Steak

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2022, 11:07 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
I agree about home cooking. What I have started doing is putting a cast iron skillet on the grill. I get to 400deg and put a nice sear on the steak.
I have a propane turkey fryer and put our cast iron skillet on that. It gets almost red hot. Throw ribeye or filet steaks on for 1 minute on each side and you have the perfect Pittsburgh style steak. Crispy on the outside and rare inside. cut with a fork.... MMMMMMM

Old 09-17-2022, 11:24 AM
Default Steak dinner

We just went to the Oak Restaurant on 44 it was the best steak we had very tender, and juicy flavor. I recommend this place price very reasonable too.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:32 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

My measure of a good steak house is a Prime Cut Bone in Ribeye. Have found neither in the Villages. Would not be surprised if the Village Restaurants do sous-vide.. real steak houses do not. Most Village Restaurants do not offer thick bone-in ribeyes. Also, monitor the quality. Locals follow the misleading labels like Premium Choice, Premium, or simply choice. Or they do not indicate whether it is USDA or not (be careful of a certain meat market in Wildwood that advertises Prime, but it is not USDA and certainly not Prime). Expand your local "area" to include Ocala and greater Orlando. As already mentioned, mark's is top notch. While high end chains, Flemings and Capital Grill in Orlando make a great steak in a real steak house atmosphere. I have not sampled Charlie;s in Tampa, but understand they are worth trying as well.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:44 AM
Default Several Choices

Let's focus on the question!

The Chophouse at Lake Sumter does a fine job.

The same for Prima at Brownwood.

The most interesting steak in TheVillages is the Chateaubriand, a tenderloin strip, at Lopez Legacy CC. It is also a great bargain.

The Lopez restaurant is owned and operated by the same family which has Prima and Havana CC. Their restaurants rarely disappoint.

Having answered the question, I'll offer my opinion on how to cook a steak and which steak to cook.

1. Buy a Porterhouse steak cut a minimum thickness of 1&1/4", preferably 1&1/2". The Porterhouse is the first two or three cuts from the rear of the short loin. As the cuts progress forward on the short loin, the steaks become T bones. The Porterhouse has the N.Y. strip on one side and the filet on the other. Try to get the 1st cut. If you ask the butcher nicely, he may cut one from a side of beef in the cooler or save you one when he next cuts up a side. If he does, remember him at Christmas. Fresh Market is a good place to shop for steaks. On the first Porterhouse, the last inch or two of the bone forming the "T" will not be attached at the bottom.

2. Have the steak at room temperature. If it is chilled or, heaven forbid, frozen, it will cook unevenly due to the presence of the bone. Pat dry and season to your preference. The cooking techniques mentioned by others using a cold or frozen steak will work for a boneless cut, but not one with a bone.

3. Use an oven-proof frying pan or skillet of some thickness as it will hold the temperature better than one which is thin. Add a small amount of oil with a high smoking point. Heat the pan or skillet to a high temperature. Place the steak in the pan and, using thongs, move it around so that it is evenly seared and has a nice appearance. With the thongs, hold the steak upright and sear the edges. Place the uncooked side down and sear it. However, do not sear it to the same degree as the first side as it will continue to sear in the next step. Do not overcook. You are only searing the steak for appearance and to seal the surfaces.

4. Have the oven preheated to 400 or 425 deg. I use 400 to minimize spattering of the oven. Place the pan with the steak in the oven and bake for 3&1/2 to 4&1/2 minutes. After you do this a few times, you'll learn the time which produces the results you like. We like our steaks to be rare to medium rare. I've found that 3&1/2 minutes works well.

Do not overcook! If you are uncertain or it is your first time, make a cut in the steak after removing it from the oven. If you find it to be too rare, put it back in the oven.

