I really need help now... I really need help now... - Page 2 - Talk of The Villages Florida

I really need help now...

Reply
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 08-02-2026, 09:15 AM
Tvflguy's Avatar
Tvflguy Tvflguy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 915
Thanks: 489
Thanked 1,809 Times in 526 Posts
Default

OP here. Thanks all. I will contact Chessari and Zoysia Green tomorrow. Give me hope. Phew.
  #17  
Old 08-02-2026, 09:15 AM
Packer Fan's Avatar
Packer Fan Packer Fan is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 840
Thanks: 484
Thanked 621 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Don't use Chessari, they don't spray for anything after removing the old grass, and it will come back in the new. Then when you call them, they won't return your call until after the 30 day warranty is up, if at all.
__________________
Packer Fan
Retired
Village of Hillsborough
FROG, 10 years in the Making
World Traveler
From Oak Creek, WI
  #18  
Old 08-02-2026, 09:55 AM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,841
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
I hate the grass as well……if it’s any consolation, even the Agricultural Extension office of the University of Florida says grass is very difficult to grow in this state.

If you were to re sod, you could look at the “ProVista”varietal of St Augustine Grass or the “Viridian” varietal. They are Glyphosate “tolerant” meaning that they can take some applications of glyphosate so that the weeds, such as Crabgrass, Torpedo and Bermuda growing in the St Aug. will die but not the St. Aug.

This video might help


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXi0IgV-SE
If or since grass is so difficult to grow in Florida, then why is The Villages management so dead set against rock yards and artificial grass yards. They could save money for Villagers by encouraging rock and artificial grass yards. Management just encourages the Ill conceived idea that Florida is "just like" up north. Just PRETEND that your grass is the nice soft and easy to cut and grow grass like up north. Pretend like alligators are "cute and harmless". Just PRETEND that the summer heat can't kill you. Just PRETEND that poisonous snakes are rare here. Forget that hurricanes are potentially getting stronger.
  #19  
Old 08-02-2026, 10:58 AM
Smalley's Avatar
Smalley Smalley is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 433
Thanks: 800
Thanked 316 Times in 156 Posts
Default

We're fighting with torpedo weeds in our flower beds. (We live in a villa without a lawn). The stuff is so tough to get rid of. We hand weed and are careful to dig deeply and get the root ball and the side root branches. So far, it has to be done weekly or every 10 days and it just keeps coming back Our attitude it; we will beat this!!! Tomorrow morning is another weeding time. If you're not out there weeding by 8:00 or so, it gets much too hot and sunny so best to get it done first thing.
  #20  
Old 08-02-2026, 11:21 AM
BookerBo BookerBo is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Hawkins - Fairfax, VA - Tampa, FL
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If or since grass is so difficult to grow in Florida, then why is The Villages management so dead set against rock yards and artificial grass yards. They could save money for Villagers by encouraging rock and artificial grass yards. Management just encourages the Ill conceived idea that Florida is "just like" up north. Just PRETEND that your grass is the nice soft and easy to cut and grow grass like up north. Pretend like alligators are "cute and harmless". Just PRETEND that the summer heat can't kill you. Just PRETEND that poisonous snakes are rare here. Forget that hurricanes are potentially getting stronger.
They say that the drainage is calculated based on runoff zones and absorbing zones. So its sized to fit the conditions, not sized for changes. if everyone changed to rock, less would absorb and more would become runoff and supposedly overwhelm the drainage system. Probably should have designed the system for worse case versus ideal conditions.
  #21  
Old 08-02-2026, 01:02 PM
Miboater Miboater is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Village of Hawkins
Posts: 315
Thanks: 14
Thanked 176 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
We're fighting with torpedo weeds in our flower beds. (We live in a villa without a lawn). The stuff is so tough to get rid of. We hand weed and are careful to dig deeply and get the root ball and the side root branches. So far, it has to be done weekly or every 10 days and it just keeps coming back Our attitude it; we will beat this!!! Tomorrow morning is another weeding time. If you're not out there weeding by 8:00 or so, it gets much too hot and sunny so best to get it done first thing.
I had some torpedo grass in my backyard. When they were digging up my yard for the pool I could see the root system of the torpedo grass. There were root runners that were at least 10 feet long. You may think you are pulling everything up but if it keeps coming up back every week I would think you you are not getting everything. I would suggest spraying it with some vegetation killer as that seems to work for a month or so and it will save your back.
  #22  
Old 08-02-2026, 02:29 PM
Pondboy Pondboy is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Hammock @ Fenney
Posts: 518
Thanks: 70
Thanked 640 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If or since grass is so difficult to grow in Florida, then why is The Villages management so dead set against rock yards and artificial grass yards. They could save money for Villagers by encouraging rock and artificial grass yards. Management just encourages the Ill conceived idea that Florida is "just like" up north. Just PRETEND that your grass is the nice soft and easy to cut and grow grass like up north. Pretend like alligators are "cute and harmless". Just PRETEND that the summer heat can't kill you. Just PRETEND that poisonous snakes are rare here. Forget that hurricanes are potentially getting stronger.
Petition your CDD Commissioners if you want the guidelines changed for your districts ! Grass is over rated. Lawn chemicals and all the dollars and water that go into maintaining a lawn……crazy!
  #23  
Old 08-02-2026, 07:37 PM
Dexterconfetti Dexterconfetti is offline
Newbie
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 38
Thanks: 69
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default Won’t work

It’s spread by stolons/runners on top of the grass, but the roots dive down into the grass and grow.
As soon as you pull it out it’ll start growing again. Trust me on that.������

Last edited by Dexterconfetti; 08-02-2026 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spelling error
  #24  
Old 08-03-2026, 05:22 AM
wayneman wayneman is offline
Bronze Member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 101
Thanks: 6
Thanked 67 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
In the Spring I noticed that we had 'torpedo grass' coming into our front lawn. Slowly it grew into more areas. It's primarily located in the lawn in front of our home - which is zoysia grass. The sides and back and not impacted too badly.

