Thoughts on use of pot.

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
I’ve seen support groups for Pain killer abuse supplied by Pharmaceutical companies
Support groups for Alcohol abuse.
If have not seen a support group for Marijuana abuse.

Yet?
Old 07-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Sage

Don’t really matter, pot heads are going to smoke it regardless, for the few that actually gets some medical benifits they won’t be criminalized now. As baby boomers slowly take over law making I suspect marijuana will be least of fantasy drugs. I see the many forms of cocaine be decriminalized also. After all most upper class on high on something anyway ( somebody buying the billion’s dollars of illegal drugs?) But only the poor will suffer with their bad habits. Look who’s in jail for illegal drug abuse? Rich man get good lawyer gets off, poor man goes to jail.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down You May Not Like These Facts

These are facts that users cannot deny nor dismiss.
- It is a mind altering drug
- A lot of users try to compare it to liquor in order to justify usage
- It is a gate way drug in which 10-20% of users move on to the other drugs.
- It has terrible effects on brain of person's under age of 18
- It is against the law to use or have unless:
with a Doctor's prescription
- Regardless of age, long term use effects drive, ambition, brain, etc.
- It is illegal to grow without a Gov. license
- It can and does impact family relationships
- It encourages children to try and it harms them (see above)
- It can and does put some parents in jail thereby neglecting children
- Users usually encourage others, including children to use by omitting the harmful effects
- AA and Narco meetings are filled with those who started on Pot
- It can and possibly lead to lung cancer or bladder cancer which are the results
of smoking regardless this or other forms of smoking
- Go ahead you fill in the rest of why not!

As you can see these are facts and end up with why does anyone thinks it is a good ides to start on Pot or if you are a "user" try to convince others it is harmless. It is sad there are those who can't handle life without drugging their mind. And yes you are an addict so to point out the addicts who over drink, use coke or meth, etc. etc. just keep in mind
the pot smoker is just another addict.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
- Users usually encourage others, including children to use by omitting the harmful effects
- It can and possibly lead to lung cancer or bladder cancer which are the results

As you can see these are facts and end up with why does anyone thinks it is a good ides to start on Pot or if you are a "user" try to convince others it is harmless. It is sad there are those who can't handle life without drugging their mind. And yes you are an addict so to point out the addicts who over drink, use coke or meth, etc. etc. just keep in mind
Hmm, sorry but I disagree, most of those are not facts.

Hmm.

It is a mind-altering drug - uh, yes, which is the point of pointing out that there are many mind-altering drugs that are legal, and so, people question what is MJ illegal if those other drugs are legal.

It is NOT to justify the usage, it is to show the hypocrisy of sucking down a couple of Manhattans and killing a family out riding in their golf cart by drunk driving home. But then being totally against someone smoking a joint in their own house and pigging out on pizza.

It is not a gateway drug, it has been shown that those that move on to hard drugs, started on MJ because it was easier to obtain and it introduced them to the shady pusher who gets them hooked on the hard stuff. Those that do progress to hard drugs almost always have other issues that lead to it.

You could just as easily say that Aspirin is a gateway drug, that leads to prescription opioids.

Effects on the brain - again, the hypocrisy here is the problem. We are okay with thousands of deaths and brain damage from Alcohol, but MJ has to be illegal even though there are no deaths from MJ overdose and the brain damage is significantly less than that caused by the beers and vodka the kids are drinking.

Yes, it IS against the law, which is the point of this thread, we are discussing why and if it should be legalized. Saying it is against the law is a reason to not legalize it is kind of "interesting".

'It can and does impact family relationships " - hmm, even hear of mean drunks? Ever hear - I am sorry darling, I only slept with them because I was drunk.

That is enough - you get the idea.

Seriously, if you look over your list of negatives, it is a testimony to making alcohol illegal, since in every item you list, alcohol is worse, and yet still legal.

Are you in favor of the prohibition of Alcohol? If not, why not?

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 07-19-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
As baby boomers slowly take over law making I suspect marijuana will be least of fantasy drugs. I see the many forms of cocaine be decriminalized also.

Look who’s in jail for illegal drug abuse? Rich man get good lawyer gets off, poor man goes to jail.
Fantasy drugs? What are you talking about??

You see "the many forms of cocaine be(ing) decriminalized"? What are these "many forms" you are referring to?

There's no denying that those that can afford good legal representation get lighter sentences than those that cannot, and that historically, people of color who were charged with the possession (most often) for the "crack" form of cocaine, received much harsher / lengthier prison sentences than white / caucasian defendants who most often were charged with possession of "powder" cocaine.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Hmm, sorry but I disagree, most of those are not facts.

Hmm.

It is a mind-altering drug - uh, yes, which is the point of pointing out that there are many mind-altering drugs that are legal, and so, people question what is MJ illegal if those other drugs are legal.

It is NOT to justify the usage, it is to show the hypocrisy of sucking down a couple of Manhattans and killing a family out riding in their golf cart by drunk driving home. But then being totally against someone smoking a joint in their own house and pigging out on pizza.

