A Third of Covid Survivors Have Long Haul Symptoms

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2021, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
The study was from the JAMA so it has credibility although the sample size 177 would not be large enough for 6 sigma standard deviation reliability.
Right... And the articles that Lancet had to retract helped their credibility...

Just because a Medical Journal publishes something doesn't mean it's gospel...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-09-2021, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Since none of this is conclusive, I consider the jury still out. I know over a dozen folks that have survived Covid. I know of two that did not. Those two definitely have "brain fog and fatigue." It's permanent.
When did they contract Covid and how do you know "it's permanent"?

My wife lost taste and smell. It lasted about a week...

Me? No short/long term symptoms... Just a slight fever and body ache for 36 hrs...

We both had Covid well over a year ago...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-09-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
When did they contract Covid and how do you know "it's permanent"?

My wife lost taste and smell. It lasted about a week...

Me? No short/long term symptoms... Just a slight fever and body ache for 36 hrs...

We both had Covid well over a year ago...
The 2 w permanent brain fog died. Now, about those hospital administrators and billing clerks diagnosing covid.....?
Old 06-09-2021, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
Why are you rehashing a thread that was closed? The Mods had a reason for it. I think you are just trying to stir the pot again(as always) I'm done arguing about the "vaccine" and the dreaded "covid". It's not getting anyone, especially me, to change their minds.
I didn't get to read most of the thread while it was open. You asked for a link. I gave it to you. Why so upset?

Last edited by coffeebean; 06-09-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I didn't get to read most the thread while it was open. You asked for a link. I gave it to you. Why so upset?
What makes you think I'm "upset"? Far from that ............I'm OK with my life and my decisions of said life, while others seem to always need, strive, ad nauseam, for justification.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
So you decided to break forum rules?

"USERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DIRECT COMMENTS TOWARD ANOTHER USER."

But since you want to play...

Are you familiar with the definition of the word "could"? Or "for a few months"?

Hardly "long haulers"

And finally, getting your info from WebMD is folly, at best... Pretty much every symptom "could be" cancer...
I didn't realize I broke any rules but thank you for informing me. I'm ready to go to the naughty room.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
From the original article that "science daily" took it's info:

While the RCPCH definition of PIMS-TS recognizes the temporal association with COVID-19, it does not require proof of infection or exposure to meet the case definition

So, in other words, we just don't know if there is an association or not
Thanks GE. I always appreciate your knowledge and expertise.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And again, maybe

There is no way to quantify fatigue, brain fog and loss of taste/smell. It is 100% subjective. That doesn't mean it isn't true, it just means we don't know

It's sort of like the guy in a car accident complaining of back pain and can't work. His x-rays, CT and MRI are all negative, the neurologist finds nothing objective, neither does the orthopedist. So now he goes to 2 places----a chiropractor (yuk) and Dan Newlin while he applies for SSDI. He goes to court for disability with testimony from the chiropractor (again yuk), conveniently not presenting the x rays, CTs, MRIs, nor the opinion of the orthopedist or neurologist as evidence. The judge then grants him disability, and the rest of us are supporting him for the rest of his life (or until age 65).
The last one of these I got drawn into I later saw working on the roof of a building hauling 75 pound bundles of shingles up a 20 foot ladder.

So the moral of the story is we still don't know. But from experience, I always look at these cases where there is substantial secondary gain with a jaded eye.
If he's caught, he is brought up on disability fraud and made to pay back every single cent he received for disability.

Happened to someone we know. The guy injured his back. The injury was legit, the back problem was legit. He had surgery, and received disability for years. But someone who knew him, was in the area investigating a different disability case, and saw him - working on his roof.

It got reported, the person we know pleaded no contest, and spent the next 20 years paying back all the disability he wasn't entitled to receive. No jail time since it was the first and only time he'd ever gotten in trouble with the law.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I had COVID (mild symptoms) and I also got the vaccine. I didn't get the vaccine because I was "afraid" of COVID, I got it because I felt all my friends who were vaccinated and never had COVID would be more comfortable with me if I got the vaccine.

Let me also say I had a close family member who died from COVID.

After getting the vaccine, if I thought I could get COVID, be hospitalized, and potentially die from COVID, why would I get the vaccine???

I don't care if people choose not to get the vaccine. It's their choice and their risk. Because I was vaccinated, I don't think an unvaccinated person is of any risk to me.

I don't understand why vaccinated people are so insistent about people getting the vaccine.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
The 2 w permanent brain fog died. Now, about those hospital administrators and billing clerks diagnosing covid.....?
Well, I guess it's permanent for them (sadly)... But it doesn't prove it's permanent for anyone else...

And what about those admins and billing clerks? I supplied a link on that topic...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
I didn't get to read most of the thread while it was open. You asked for a link. I gave it to you. Why so upset?
Closing a thread isn't removing a thread. I just means no one else can post on it...

Feel free to take your time and peruse what was posted (links included)...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-09-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess it's permanent for them (sadly)... But it doesn't prove it's permanent for anyone else...

And what about those admins and billing clerks? I supplied a link on that topic...
Please provide that link again, it is not included in the now closed thread. I'm sincerely interested in understanding why/how you could make such a claim.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Closing a thread isn't removing a thread. I just means no one else can post on it...

Feel free to take your time and peruse what was posted (links included)...
Thanks
Old 06-10-2021, 04:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post

I don't care if people choose not to get the vaccine. It's their choice and their risk. Because I was vaccinated, I don't think an unvaccinated person is of any risk to me.
Yes but another reason to get vaccinated is to help protect those who can not.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:13 AM
Default Fatigued alright

Quote:
This is for you JMintzer. In another thread that was CLOSED, you asked for a link siting the percentage of Covid survivors who develop long haul side effects. Here is an article...........

A Third of COVID Survivors Have Long-Haul Symptoms
I'm fatigued alright - of these seemingly endless inane debates about the vaccine. It used to be don't discuss politics or religion. In The Villages, it expanded to debating electric vs. gas golf carts, and snowbirds. Now it's pro vs. con masks/vaccines. I have yet to find anyone who has changed their minds. So is this not just another exercise in futility, and a waste of spending one's remaining retirement years?
Closed Thread

Tags
long, haul, survivors, covid, article

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.