Coconut oil and Belly Fat etc.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 857 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
BTW, the dairy industry does the same thing. The FDA will not allow them to make any claims on their products like, "Helps build strong bones." That's because they don't have any valid studies to prove it. But the industry knows how to incentivize others to do it for them. For example, a dietitian or other third party might state in a newspaper column that, "Milk is rich in calcium." Now that may be a true statement but the problem is that consumers therefore assume that it helps build strong bones. Consumers get scammed like this repeatedly.
And the wheat and corn industry do the same thing with help from the government. We are being poisoned by genetically altered wheat and corn syrup added to almost everything today. The wheat and corn lobbies are so strong in Washington that our government will never go against them.

In fact, the government subsidizes the people that grow this stuff and promote it's use through that incredibly inaccurate food pyramid that was foisted upon us a few years back. Not much has done more to harm the health of Americans than the food pyramid.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #32  
Old 01-11-2015, 08:52 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,404
Thanks: 3,192
Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,015 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
And the wheat and corn industry do the same thing with help from the government. We are being poisoned by genetically altered wheat and corn syrup added to almost everything today. The wheat and corn lobbies are so strong in Washington that our government will never go against them.

In fact, the government subsidizes the people that grow this stuff and promote it's use through that incredibly inaccurate food pyramid that was foisted upon us a few years back. Not much has done more to harm the health of Americans than the food pyramid.
I must be the only person on the planet who believes that genetically engineering plants for food doesn't harm your body or alter your genetics when you eat the genetically engineered plants.

Genetic changes occur all of the time in plants and in all living organisms.. Plants set up is not our set up. We can't grow more leaves or produce more flowers. It just doesn't work like that.

I know I am ****ing into the wind on this one, but I turned 75 last month and I feel like saying this.

Carry on.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #33  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,650
Thanks: 1,317
Thanked 174 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
In fact, the government subsidizes the people that grow this stuff and promote it's use through that incredibly inaccurate food pyramid that was foisted upon us a few years back. Not much has done more to harm the health of Americans than the food pyramid.
The government food pyramid
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #34  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:25 PM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 857 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I must be the only person on the planet who believes that genetically engineering plants for food doesn't harm your body or alter your genetics when you eat the genetically engineered plants.

Genetic changes occur all of the time in plants and in all living organisms.. Plants set up is not our set up. We can't grow more leaves or produce more flowers. It just doesn't work like that.

I know I am ****ing into the wind on this one, but I turned 75 last month and I feel like saying this.

Carry on.
Yes, it's true Gracie that genetic changes occur in living organisms naturally. But we're talking about man made genetic changes for the purposes of growing more food and allowing it to be preserved for longer periods of time. The genetic changes that are made by man are very different than those that occur naturally.

One also has to take into consideration that early man did not have access to grains, fruits and vegetables all the time. These are seasonal plants and before preservation methods, refrigeration and overnight transportation of food, people only ate these things for a few months (sometimes only a few weeks) per year.

It's difficult to deny that we have an obesity problem in this country and personally, I believe that there are several causes. But, one of the causes has to be the increase in wheat and especially, corn syrup consumption.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #35  
Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
Excellent link but it will fall on deaf ears for the following two reasons:

1) Many overweight people don't like whole grains so the choice, as they see it, is to either eat highly processed grains or no grain at all.

2) Many overweight people don't like dark-green-leafy vegetables and don't like cruciferous vegetables.

Therefore, it's not a matter of choosing the best that science has to offer, it's a matter of choosing what (to them) tastes acceptable. And you can't beat the taste of oils and fatty animal protein.
  #36  
Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Nope. You are the one who made the claim that the studies could have been funded by the coconut oil industry. Go back up there and read your second paragraph in post 11. So I am waiting for you to back up your statement with something substantive.
Yes, you sort of got it right when you said, "could have been".

My first sentence was in the form of a question as follows: "Was it the coconut-oil industry that sponsored the study?"

My second sentence is asking a question too. "It's very possible because who else would care?"

It seems you attempted to turn two questions into a positive statement.

I think it's likely some entity along the supply chain with a financial interest. That doesn't mean I'm saying positively that it is.
  #37  
Old 01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
CFrance, glad you are not backing down!

Our nation developed a weight problem in the 60's with the introduction of the food pyramid. Check out childhood obesity rates from that time forward.

They were not increasing protein intake, they were increasing carb intake as the foundation of a "healthy" diet. That is when diabetes diagnoses started to spike, heart disease started to spike and our average weight soared.

The average American adult male today is some 30 lbs heavier than in the 50's. The average femaie is 22 lbs heavier.

Next we cut fat. Still disease and weight soared. Then sugar became the culprit. With more increases in disease.

The western diet, high in processed and unprocessed carbs is the most unhealthy diet of any continent on earth. The Eskimos who eat nothing but protein and fish blubber have less heart disease than we do.

For a very eye opening book, read "Food Rules", it is very good research and this man knows his stuff. If you look at our diets historically, you will see the obvious link.
It's only obvious if you cherry pick historical events. One could also make the case that the weight problem started in the 60s with the introduction of fast food restaurants. And the whole enterprise rested on a foundation of animal protein. Even in full service restaurants, which also grew in numbers starting in the 60s, the main attraction has always been animal protein. Around the same time, outdoor family barbeques became common and featured hamburgers, hotdogs etc.. After World War II there was a long period of prosperity during which time people ate more animal protein indoors as well.

