Pre-existing Conditions

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,893 Times in 5,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Sure....

1. I expressed a "WOW" due to the language as if folks were always looking for free, and that is totally not true. I am not, but have an avid interest in whether pre existing conditions will be covered as our government on one had says yes but in June took action to the Supreme court to disallow.

2. The assumption that people are always looking for free is not true and the implication that the many who got coverage from ACA for pre existing are "takers" or whatever term you might use is.....well, can't think of a nice word. Your direct implication that people blame others all the time is not valid.

These are simple generalizations that simply do not stand up.

3. We were told before the election and many times since that there was going to be a “terrific,” “phenomenal” and “fantastic” plan unveiled. Now after all these years we are told "it is ready". We shall see how the balance between actions to derail pre existing conditions as high as the Supreme Court versus promises to keep in this yet unseen plan works out. Many candidates are struggling mightily with this exact issue.

4. As you well know, I adamantly was opposed to the ACA when it passed, and still find fault with much of it, but never the pre existing condition part. It is not right for our government to hold this over peoples head and to have people say those who approve of that act are looking for "handouts". Some are blessed with the ability to buy or self insure......most are not.

Vast majority of Americans do not have company plan, are unable to "self insure" and want to cover their family. My objection with the passed ACA was the lack of involvement by all parties and we are now faced with the same situation but worse because of the timing. COVID is a new ingredient that needs exploring but publicly and not in what appears to be false promises for the last few years
Regarding your Item No. 1, the last time I checked, the Supreme Court is part of "our Government".

So, what is wrong with the Supreme Court deciding if the ACA is constitutional?
Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,228 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It isn't that people are uncaring. Somebody has to pay for all medical procedures. It is based on graphs and numerical formulas. Insurance is based on paying in and paying out and has to have money "in" to pay "out". It isn't about the haves or have nots and has nothing really to do with our moral responsibility. It is numbers.

You cannot get blood out of a turnip. You know that. You are from Ohio.

Using software that computes a predetermined algorithm, insurance underwriters gauge the risk that you may file a claim against your policy. These algorithms are based on key indicators about you and then measured against a data set to weigh risk.

United Healthcare (UNH) is at close to its 52-week high right now. The 52 week range is $187.72–$324.57. That means about a 34% increase in the past 52 weeks.

Healthcare stocks took a little hit at the beginning of Covid but have bounced way back. (Of course, maybe the execs are doing stock buybacks with their corporate tax break money. Companies have spent trillions of their tax break dollars buying back their own stock.

Unrestrained greed is bad economics.

Insurance companies sure seem happy lately and I do not think it is because they are losing money — or think they are going to.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-16-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:18 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Wait! I thought there was a possibility that we could be getting government healthcare where everything will be covered - no?

Old 09-16-2020, 06:31 PM
John41

If the country expels all the illegal aliens, builds the wall and restricts immigration as Canada does to immigrants who will benefit Canada then there should be free basic health insurance to all Americans who respect the flag and our laws. No pre existing conditions. This would be like the hurricane insurance pool for those who can not get hurricane insurance. The ACA was a flop for the middle class. Contrary to those who say there is no free lunch, keeping Americans healthy and productive is better and cheaper than go to emergency rooms for a condition that could have been treated preventatively. And unless the country is at full employment there will be no inflation penalty. For those who come to this country and then bad mouth it they get a one way ticket back to where they came from.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
If the country expels all the illegal aliens, builds the wall and restricts immigration as Canada does to immigrants who will benefit Canada then there should be free basic health insurance to all Americans who respect the flag and our laws. No pre existing conditions. This would be like the hurricane insurance pool for those who can not get hurricane insurance. The ACA was a flop for the middle class. Contrary to those who say there is no free lunch, keeping Americans healthy and productive is better and cheaper than go to emergency rooms for a condition that could have been treated preventatively. And unless the country is at full employment there will be no inflation penalty. For those who come to this country and then bad mouth it they get a one way ticket back to where they came from.
The ACA specifically prevents non-lawfully present immigrants from enrolling in coverage through the exchanges [section 1312(f)(3)]. And they are also not eligible for Medicaid under federal guidelines. So the two major cornerstones of coverage expansion under the ACA are not available to undocumented immigrants.

