Squatter Solution

Old 03-20-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
It’s just something he felt the need to throw out there to cause a ruckus. The usual baiter looking to start a debate because they were having a boring day or maybe a boring life.
Hmmmm. Just a few of the most recent posts:

Quote:
Thats not a lifestyle visit. How about you just rent your own cart for the day.
Quote:
You’re talking apple and oranges. Squatters vs home invasion. Read the posts closer
Quote:
Well. Then don’t buy a house there. Easy. The complaint is ridiculous
Quote:
Write it down? Obviously you don’t eat out often and are still living in the 20th century.
Quote:
You’re wasting your time watching what other people do? Get a life!
Looks like it's someone else who needs to consider what they throw out there. In life, some people offer topics for discussion, and others offer rude and contemptuous responses in return. I think I know which of those types I will strive to be.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Agree.

It's Big Hat, no cattle.

Guns are not going to help with squatters.
Really? Seems to me it would be very persuasive in getting them to leave. I can say that if I went to my home and there was a squatter I would evict them. The police are too busy to be bothered with such a thing.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I posted it because the squatter issue is a national news story. And, Florida is in the process of creating a new law to deal with squatters. A squatter could show up anywhere and cause a huge problem for a homeowner. The Villages has a lot of snowbirds who could be a prime target for squatters.
This is true - but if you have a good home management company to look after your home, like Empty Nest, they would deal with it immediately. I’m notified even if a person parks on my driveway for a bit. And they would have to break in to enter which would make them burglars.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Most references to squatters mean people who illegally move into and take possession of your home while you are out of town. This should not be tolerated in any way by government/police whose responsibility it is to enforce property rights. It should not need to involve drawn out legal fights.

You can feel sorry for those who did not get a break in life, but they still don't have the right to steal anyone's house.
I always go back to these facts. The Villages are a bubble of rich people that are OLD and surrounded by poor people that WISH they were rich. All the roads are public roads, so you can't keep anyone out. Gate shacks are for looks and to give residents a FALSE sense of security. Every day of the week in every section of this rich bubble there are relatively POOR lawn service people working. If they see a unoccupied home while they are working they JUST MIGHT tell their unemployed cousin with 3 kids about the location of this vacant (maybe just for the summer) home. JUST MIGHT!!!!!!!!
........So, I believe that this thread has reality and merit. And I have seen more unemployable children walking around in the last 3 years than 10 years prior to that.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I can’t quite see the difference between a squatter and a burglar, so the burglar decided to stay… how can that be defined as a tenant? Illegal entry is burglary or home invasion. You come home from the store, or a vacation and as you enter there is a stranger in your house. Who you shoot. How is that not self defense?
It is probably NOT self defense unless they pull a knife or gun on you first. Your best legal action would be to inform the sheriff about the situation and let the PROFESSIONALS take it from there. Plus many people talk about shooting a person, that probably has NEVER shot a rabbit. The average person's hand will start shaking if they ever have to point a gun at a HUMAN BEING. Know your limitations - Socrates said, "know thyself"!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2024, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
It’s just something he felt the need to throw out there to cause a ruckus. The usual baiter looking to start a debate because they were having a boring day or maybe a boring life.
I believe that this is a legitimate problem here in TV Land and all over the US. And - face it - the HAVE-NOTS are streaming over the southern border as we speak.......by the thousands.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
It is probably NOT self defense unless they pull a knife or gun on you first. Your best legal action would be to inform the sheriff about the situation and let the PROFESSIONALS take it from there. Plus many people talk about shooting a person, that probably has NEVER shot a rabbit. The average person's hand will start shaking if they ever have to point a gun at a HUMAN BEING. Know your limitations - Socrates said, "know thyself"!!!!!!
The problem is that, in many squatter situations, the sheriff tells the homeowner that it is not a crime to be a squatter. It is a civil matter and the homeowner needs to pursue the issue in a civil court. So, the sheriff provides no help at all.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,046 Times in 1,757 Posts

Quote:
A stranger is in my home when I walk in, do you think they don’t want to harm me? If they wanted my permission they would have asked me first. They don’t need a weapon to harm me. And I think my actions tend to be a reflex, automatic under danger. Like blinking, it just occurs naturally in the presence of danger. Some people freeze some people react. Generally, I don’t carry but that does not mean that the nearest thing to me can’t be used.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-20-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,289 Posts

Quote:
A stranger is in my home when I walk in, do you think they don’t want to harm me? If they wanted my permission they would have asked me first. They don’t need a weapon to harm me. And I think my actions tend to be a reflex, automatic under danger. Like blinking, it just occurs naturally in the presence of danger. Some people freeze some people react. Generally, I don’t carry but that does not mean that the nearest thing to me can’t be used.
If you are dealing with a competent squatter, you wouldn't be able to walk in because they would have changed the locks.

