Gas so $$$

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2022, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,318 Times in 4,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Agree 100%. We have an induction cook top and pot of water is boiling in 90 seconds and no residual heat.
I'm sure they're great and we will consider on when the time comes to re-do the kitchen, but OBB's suggestion of "just buy one" smacks of the elitism we hear when we're told, "Can't afford gas prices, just buy nan electric car!"

As if those who can't afford gasoline can afford a new car... Or a VERY expensive cooktop...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Not to be argumentative, BUT today we already have more fuel efficient vehicles than we did 30-40 years ago. It's interesting how someone can rationalize.....but, but, but hybrids only use fossil part of the time.
I have decided to get a battery operated vehicle and install a gas generator in it so that I can go further. Of course, I am only going to use a "little" fossil fuel, therefore I am doing my thing in support of the tree huggers.....
Hug a tree or hug your wallet, we have more efficient vehicles because people want them,, they make sense from more than one perspective, I would like to replace my old but so far reliable Honda with a hybrid of some sort posible an electric, many factors to consider, everyone weighs things differently
Old 03-16-2022, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,318 Times in 4,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
There are more than 9000 open permits in the USA approved to drill oil but oil companies are not using them, why ?
9000 "LEASES", not permits... BIG difference... But a good obfuscation...

They still have to apply for the permits, they still have to be allowed to build roads, and pipelines to move the oil that will be pumped...

THAT is where the holdup is. The current admin won't allow new pipelines, nor approve new permits to drill...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-16-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Sorry for the cuss word.
I feel ya, just moved down less than 2 months ago and have to use my car for everything because it takes 4-6 months to get a golf cart now!
Old 03-16-2022, 12:06 PM

To me it makes no sense to spend at least $40k to buy an electric car even if I could afford to which I can't. We have a 2007 Chevy HHR and a 2008 Saturn Aura which had a combined cost of less than $10k, purchased used. They both have the same 4 cylinder engine and both get 34 to 35 mpg. on the highway. Buying a used hybrid or electric car would be a gamble because of the cost of replacing the battery pack which could fail. The gas powered cars will last much longer if maintained. At this stage in our lives we do not want to finance a vehicle purchase so a new hybrid or electric, or gas car purchase, is out of the question
Old 03-16-2022, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
Hug a tree or hug your wallet, we have more efficient vehicles because people want them,, they make sense from more than one perspective, I would like to replace my old but so far reliable Honda with a hybrid of some sort posible an electric, many factors to consider, everyone weighs things differently
I believe the reason we have "more efficient" vehicles is because our gov mandated it, period. When we first went to catalytic converters on cars, we found that many Japanese vehicles could pass our emission tests without the converters. Just a point of trivia. I do not believe that MOST folks make changes based on what is better for the environment. Most base their decisions on personal economics. Our lower income folks live a middle class lifestyle because of discount products such as you find at Walmart or Sam's. A point of fact is that our poverty level folks live a lifestyle equivalent to the European middle class.
I would wager (if I was a gambler) that MOST Americans would choose a cheap priced gas guzzler over an expensive priced clean energy car.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
To me it makes no sense to spend at least $40k to buy an electric car even if I could afford to which I can't. We have a 2007 Chevy HHR and a 2008 Saturn Aura which had a combined cost of less than $10k, purchased used. They both have the same 4 cylinder engine and both get 34 to 35 mpg. on the highway. Buying a used hybrid or electric car would be a gamble because of the cost of replacing the battery pack which could fail. The gas powered cars will last much longer if maintained. At this stage in our lives we do not want to finance a vehicle purchase so a new hybrid or electric, or gas car purchase, is out of the question
It is also ridiculous to believe that offering a tax credit for purchasing an EV is any incentive to those that do not itemize or even pay any taxes to begin with. Tell me that the gov will pay for my EV, not give me tax credit and I might consider it.
If everyone is so hot on using less oil then why don't they put electric charging strips in every lane of every highway so the batteries can be charged as you drive? Until a battery pack can be made cheaply that will get you four miles on a charge AND recharge in a matter of a few minutes, an electric car is only good for the inner city, or short commutes to work. Like I have said before, long lines sitting for hours on the side of the road waiting to charge their vehicles for a couple of hours is not feasible.
Do I care about the air quality? Well the air quality is better now than when I was a kid and we have a larger population and more fossil fueled machines. Want make the air cleaner, start with banning all AIR travel on anything other than balloons.

