Today's experience with Lenhart Electric

Old 02-01-2024, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,834 Times in 5,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
123, as I read it......OP called to schedule and was told the new price during the "called to schedule" call.

when I called them to schedule the installation -- about 15 minutes after the guy left -- was told by a "supervisor" that the quoted price was wrong
So, if the OP called to schedule the job, how did the guy know to leave 15 minutes before the scheduling call was made? It is just not clear as to where and when "the guy left". If the company raised the price by $200 when I called to schedule, I probably would have cancelled the project, regardless of when the guy left the office. Obviously, the OP is not a satisfied customer. But, if the quote was changed before the work was performed, he could have just cancelled the project. Who cares when the guy left the office?
Old 02-01-2024, 08:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,854 Times in 3,689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, if the OP called to schedule the job, how did the guy know to leave 15 minutes before the scheduling call was made? It is just not clear as to where and when "the guy left". If the company raised the price by $200 when I called to schedule, I probably would have cancelled the project, regardless of when the guy left the office. Obviously, the OP is not a satisfied customer. But, if the quote was changed before the work was performed, he could have just cancelled the project. Who cares when the guy left the office?

Love It.

I take it as..............the Tech came gave a quote.
The Tech left.
Within 15 minutes of Tech leaving (the house after quote issuance) the price changed by the Superv.
All before any work was performed.

But that's my take.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,095 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps:
- Customer asked for an estimate
- Representative came to customer's home
- $700 estimate provided
- Representative left
- 15 minutes passed
- Customer called to schedule installation based on $700 estimate
- Supervisor states that estimate was wrong and correct quote is $900

If so, then the work has not been done and the customer likely will not be using Lenhart. The 15 minutes is significant because that seems like an awfully short period of time for the estimate to have changed.

Kudos to the company for updating the estimate before performing the work and charging the customer more than he expected to pay.

On the positive side, now the customer will get additional estimates. It's possible he will find that $900 is not out of line.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-01-2024, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Perhaps:
- $700 estimate provided
- Representative left
- 15 minutes passed

If so, then the work has not been done and the customer likely will not be using Lenhart. The 15 minutes is significant because that seems like an awfully short period of time for the estimate to have changed.

Kudos to the company for updating the estimate before performing the work and charging the customer more than he expected to pay.

On the positive side, now the customer will get additional estimates. It's possible he will find that $900 is not out of line.
Seemed simple enough to understand for me as well.

And, not knowing how far from the panel the OP wanted the outlet located, there could be several reasons why the initial estimate changed.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,834 Times in 5,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Perhaps:
- $700 estimate provided
- Representative left
- 15 minutes passed

You could be correct. If so, the OP is being unreasonable. A quote is just a quote until it is accepted, and 15 minutes is not an unreasonable amount of time to revise the quote. I assumed that the work had been completed and the OP was being asked to pay an additional $200 above the quoted price.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:49 PM
Sage

That was pretty much my take. The original estimate may not have correctly considered the location of the receptacle. I have gotten a couple of quotes for a NEMA 14-50 (240 volt, 50 amp) receptacle in my garage. The price will vary considerably based on where you want it installed. If you want it installed next to the breaker panel (easier, very little 6 AWG wire involved) then the cost is much lower than if you want it on the opposite side of the garage (more difficult and more 6 AWG wire involved). The issues are the labor involved in fishing the wire through walls and the attic and the fact that 6 AWG wire is expensive (if you want it installed anywhere other than right next to the breaker panel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Seemed simple enough to understand for me as well.

And, not knowing how far from the panel the OP wanted the outlet located, there could be several reasons why the initial estimate changed.

Last edited by biker1; 02-01-2024 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,349 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzper View Post
Had Lenhart come out to give me a quote on installing a 50 amp outlet in my garage. Was quoted $700 and when I called them to schedule the installation -- about 15 minutes after the guy left -- was told by a "supervisor" that the quoted price was wrong and the actual price would be $900!!
Is this ambiguous?

He got a quote for $700 and he then called to schedule the installation which was 15 minutes after the guy who gave him the quote left. When he called the office, they said it was $900 - not $700.

He didn’t use them.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,203 Times in 5,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Is this ambiguous?

He got a quote for $700 and he then called to schedule the installation which was 15 minutes after the guy who gave him the quote left. When he called the office, they said it was $900 - not $700.

He didn’t use them.
Think the OP for coming on here and badmouthing the company is wrong.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,182 Times in 835 Posts

I don't understand the vitriol being aimed at the OP. The "guy" was a professional estimator hired and sent out by Lenhart. If he said $700 and the actual estimate should have been $900 then he was poorly trained or lowballing his own company or bait and switch.

Nothing changed in the work being requested if the OP is telling it straight.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:28 PM
Default Or?

2 possible conspiracy theories:

1) Pikes Electric is the OP
2) Guy that gave original quote forgot to add THE $200
VILLAGES UPCHARGE!!!
Old 02-02-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
The original post is not clear about whether the quote was changed before or after the work was completed. Maybe the OP can clarify that point? If the quote was changed before the work was done, then the OP could have cancelled the job. Apparently, the quote was changed 15 minutes after the guy left? Left from where? I assumed the OP meant the guy had finished the job and left the OP's house. Very confusing.
Why would he be calling to schedule if the work had already been done?
Old 02-02-2024, 05:35 AM

I have read the original post, and I think the extra $200 was to remove the racoon nest and family from the attic.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

I had galaxy put in a 220v line/circuit breaker/dryer plug in for my electric dryer, $250. A year later, I had more electrical work done and pikes was $400 more than the quote from galaxy, galaxy did the work.
Galaxy did great work, and while they were out here on the 1st job, I had them change the wiring on 4 fan switches, and install a variable fan speed/fan light switch, and they charged me $20 or $25 per switch.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:27 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,568 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
If there was a reason, the customer should have been told before the work was done. It sounds like they just made a wrong quote, in which case, they should have honored their original quote.
They did adjust the quote before the work was done and on,y 15 minutes after the quote was given. No reason for them to honor a misquote in that short span of time if they don’t want to. What was the reason they gave? Seems there’s more to this story
Old 02-02-2024, 07:21 AM

Looks like the OP just wanted to dump his complaint and is not intending to come back to clarify. I wouldn't waste my time in giving a response to that.

Tags
lenhart, dealing, quoted, price, actual

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.