I did a lot of research and found the best killer of torpedo grass is 'Quniclorac' or Drive XLR8. I bought both online months ago along with a substance to allow the mixture to stick to the leaves. And a nice powered sprayer. Did about 3 applications over the last 10 weeks or so (2 week intervals). Was out of town the last couple weeks, and, the torpedo grass is back with a vengence. I know that it takes time and more applications, but...I think I'll now give up the DIY. I really don't trust 'lawn care companies' a lot, but now I guess I'm in search for the best. We have used Dean's before for our lawncare, fert and cutting. But it's been years now.

Perhaps I will get a lot of generic feedback - but I would like to get names of a few VERY REPUTABLE firms around The Villages to help me eradicate this stuff. Only getting worse.
OR - at the proper time, take out all the affected zoysia in front and put in new zoysia sod.

Please help... TIA
I have a new philosophy with grass here in the Villages. If it’s green, let it grow. Otherwise replace with rocks if allowed. There is a reason Arizona has no grass.
  #25  
Old 08-03-2026, 06:12 AM
bark4me bark4me is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 408
Thanks: 336
Thanked 187 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
In the Spring I noticed that we had 'torpedo grass' coming into our front lawn. Slowly it grew into more areas. It's primarily located in the lawn in front of our home - which is zoysia grass. The sides and back and not impacted too badly.

I did a lot of research and found the best killer of torpedo grass is 'Quniclorac' or Drive XLR8. I bought both online months ago along with a substance to allow the mixture to stick to the leaves. And a nice powered sprayer. Did about 3 applications over the last 10 weeks or so (2 week intervals). Was out of town the last couple weeks, and, the torpedo grass is back with a vengence. I know that it takes time and more applications, but...I think I'll now give up the DIY. I really don't trust 'lawn care companies' a lot, but now I guess I'm in search for the best. We have used Dean's before for our lawncare, fert and cutting. But it's been years now.

Perhaps I will get a lot of generic feedback - but I would like to get names of a few VERY REPUTABLE firms around The Villages to help me eradicate this stuff. Only getting worse.
OR - at the proper time, take out all the affected zoysia in front and put in new zoysia sod.

Please help... TIA
Use Glyphosate. I had torpedo grass and used it. Killed it in 1 week. Be sure to only spray the torpedo grass because it will kill your other grasses.
  #26  
Old 08-03-2026, 06:16 AM
bark4me bark4me is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 408
Thanks: 336
Thanked 187 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
I really hate FL lawns...

What would you recommend as the replacement sod?
Concrete then paint it green!
  #27  
Old 08-03-2026, 06:46 AM
G.R.I.T.S. G.R.I.T.S. is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 718
Thanks: 214
Thanked 532 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
If or since grass is so difficult to grow in Florida, then why is The Villages management so dead set against rock yards and artificial grass yards. They could save money for Villagers by encouraging rock and artificial grass yards. Management just encourages the Ill conceived idea that Florida is "just like" up north. Just PRETEND that your grass is the nice soft and easy to cut and grow grass like up north. Pretend like alligators are "cute and harmless". Just PRETEND that the summer heat can't kill you. Just PRETEND that poisonous snakes are rare here. Forget that hurricanes are potentially getting stronger.
It could be that gallons of weed killer would be released into the aquifer because homeowners are not willing to pay exorbitant rates for weed pulling and/or are unwilling/unable to do it themselves. We have a rock yard in our village that has gray gravel. Looks like a roadway. Ugly doesn’t begin to describe it.
__________________
American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
  #28  
Old 08-03-2026, 07:27 AM
bark4me bark4me is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 408
Thanks: 336
Thanked 187 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Don't use Chessari, they don't spray for anything after removing the old grass, and it will come back in the new. Then when you call them, they won't return your call until after the 30 day warranty is up, if at all.
Used them before. Wouldn't recommend them
  #29  
Old 08-03-2026, 07:38 AM
Danube Danube is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: May 2024
Posts: 387
Thanks: 71
Thanked 164 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneman View Post
There is a reason Arizona has no grass.
Are you sure about that?
  #30  
Old 08-03-2026, 09:32 AM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,841
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
It could be that gallons of weed killer would be released into the aquifer because homeowners are not willing to pay exorbitant rates for weed pulling and/or are unwilling/unable to do it themselves. We have a rock yard in our village that has gray gravel. Looks like a roadway. Ugly doesn’t begin to describe it.
Low maintenance and LOW cost does begin to describe it. People from "up North", where it is EASY to grow soft luxurious grass, have an UNREALISTIC ASSUMPTION that they bring that type of GRASS conditions to Florida. "Different strokes for different folks" and different grass growing for different latitudes. Your attitude should change with your latitude (And soil conditions).
Reply

Tags
grass, lawn, lot, zoysia, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.