But keep saying it, if you are pleased

An updated KFF analysis estimates that almost 54 million people – or 27% of all adults under 65 —have pre-existing health conditions that would likely have made them uninsurable in the individual markets that existed in most states before the Affordable Care Act.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:28 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
The ACA specifically prevents non-lawfully present immigrants from enrolling in coverage through the exchanges [section 1312(f)(3)]. And they are also not eligible for Medicaid under federal guidelines. So the two major cornerstones of coverage expansion under the ACA are not available to undocumented immigrants.

But keep saying it, if you are pleased

An updated KFF analysis estimates that almost 54 million people – or 27% of all adults under 65 —have pre-existing health conditions that would likely have made them uninsurable in the individual markets that existed in most states before the Affordable Care Act.
Please read what I said. I propose FREE basic health insurance for ALL AMERICANS. The ACA insurance is not free unless you have very low income. ACA pre existing condition exclusion was only worthwhile if you could find affordable insurance which many middle income Americans could not, and the exchanges were failing. My proposal is more inclusive than ACA thus the requirement for American citizenship.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,241 Times in 2,820 Posts

For a very long time insurance companies have not been allowed to use pre-existing conditions to CANCEL insurance for anyone with continuous insurance coverage. The issue is can people opt to not have insurance, saving big $$$$, and then suddenly decide to sign up for insurance when they find out they have a condition that could cost them lots of money. As long as they can not CANCEL already in-force policies when someone unfortunately gets diagnosed with a serious health condition, I do not see an issue. Otherwise, most younger healthy people would not bother to pay for insurance until they need it. That would seriously change the pricing of insurance for responsible people who always carry health insurance.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,893 Times in 5,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Please read what I said. I propose FREE basic health insurance for ALL AMERICANS. The ACA insurance is not free unless you have very low income. ACA pre existing condition exclusion was only worthwhile if you could find affordable insurance which many middle income Americans could not, and the exchanges were failing. My proposal is more inclusive than ACA thus the requirement for American citizenship.
I agree with deporting illegal aliens. But, until you do, they will be getting free health care one way or another. It's nice to say that they are not eligible for the ACA or Medicaid, but those who cannot afford it will get it at taxpayer expense anyway.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,654 Times in 3,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It isn't that people are uncaring. Somebody has to pay for all medical procedures. It is based on graphs and numerical formulas. Insurance is based on paying in and paying out and has to have money "in" to pay "out". It isn't about the haves or have nots and has nothing really to do with our moral responsibility. It is numbers.

You cannot get blood out of a turnip. You know that. You are from Ohio.

Using software that computes a predetermined algorithm, insurance underwriters gauge the risk that you may file a claim against your policy. These algorithms are based on key indicators about you and then measured against a data set to weigh risk.
All of the people who pay for insurance and end up NOT needing it - are paying for all the people who pay for it and DO need it. You might not understand how insurance works. But that's basically how it works. The more people who can buy into it, the more money is available to pay for those who actually end up making use of it.

That is true in ALL insurance, not just health insurance. It's also true in car insurance, life insurance, property insurance.

It's a gamble. YOu are betting that you will need to cash in. The insurance company is betting that you won't need to cash in. The insurance company is the "house." The "house" is betting the odds. You are betting against them.

Pre-existing conditions means - if you ever broke a bone in school, and you have arthritis now, then your insurance company will tell you that all those premiums you've paid for years and years, all your Medicare Part Whatever - don't amount to a hill of beans. You are NOT covered, because you have a pre-existing condition, and your current diagnosis is a result of that pre-existing condition. If you hadn't broken your bone, then you wouldn't have been at risk of getting arthritis. Suck it up buttercup, you want treatment it'll cost you $40,000, full price, no discounts, no coverage. You want surgery, you're looking at over $100,000. Payable in full in 30 days.

That's what pre-existing condition coverage is all about. If you ever had a cold sore - well that's herpes. So if you end up with cervical cancer, you're out of luck. Pay in full. Herpes is the #1 cause of cervical cancer. Never mind that in your case, it isn't what caused it. They have the right not to cover it, because you had that condition.

But hey you're gonna live forever right Gracie? or maybe you'll die in your sleep, 100% healthy, without anyone having to pay the hospital bill because you've never had any medical problem ever in your entire life. Including the medical pre-existing condition of giving birth. Or going through menopause. Those are pre-existing medical conditions too. You want any possible future medical problem to be refused coverage, and have to pay 100% of the full price because the insurance company has chosen not to cover pre-existing conditions? You got it. Good luck to ya.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
(Please pay attention. Pre-existing conditions are on the chopping block, now with Covid as an additional bonus possible for insurance companies.)