Last edited by Byte1; 03-16-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,164 Times in 5,391 Posts

Quote:
It is also ridiculous to believe that offering a tax credit for purchasing an EV is any incentive to those that do not itemize or even pay any taxes to begin with. Tell me that the gov will pay for my EV, not give me tax credit and I might consider it.
If everyone is so hot on using less oil then why don't they put electric charging strips in every lane of every highway so the batteries can be charged as you drive? Until a battery pack can be made cheaply that will get you four miles on a charge AND recharge in a matter of a few minutes, an electric car is only good for the inner city, or short commutes to work. Like I have said before, long lines sitting for hours on the side of the road waiting to charge their vehicles for a couple of hours is not feasible.
Do I care about the air quality? Well the air quality is better now than when I was a kid and we have a larger population and more fossil fueled machines. Want make the air cleaner, start with banning all AIR travel on anything other than balloons.
Agreed. Not about to have an electric car for long trips when we have to sit and sit waiting on a charge. For now hybrid makes a lot more sense.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,214 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysblue View Post
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
My cuss words are a tad bit stronger than yours.... I can't post them here...
Old 03-16-2022, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life View Post
Thanks Brandon!
Just a hint. When you thank someone you should include the post that you are referring to.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,132 Posts

Quote:
Not to be argumentative, BUT today we already have more fuel efficient vehicles than we did 30-40 years ago. It's interesting how someone can rationalize.....but, but, but hybrids only use fossil part of the time.
I have decided to get a battery operated vehicle and install a gas generator in it so that I can go further. Of course, I am only going to use a "little" fossil fuel, therefore I am doing my thing in support of the tree huggers.....
You are absolutely being argumentative. Nowhere have I said that I think we should eliminate all fossil fuels. That's because - I don't think we should, and I don't think we can.

I -do- think we should try and come up with sensible, pragmatic, and (eventually) cost-efficient alternatives to petroleum, and make more use of those alternatives so that we don't have to rely exclusively on petroleum. Mama taught me not to put all my eggs in the same basket. I happen to agree with mama.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Remember when gas prices were a little over $4.00/gal in 2008
and just a little over $2.00/gal in 2020?
I just filled up at the Circle K on 441 across the street from Wawa today. I paid $4.09/gallon. If I had an "easy pay" card I would've paid $3.99/gallon.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forebubba View Post
There are more than 9000 open permits in the USA approved to drill oil but oil companies are not using them, why ?
Because just owning a lease does not mean they can start producing today.

How many open leases were there last year?

Is there infrastructure in the area of these open leases or are they in the buttcrack of nowhere and the reservoir hasn't even been logged yet?

Each lease also has a use-it-or-lose-it clause. There is essentially earnest money that has to be fronted to cover all the government red tape and environmental impact studies.

Not only that, what type of oil is it? More heavy, high sulpher, high salt water content reservoirs don't really push the needle either.

The 9000 open leases is a talking point that doesn't reflect anything. The chances are those leases are not profitable or least not profitable without hundreds of millions in infrastructure buildout.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:42 PM
Veteran member

I won't do an easy pay credit card because you have to give them access to your bank account. Just another chance for it to be hacked.

Warning to those who do :::::: Someday you'll wake up and find your account emptied.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
As John Lennon might say

“Imagine” if our Gov would promote and subsidize oil drilling, speed up building transportation pipelines, and invest in technology to convert coal to a clean fuel.
Gas would be $1 gallon and home gas and elec bills would drop.

Inflation would be history, national debt soon paid back from energy export sales, and the USA would be the energy powerhouse of the world for the next 100 years.
And we’re all this magic energy going to come from? We are like number 10 in untapped oil reserves.
Closed Thread

Tags
$$$, cuss, gas, word

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.