clean it daily, but it is still a massive problem just from the smell. It would be practically impossible to effectively sanitise sidewalks and streets, so the virus could linger for a day or two. Yikes!
Old 04-04-2020, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Crazy place. Don't know why anyone lives there
Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 AM

Thank you. It’s so nice to read a thoughtful reply to a complex situation.

Last edited by Nell57; 04-04-2020 at 06:47 AM. Reason: It was suppose to post under blue ash”s comment. Landed in the wrong place
Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 AM

Lefties??
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 AM

Paper has always been “green”... recyclable, renewable.... and it made great kites and book covers!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

Reusable bags have been around for years and can harbor bacteria if not washed but this virus has just appeared. There is bacteria everywhere and, for the most part, we are resistant anyway, this virus is not bacteria! Canvas bags for shopping are the best. Throw them in the washer to clean. Plastic bag companies would love to take advantage of this opportunity to make money because they have had their business threatened by the use of reusable bags. Do not let people use this as an excuse to USE US.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Reusable bags have been around for years and can harbor bacteria if not washed but this virus has just appeared. There is bacteria everywhere and, for the most part, we are resistant anyway, this virus is not bacteria! Canvas bags for shopping are the best. Throw them in the washer to clean. Plastic bag companies would love to take advantage of this opportunity to make money because they have had their business threatened by the use of reusable bags. Do not let people use this as an excuse to USE US.
How should we wash these for use at our stores here in the Villages?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
How should we wash these for use at our stores here in the Villages?
Found this--

How To Clean Reusable Grocery Bags - Tips for Cleaning Grocery Shopping Bags
Old 04-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Have been to SF and amazingly they keep reelecting their city council.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,177 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdave View Post
San Francisco has a MUCH bigger issue. It has been shown that Coronavirus is transferred through human waste and their city is awash in it.from their massive homeless population. They have a staff of folks who.clean it daily, but it is still a massive problem just from the smell. It would be practically impossible to effectively sanitise sidewalks and streets, so the virus could linger for a day or two. Yikes!
It has not been shown that Coronavirus is transferred through human waste. Your statement as if it were a fact, is a misunderstanding of the established studies. For feces to be infectious requires two things.

1. That there are intact viruses in the feces.
2. That there are sufficient numbers of intact viruses to transmit disease [infectious dose].

It has been shown that stool can be PCR positive for Covid. That is not the same as intact virus. The PCR test looks for pieces of the virus. Thus if a virus were in your throat and you swallowed it and that virus were destroyed by travel through the GI system, the virus itself is "dead" but the PCR could still be positive. In fact that is what may be happening. HERE is a review in Nature, one of the leading science journals. Included is this important information

Quote:
Infectious virus was readily isolated from throat- and lung-derived samples, but not from stool samples, in spite of high virus RNA concentration.
As to #2 [no pun opportunity should be missed] The quantity of virus needed has not been fully established. It is known that some viruses only require a small number of particles to sicken a person while others require a large quantity. Thus even if there are some "live" intact virus in the feces it would need to be shown that the exposure is greater than the threshold for infection.

This is not to say that feces could not be an alternative agent of transmission. Just that your claim is inaccurate.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 AM

You can throw those reusable bags in the washing machine.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Seriously, I was kidding. I shouldn't have joked about that, now the turtle lovers will come after me.
I don't know how I feel about turtles. I know the globe is warming, but right now this is grasping at straws, God forgive me, I didn't aim for it to be a pun. We need to list the things that are most important right now, not in the scheme of things. Now is not the time to argue how to save the planet, I think all reasonable people know we need to. Now is not the time to anger ourselves about how this virus MAY have begun. Now is the time to save our scrawny necks and try to help. It may be the last days of some of our lives. Stay safe all. I am so glad I haven't been put in time out again. I think it is so good to read everyone's thoughts on here, even the ones we don't agree with.. I request that the bad people be let out of time out. There is always a little bit of bad in the best of us and a little bit of good in the worst of us.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
San Francisco has now banned reusable grocery bags and has brought back the formerly maligned plastic grocery bags that many thought were a leading cause of our demise. Turns out that the filthy (in many cases) reusable bags were helping to spread the virus and who knows what else.

Many other questions arise about the wisdom of some otherwise trendy and “eco-friendly” policies bestowed upon us by the more enlightened in our society. That’s probably best left to separate threads.

In the meantime, I wonder if SF will re-institute the use of reusable bags when the crisis is over?
Hopefully, they are once again wearing clothes when they frequent restaurants. Not that I care what happens to SF (or Kalifornika for that matter).
Old 04-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Talking

Quote:

================================================== ===================
I use insulated bags, like Cosco's or Sam's, for fresh meats, ice cream and the like. I ask for paper bags for the rest of the groceries because plastic will let viruses live longer on them than paper.

When I return home, I put all my paper bags in a safe place in the garage...off the floor and leave them there for about 1 day (since any virus will die within that time on paper/cardboard.

My wife disinfects a section of our countertop where I put the rest of the groceries: boxes, cans, glass containers, bagged goods. Then I wipe everything with antiseptic alcohol wipes, and move the groceries one by one to their storage place. The paper bags are trashed immediately. I wash my hands two-four times during this whole thing. The insulated zip bags are opened...usual wiping of each item, and the groceries are put into the fridge. Wife then Lysol's the bag interiors and exteriors. Bags are put back into the car for next food purchase. This journey takes about 1/2 hour, but the psychological relief is deserved and appreciated.
Closed Thread

Tags
bags, reusable, grocery, san, francisco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.