Your statement above says they were not increasing protein intake. That may be true because most people were already eating way too much animal protein and heart disease was on the rise.
  #38  
Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,650
Thanks: 1,317
Thanked 174 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
My first sentence was in the form of a question as follows: "Was it the coconut-oil industry that sponsored the study?" My second sentence is asking a question too. "It's very possible because who else would care?"
You certainly implied that the coconut-oil industry sponsored the study. And now you're backing away from that implication.
Good, that means we're finally all in agreement with CFrance's statement that the study wasn't sponsored by the coconut-oil industry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL;99***3
Excellent link but it will fall on deaf ears for the following two reasons:
1) Many overweight people don't like whole grains so the choice, as they see it, is to either eat highly processed grains or no grain at all.
2) Many overweight people don't like dark-green-leafy vegetables and don't like cruciferous vegetables.
These are sweeping generalizations!
Can we please see something substantive to back up your statements.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #39  
Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
And the wheat and corn industry do the same thing with help from the government. We are being poisoned by genetically altered wheat and corn syrup added to almost everything today. The wheat and corn lobbies are so strong in Washington that our government will never go against them.
I agree. I no longer eat corn, corn syrup or processed wheat. I eat bread made from various organic sprouted grains.

Quote:
In fact, the government subsidizes the people that grow this stuff and promote it's use through that incredibly inaccurate food pyramid that was foisted upon us a few years back. Not much has done more to harm the health of Americans than the food pyramid.
Personally, I can't blame the food pyramid for anything because I never really took much notice of it until sometime around the late 80s when I read a health book that was criticizing it. Anyway, back then, I was always interested in whole grains.
  #40  
Old 01-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You certainly implied that the coconut-oil industry sponsored the study. And now you're backing away from that implication.
Good, that means we're finally all in agreement with CFrance's statement that the study wasn't sponsored by the coconut-oil industry!
I'm not backing away from the study possibly being sponsored by some commercial interest, and that was the thrust of my original questions.

Quote:
These are sweeping generalizations!
Can we please see something substantive to back up your statements.
There was nothing sweeping about it. I said "many", not "most" or "all". This was the result of my own observations.

Speaking of proof, it seems many of you who are critical of me don't mind that the OP has not presented any proof.
  #41  
Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I must be the only person on the planet who believes that genetically engineering plants for food doesn't harm your body or alter your genetics when you eat the genetically engineered plants.

Genetic changes occur all of the time in plants and in all living organisms.. Plants set up is not our set up. We can't grow more leaves or produce more flowers. It just doesn't work like that.

I know I am ****ing into the wind on this one, but I turned 75 last month and I feel like saying this.

Carry on.
Some people, like me, might wonder why large corporations think they know better than nature, when it comes to the basic DNA structure of plant life. There's no long term independent testing or studies for biotech goods. The only testing is by the companies involved and we have to take their word for it that the products are safe for us and the environment.

GMO crops, that contain their own strong pesticides, can pollinate with other plants. As more plants kill more than the insects that were originally targeted, it could set off a dangerous chain reaction in the environment.

It's true that there are genetic changes that happen naturally in the environment. But they happen very very slowly over tens of thousands of years. When it happens slowly, animals and humans have tens of thousands of years to adapt to it. So a symbiotic balance or ecological balance can be maintained. What industry is doing is nothing like that.
  #42  
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,650
Thanks: 1,317
Thanked 174 Times in 121 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
I came across this article and thought it was worth sharing for those who are wondering about the health benefits of coconut oil and are worried about its effects on heart disease and belly fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Speaking of proof, it seems many of you who are critical of me don't mind that the OP has not presented any proof.
Why would we expect proof from the OP?
She is merely presenting information for our consideration.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-13-2015 at 12:28 AM.
  #43  
Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,599
Thanks: 228
Thanked 759 Times in 351 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Some people, like me, might wonder why large corporations think they know better than nature, when it comes to the basic DNA structure of plant life. There's no long term independent testing or studies for biotech goods. The only testing is by the companies involved and we have to take their word for it that the products are safe for us and the environment.

GMO crops, that contain their own strong pesticides, can pollinate with other plants. As more plants kill more than the insects that were originally targeted, it could set off a dangerous chain reaction in the environment.

It's true that there are genetic changes that happen naturally in the environment. But they happen very very slowly over tens of thousands of years. When it happens slowly, animals and humans have tens of thousands of years to adapt to it. So a symbiotic balance or ecological balance can be maintained. What industry is doing is nothing like that.
It really hurts me, but I have to agree with you on this one. Don't faint. I won't eat that %#*& either.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #44  
Old 01-13-2015, 01:51 PM
lightworker888's Avatar
lightworker888 lightworker888 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Stratford ON, The Villages
Posts: 925
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Thank you Bare,

and that is my purpose in all the articles that I share. I usually feel that the information is worth considering and I resonate with it at some level.

VPL I too have to agree with your comments on GMO and I find it so in humane to get 3rd world countries to give up their cultural grains and have them plant GMO crops. I just read that Monsanto has had a major decline in this last quarter so maybe consumers are getting wise and are purchasing more consciously.

Hopefully,
LW888
__________________
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" Lao-tzu
  #45  
Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Why would we expect proof from the OP?
She is merely presenting information for our consideration.
Not true. Definite health claims were made but not backed up by anything other than nonfunctional links.

Notice the double standard. If I had been the OP on this thread, I would have been grilled and asked to prove my statements.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.