It is not a gateway drug, it has been shown that those that move on to hard drugs, started on MJ because it was easier to obtain and it introduced them to the shady pusher who gets them hooked on the hard stuff. Those that do progress to hard drugs almost always have other issues that lead to it.

You could just as easily say that Aspirin is a gateway drug, that leads to prescription opioids.

Effects on the brain - again, the hypocrisy here is the problem. We are okay with thousands of deaths and brain damage from Alcohol, but MJ has to be illegal even though there are no deaths from MJ overdose and the brain damage is significantly less than that caused by the beers and vodka the kids are drinking.

Yes, it IS against the law, which is the point of this thread, we are discussing why and if it should be legalized. Saying it is against the law is a reason to not legalize it is kind of "interesting".

'It can and does impact family relationships " - hmm, even hear of mean drunks? Ever hear - I am sorry darling, I only slept with them because I was drunk.

That is enough - you get the idea.

Seriously, if you look over your list of negatives, it is a testimony to making alcohol illegal, since in every item you list, alcohol is worse, and yet still legal.

Are you in favor of the prohibition of Alcohol? If not, why not?
Excellent retort. I find those who are against marijuana either never used it, or simply don't like the idea of other people being free to enjoy their choice to wind down, plus they put out fake info and call them facts.

By the way, I never had a good night's sleep after drinking alcohol (beer or wine - never drank the hard stuff), but after ingesting a marijuana brownie, cookie or gummy, I sleep very soundly through the entire night.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Excellent retort. I find those who are against marijuana either never used it, or simply don't like the idea of other people being free to enjoy their choice to wind down, plus they put out fake info and call them facts.

By the way, I never had a good night's sleep after drinking alcohol (beer or wine - never drank the hard stuff), but after ingesting a marijuana brownie, cookie or gummy, I sleep very soundly through the entire night.
Yeah, alcohol always left me exhausted after a nights sleep. I use THC tincture for my hands during the day, but very little it puts me to sleep if I take too much. And chocolate edibles at night. Where I usually slept 4 or 5 hours for the past decade, I can now sleep 7 to 8 hours and wake up rested. About $1.00 per night is very affordable, no waking up feeling sluggish. Good stuff, for me.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:

OK Boomer....
Old 07-20-2021, 11:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:

I couldn’t have said it better!
Old 07-20-2021, 04:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Comparing

Ask any person that is involved in treating drug addictions and they will tell you that an
addicts defense for using is to direct the conversation to a comparing pot to alcohol. Rather then admitting to the impact Pot has on ones life they try to justify it as it is not as bad as alcohol. A simple reality check is that pot can cause you to go to jail, it has significant impact on a young persons brain, buying it takes away money that can be used to better the family and child's life, etc etc. The previous chart is accurate regarding the many harms that Pot can bring to a person's life. To say it is incorrect is just another attempt as a minimum to continue to abuse your family and yourself by escaping the real world.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
A simple reality check is that pot can cause you to go to jail
Uh, wow, just wow...

We are discussing if pot should be legalized. POT does not cause you to go to jail. That would be the government saying it is illegal.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

"A simple reality check is that pot can cause you to go to jail."

Umm, I think that is the whole premise of this thread. The real question is, should people go to jail for using or possession of pot? I'm in the camp that thinks we need to sharply increase the consequences of a DUI, any DUI, including even prescribed drugs that warn of impairment, pot (if it can be proved that they're actually "under the influence" and not just in the system from a few days ago), painkillers, etc., whereby the first conviction is $5,000 and a mandatory 3 months in jail. No passing go, no community service and no exceptions.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post

Umm, I think that is the whole premise of this thread. The real question is, should people go to jail for using or possession of pot? I'm in the camp that thinks we need to sharply increase the consequences of a DUI, any DUI, including even prescribed drugs that warn of impairment, pot (if it can be proved that they're actually "under the influence" and not just in the system from a few days ago), painkillers, etc., whereby the first conviction is $5,000 and a mandatory 3 months in jail. No passing go, no community service and no exceptions.
Well they could always send them to pot rehab.

oh wait...

there's no such thing.

Why's that? Maybe because - there's no need for it.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post

I will go a step further, if I person causes an accident while intoxicated (any substance) that results in a death, the very least charge would be 2nd-degree murder. Personally, I think they knowingly got drunk and then drive, so I would not oppose 1st-degree murder.

There need to be consequences for bad decisions leading to bad results.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyD View Post
Fantasy drugs? What are you talking about??

You see "the many forms of cocaine be(ing) decriminalized"? What are these "many forms" you are referring to?

There's no denying that those that can afford good legal representation get lighter sentences than those that cannot, and that historically, people of color who were charged with the possession (most often) for the "crack" form of cocaine, received much harsher / lengthier prison sentences than white / caucasian defendants who most often were charged with possession of "powder" cocaine.
Yes, let’s make it racial. Druggies have no racial boundaries.

Like I said money talks and poor goes to jail.

Coming in the near future.
Closed Thread

Tags
thoughts, pot, read, 75%, americans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.