But, if you execute a legal lease to a squatter hunter, they can hire a locksmith to change the locks, and move in with all the same rights as the squatter. They can bring a large dog (or two) who barks a lot and is not house broken, play loud music 24/7, make a huge mess in the kitchen and bathrooms, and walk around the house with loaded AK-47. I would also think they could remove all the interior doors and put them in storage. This is all legal and will get rid of the squatters much faster than a lawyer and a civil court.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:50 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,070 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
I’m good, I’m a war veteran with a much higher threat to my life’s existence at the time.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 03-20-2024, 02:26 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
Really? Seems to me it would be very persuasive in getting them to leave. I can say that if I went to my home and there was a squatter I would evict them. The police are too busy to be bothered with such a thing.
Yes really.

You may want to read: Just a moment....
Old 03-20-2024, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,575 Times in 3,131 Posts

Quote:
I can’t quite see the difference between a squatter and a burglar, so the burglar decided to stay… how can that be defined as a tenant? Illegal entry is burglary or home invasion. You come home from the store, or a vacation and as you enter there is a stranger in your house. Who you shoot. How is that not self defense?
Some squatters were there legally. At first. Happened to someone I know here. An owner came down with a "friend" who was renting the guest bedroom. Except the friend never paid the rent, and took her golf cart and car out whenever she wanted, and decided she wasn't going to vacate when they had originally agreed. She started becoming aggressive, kicking the owner's dogs, and such. She had a key, because the owner GAVE her a key. But then the tenant changed their legal address to the owner's address, which gave credibility that she was authorized to live there and take permanent possession of the house.

Thankfully that person decided to victimize a nicer house somewhere else in the community, and moved out on their own.

But now - that person is absolutely someone else's problem. And is still pulling this stunt in The Villages. Just in a designer home instead of a double-wide.

Squatters can be invited and welcome tenants. Until they stop paying the rent, and refuse to move out. Then, they are in possession of the keys, they have the right to be there, until you go through the eviction process. Which can take months.

Hiring a "professional squatter hunter" sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you are dealing with a competent squatter, you wouldn't be able to walk in because they would have changed the locks.

But, if you execute a legal lease to a squatter hunter, they can hire a locksmith to change the locks, and move in with all the same rights as the squatter. They can bring a large dog (or two) who barks a lot and is not house broken, play loud music 24/7, make a huge mess in the kitchen and bathrooms, and walk around the house with loaded AK-47. I would also think they could remove all the interior doors and put them in storage. This is all legal and will get rid of the squatters much faster than a lawyer and a civil court.
Question : After all that Charles Bronson tactic, should he, the hunter discharge the AK-47 or have Major the K9 take a bite outta crime on my behalf.....what part and how much of the ACLU suit against me and my estate will I be responsible for?

Asking for a law student
Old 03-20-2024, 03:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Yes really.

You may want to read: Just a moment....
I did not say I would shoot them. Of course if I found myself being threatened upon entering my own home I can't say I wouldn't defend myself. But usually just the mere presence of an armed individual diffuses the situation very quickly.

I was once approached at a gas station by 4 very unsavory looking fellas in Dorchester MA (not the nicest area). Before they were within 15 feet I made it known I was armed with a simple opening of my jacket. The turned around and left.

Edit to add: I would not be in a situation where a squatter was a legit renter first or anything like that. A squatter in my home would have had to broken in and taken up residence while I was up north. So maybe not the same situation as some renter that stopped paying.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post

Edit to add: I would not be in a situation where a squatter was a legit renter first or anything like that. A squatter in my home would have had to broken in and taken up residence while I was up north. So maybe not the same situation as some renter that stopped paying.
That's an intruder (trespasser), not a squatter.

Tags
squatter, house, move, hunter, idea

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.