Osteoporosis

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Osteoporosis

Ladies. What do you take for osteoporosis? I've been on Evista which has done nothing prior to that I did Forteo injections in stomach everyday for 2 yrs. My Dr just called. My numbers are so bad. Spine -4.1 etc... I need classes to start up again here, need gyms to open. All I'm doing is sitting around as it gets worse and worse. Suggestions??
Old 08-18-2020, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,663 Times in 3,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Ladies. What do you take for osteoporosis? I've been on Evista which has done nothing prior to that I did Forteo injections in stomach everyday for 2 yrs. My Dr just called. My numbers are so bad. Spine -4.1 etc... I need classes to start up again here, need gyms to open. All I'm doing is sitting around as it gets worse and worse. Suggestions??
I don't take anything for it. I exercise and try to get plenty of vitamin-and-mineral-rich foods in my daily diet.

You don't need a gym or "classes" to get into weight training. You just need you, deciding that you need to do it, and then you need you, to actually do it.

You can weight train while you watch TV. You can do cardio from the comfort of your living room.

For strength training, grab a couple of cans of soup; one in each hand. Hold your arms down at your sides. Slowly lift them up to the SIDE so your hands are as high as your shoulders. Hold for a count of 10. Slowly lower them back down. Repeat 10 times. Now do the same thing, but lift your arms out in front of you instead of to the side of you.

For core training, you can do situps, pushups, planks, one-armed planks. To add balance exercise to core training, you can do bird-dogs. You can look up all this stuff on the internet.

If you can only do 10 seconds of any of these things, Great. Do 10 seconds of whatever ones you can do. Then tomorrow do 15 seconds of them. Keep going til you can comfortably do 2 minutes of each.

At that point you will have developed a routine. Congratulations, you just passed the class.

Now get to work.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

No. I do need something its really bad. Numbers awful. Sometimes as in my case its hereditary as I'm a gym rat. I do need gym and osteo classes too. JS anyone tried reclast? Iv?
Old 08-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,769 Posts

Strontium support 2 (just the health food variety not the injections given in hospitals), liquid calcium magnesium, and importantly, weight exercises. As a gym rat, increase weights to the point you can only do seven repetitions. At home dumbbells. Should feel sore if you are improving but not too sore, just pleasantly awoke muscles. Start low weights and gradually build up so to avoid small fractures. But you know this already I bet. And walk, walk, walk. As you say though, you may need the injections. You can research your numbers yourself and see if you are critical.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,493 Times in 2,564 Posts

Quote:
The best medication is movement.
Any form of exercise. Walking, riding a bicycle, golf, do some line dancing with Youtube, even daily housework is better than sitting around.
I am not a fan of it, but the best my back ever felt, was when I swam regularly
Both wife and I keep mobile, and have never needed a gym to exercise.

Last edited by Two Bills; 08-18-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

What is serotonin support?
Old 08-18-2020, 09:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
What is serotonin support?
Velvet said strontium support, not serotonin support. Strontium is a chemical element that acts in the body similarly to calcium, but not exactly. It is used to support bone growth and increase bone density.

You'd want to check with your doctor to make sure it's appropriate for you to try, and as far as I know you can get it over the counter as a supplement.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

I suppose you dont need Dr approval if it's over the counter? Strontium support? Interested in what other women are taking
Old 08-19-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Prolia injection twice a year, tolerate it well. I do a yoga program (at home) for osteoporosis- if you google New York Times yoga osteoporosis they list the 12 poses- very quick. Also vitamin D and 3 dairy servings daily- much to my delight! Best of luck
Old 08-19-2020, 02:46 PM
Veteran member

Has the prolia injection built any bone? I was so disappointed when I injected myself for 2 yrs with Forteo, went to gym almost everyday and was told no improvement
Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM

If by any chance you are taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism...osteoporosis is a side effect. Also try to add K2 vitamins to help your calcium intake to go to your bones and not your blood.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 PM

Do some research on collagen. Make sure you read about different vitamins and minerals, as some interfer with others, so they need to be taken at different times. I believe you need Type I and III as the most important.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Forteo for 2 years. Just started Prolia injections every six months. Forteo worked for my spine. Not for my hips, hence the Prolia now. I walk, lift weights, golf. Endocrinologist said my vitamin D is low due to diabetes, so I take 50K iu of D every two weeks. Risk factors besides diabetes are hypothyroidism, long term treatment with a PPI, northern European descent and family history of osteporosis.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 08-19-2020, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
I suppose you dont need Dr approval if it's over the counter? Strontium support? Interested in what other women are taking
I didn't say you needed doctor approval. You don't need "approval" to take over the counter meds. But it's still a good idea to check with the doctor first. He's the one who manages your care, the one who prescribes whatever meds you take. I'd also check with the pharmacist to make sure that there aren't any potential adverse reactions with any other medications you're already taking.

I would never just run out and buy a supplement, without first checking to make sure it's safe for ME to take. Just because it's over the counter doesn't mean it's adviseable for YOUR situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
osteoporosis, worse, bad, spine, classes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.