Time to get out of stocks?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Europe is everyone's concern at this time. They have more debt than we do with no chance of ever paying it down. Both countries just kicking the can down the road. This is what will be the next market killer.
I don't understand how some country's small economies have such an effect on our very large economy? I guess that's why I use a financial advisor.

I agree what goes on in other parts of the world sometimes affect out market values adversely.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
>>If the S&P falls by 10% (last 60 day high) I will move 25% of stocks to cash. Falls 20% I will move 50% to cash. I will buy again when it rises by 10% from last 60 day low and again when it rises by 20% from the low. <<

This is a form of market timing. These rules are an algorithm for what is referred to as mechanical timing.
I agree it is a mechanical timing but rarely executed. Think 2008. I hit the 10% once in 2011, but it happened fast and recovered above it before I sold. I put this in place in about 2002. So far 2008 is the only time I had to implement it. Did both in 2008, the 25% and 50% move from equities to cash. Kept 50% of the equities in place through it all. However also bought back in based on the 10% and 20% rise so was totally recovered by the end of 2009 where most people it took until mid 2012. It works only as a safe guard against huge negative swings in the market. Look at it as a stop loss order on stocks that I self manage using index mutual funds. It is a small part of a total investment strategy where I will sustain only a 15% portfolio loss of income with up to a 50% market decline. I also have a pre-defined bond strategy based on interest rates, but a little harder to explain.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I don't understand how some country's small economies have such an effect on our very large economy? I guess that's why I use a financial advisor.

I agree what goes on in other parts of the world sometimes affect out market values adversely.
There are many reasons, but one that should be fairly easy to understand is the failure of a smaller economy in Europe effects the banking system in many different ways and would most likely lead to the failure of some banks which would lead to the failure of more banks which continues to snowball until you have a meltdown. Think of the old weak link in a chain
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
There are many reasons, but one that should be fairly easy to understand is the failure of a smaller economy in Europe effects the banking system in many different ways and would most likely lead to the failure of some banks which would lead to the failure of more banks which continues to snowball until you have a meltdown. Think of the old weak link in a chain
Thank you.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I agree it is a mechanical timing but rarely executed. Think 2008. I hit the 10% once in 2011, but it happened fast and recovered above it before I sold. I put this in place in about 2002. So far 2008 is the only time I had to implement it. Did both in 2008, the 25% and 50% move from equities to cash. Kept 50% of the equities in place through it all. However also bought back in based on the 10% and 20% rise so was totally recovered by the end of 2009 where most people it took until mid 2012. It works only as a safe guard against huge negative swings in the market. Look at it as a stop loss order on stocks that I self manage using index mutual funds. It is a small part of a total investment strategy where I will sustain only a 15% portfolio loss of income with up to a 50% market decline. I also have a pre-defined bond strategy based on interest rates, but a little harder to explain.
Makes sense, thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM

Until someone tells me where to better invest - the market is still the best place, depending, of course, how long you want to ride it. Bottom line - diversify diversify!!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
mcgols

No . Nobody can time the markets there will be ups and downs that is why on average in the long term investors should be able to achieve higher returns investing in GICs or bank deposits. My advice is if you are conservative go 30 to 40% good quality dividend stocks and the balance in short term (<5years) bonds. Don't be trying to time the market. Buy right and sit back.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgols View Post
No . Nobody can time the markets there will be ups and downs that is why on average in the long term investors should be able to achieve higher returns investing in GICs or bank deposits. My advice is if you are conservative go 30 to 40% good quality dividend stocks and the balance in short term (<5years) bonds. Don't be trying to time the market. Buy right and sit back.
That's funny. GICs are fixed return insurance vehicles. The insurance company takes your money, gives you a fixed return, pays its employees from the returns on your money they made through market timing.

It's funny to hear people say no one can time the market and in the next breath say most timers can't beat an index.

Since the premise that "most" can't implies that some can, so then timers "can" beat the market.

The OP says no one can time the market and in the next breath lays out a timing scheme??????

Anyone who says you can't time the market, has retired to the "average" lounge.

If everyone makes the average, no one in that group has improved their standing.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

Count me out!! The ONLY reason the stock market is doing well lately is the dollar is so devalued. Over 16 TRILLON IN DEBT and climbing does not have me confident.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Sage
Smile

My crystal ball says that the market will take a rest or have a correction and then resume with a summer rally. I would like to see 15,000 on the Dow by year end. The bottom line: Stocks are still a good buy.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,333 Times in 554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
My crystal ball says that the market will take a rest or have a correction and then resume with a summer rally. I would like to see 15,000 on the Dow by year end. The bottom line: Stocks are still a good buy.
Reasonable call.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Absolutely no disrespect intended but your post made me smile. You sound like my broker and attorney. The market "will take a rest or have a correction"
So:

"take a rest":...to me that means do nothing or stay put??????

" have a correction" to me that means the market could go up or down..which ever way the correction is needed????

So what am I to glean from this profound prediction..?????

Hope this made you smile too???
Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Gold member

Correction implies a rather sudden reversion to the mean, so it would be down from here.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 AM

There are 2 sides to every coin. That's what makes the market of buyers and sellers. Both of the below are very smart and have different reads on the market.

For the positive side to the coin, read James Paulsen at Wells Capital Mgt.

Wells Capital Management

For the negative side of the coin (very sober read), read John P. Hussman, Ph.D.

Hussman Funds - Weekly Market Comment: The Siren's Song of the Unfinished Half-Cycle - February 18, 2013

Good luck to all. It is best to have a proper asset allocation for your risk tolerance rather than to "bet" on the short term direction of the market. Focus on asset classes, not just dividend paying stocks.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclip202 View Post
There are 2 sides to every coin. That's what makes the market of buyers and sellers. Both of the below are very smart and have different reads on the market.

For the positive side to the coin, read James Paulsen at Wells Capital Mgt.

Wells Capital Management

For the negative side of the coin (very sober read), read John P. Hussman, Ph.D.

Hussman Funds - Weekly Market Comment: The Siren's Song of the Unfinished Half-Cycle - February 18, 2013

Good luck to all. It is best to have a proper asset allocation for your risk tolerance rather than to "bet" on the short term direction of the market. Focus on asset classes, not just dividend paying stocks.
I use options and that way I can hedge my bet and cover my positions and win if the market goes up or if the market goes down. Since the value of the options change on a daily basis sometimes I will buy or sell and win daily on my hedges no matter what the overall market is doing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.