It is highly possible, that in the near future, insurance companies -- again -- will be allowed to use pre-existing conditions as their right to deny coverage.

If insurance companies are awarded the unconscionable power to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, it is not a big leap of the imagination to think that having had Covid 19 could be termed a pre-existing condition.

Why do I think that could happen? — because we do not understand where this virus can take us. But we do know that Covid 19 can sometimes leave very serious, and possibly chronic, health problems in its wake — even after supposed recovery.

I realize that most Villagers are comfortably swaddled in Medicare or good coverage from military retirement or previous employers. But, even so, in this time of overwhelming distraction, it is important to stay informed of what is playing out behind the front-and-center chaos.

Gen X and Millennials and younger boomers who get the virus and recover could find themselves saddled with a pre-existing condition — forever— just for having had the virus — even though nothing else has shown up — yet — after recovery.

Maybe I am overthinking this. Gee, could insurance companies ever even consider reaching into such a pot of gold as Covid recovery as an excuse to deny coverage.

No matter where your loyalties lie, no matter whether you have any younger people in your life to love, please pay attention, stay informed — from a variety of sources.

The ultimate decision to protect or to take away the individual’s right to not be denied health insurance coverage due to a pre-existing condition is in the works — with powerful support to take away that right.

Be careful what you wish (wished?) for.

Cassandra Boomer
Why do you think that? What are you reading that makes you think this could happen? Is this something coming out of the mouths of someone who could make this happen? (Can you show a video where they are saying this?) Or give a site that is stating the viewpoint of someone?
I don't know of anyone in power on both sides of the aisle who have said they would repeal pre-existing conditions. So I am curious why you feel this way.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Why do you think that? What are you reading that makes you think this could happen? Is this something coming out of the mouths of someone who could make this happen? (Can you show a video where they are saying this?) Or give a site that is stating the viewpoint of someone?
I don't know of anyone in power on both sides of the aisle who have said they would repeal pre-existing conditions. So I am curious why you feel this way.
The case that will be argued before the supreme court a week after the election is to have the aca declared unconstitutional, the current administration is arguing that side. The aca is what provided for preexisting conditions protections. No plan is known exactly how this will be protected if aca is repealed.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:01 AM
Platinum member
Default Therapy fee.

Please everyone dont be distracted by individual concerns about health issues. The real issue is the communist anarchists trying to destroy this country from within. They are not providing alternative soultions to problems. They are destroying the social fabric of this country by attacking its citizenry and police. They are terrorists being given cover by cowardly leaders. Of an unrecognizsble party that no longer has a voice for most of its members. Their mission is to bring their hate to your front door. Wake up please. Session over
Old 09-17-2020, 05:27 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
(Please pay attention. Pre-existing conditions are on the chopping block, now with Covid as an additional bonus possible for insurance companies.)

It is highly possible, that in the near future, insurance companies -- again -- will be allowed to use pre-existing conditions as their right to deny coverage.

If insurance companies are awarded the unconscionable power to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions, it is not a big leap of the imagination to think that having had Covid 19 could be termed a pre-existing condition.

Why do I think that could happen? — because we do not understand where this virus can take us. But we do know that Covid 19 can sometimes leave very serious, and possibly chronic, health problems in its wake — even after supposed recovery.

I realize that most Villagers are comfortably swaddled in Medicare or good coverage from military retirement or previous employers. But, even so, in this time of overwhelming distraction, it is important to stay informed of what is playing out behind the front-and-center chaos.

Gen X and Millennials and younger boomers who get the virus and recover could find themselves saddled with a pre-existing condition — forever— just for having had the virus — even though nothing else has shown up — yet — after recovery.

Maybe I am overthinking this. Gee, could insurance companies ever even consider reaching into such a pot of gold as Covid recovery as an excuse to deny coverage.

No matter where your loyalties lie, no matter whether you have any younger people in your life to love, please pay attention, stay informed — from a variety of sources.

The ultimate decision to protect or to take away the individual’s right to not be denied health insurance coverage due to a pre-existing condition is in the works — with powerful support to take away that right.

Be careful what you wish (wished?) for.

Cassandra Boomer
Absolutely wrong. If anything there’s a bigger push right now to be sure that pre-existing conditions are covered than the other way around. Don’t know where you’re getting your information?
Old 09-17-2020, 05:30 AM
Veteran member

Debt is not increasing exponentially. Learn what the term means please.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:31 AM
Veteran member
Default This is fake news

Fake news .
Closed Thread

Tags
pre-existing, coverage, insurance, companies, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.