5. If you want a sauce, make it in the pan while the steak is resting. Certainly, no good steak requires a sauce. We prefer Steak au Poivre. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of brandy or cognac. Let the alcohol boil off. Add lots of fresh ground pepper, a pinch of salt, and a cup of cream. Bring the cream to a low boil, whisking constantly until it thickens and will coat the back of a spoon. Add a splash of brandy or cognac, whisk, and set aside while you cut the steak. If necessary, whisk the sauce again before ladling it over the steak.

6. Whether or not you bother with a sauce, let the steak rest on a cutting board (not in the pan) for a couple of minutes, This allows the juices to be absorbed in the steak and avoids having a plate swimming in bloody liquid. If you have a monster appetite, eat all of it yourself. If not, cut the two sides from the bone and serve the filet, the small side, to your significant other. If you want to be fancy and make a beautiful presentation, cut the steaks cross-wise into 1/2' strips and fan them out on the plate.

This is the classic French method for cooking steak and is employed at the finest restaurants. You'll end up with a steak that is crusty on the outside and progressively cooked from each side towards the center. Once you learn the technique, you'l find it makes a perfectly cooked steak and is quite easy. Certainly, it is less trouble than firing up a grill or filling the house with smoke from using the broiler.

Before you criticize my choice of the Porterhouse, you should know that I'm an ag school graduate and that classes in meat grading were included in the curriculum. I spent a fair amount of time in the cooling rooms at slaughter houses with USDA inspectors. Anyone who has done this will second my recommendation of the Porterhouse. It's hard to get a bad Porterhouse. When we were in California, we lived in an area with many dairy farms. I used to buy Porterhouses at a small Mexican market that were cut from older milk cows being culled from the herd. Those steaks were so large, they fell over the sides of the plate. Dinner guests would rave over the steaks we served. My wife would be embarrassed and be mad at me if I told the guests the source of the steaks.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:50 AM

Visit Fresh Market on Saturdays. Buy 2 large Chateaubriand cut Filet Mignon for $25. Th best I have ever had.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,697 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
Let's focus on the question!

The Chophouse at Lake Sumter does a fine job.

The same for Prima at Brownwood.

The most interesting steak in TheVillages is the Chateaubriand, a tenderloin strip, at Lopez Legacy CC. It is also a great bargain.

The Lopez restaurant is owned and operated by the same family which has Prima and Havana CC. Their restaurants rarely disappoint.

Having answered the question, I'll offer my opinion on how to cook a steak and which steak to cook.

1. Buy a Porterhouse steak cut a minimum thickness of 1&1/4", preferably 1&1/2". The Porterhouse is the first two or three cuts from the rear of the short loin. As the cuts progress forward on the short loin, the steaks become T bones. The Porterhouse has the N.Y. strip on one side and the filet on the other. Try to get the 1st cut. If you ask the butcher nicely, he may cut one from a side of beef in the cooler or save you one when he next cuts up a side. If he does, remember him at Christmas. Fresh Market is a good place to shop for steaks. On the first Porterhouse, the last inch or two of the bone forming the "T" will not be attached at the bottom.

2. Have the steak at room temperature. If it is chilled or, heaven forbid, frozen, it will cook unevenly due to the presence of the bone. Pat dry and season to your preference. The cooking techniques mentioned by others using a cold or frozen steak will work for a boneless cut, but not one with a bone.

3. Use an oven-proof frying pan or skillet of some thickness as it will hold the temperature better than one which is thin. Add a small amount of oil with a high smoking point. Heat the pan or skillet to a high temperature. Place the steak in the pan and, using thongs, move it around so that it is evenly seared and has a nice appearance. With the thongs, hold the steak upright and sear the edges. Place the uncooked side down and sear it. However, do not sear it to the same degree as the first side as it will continue to sear in the next step. Do not overcook. You are only searing the steak for appearance and to seal the surfaces.

4. Have the oven preheated to 400 or 425 deg. I use 400 to minimize spattering of the oven. Place the pan with the steak in the oven and bake for 3&1/2 to 4&1/2 minutes. After you do this a few times, you'll learn the time which produces the results you like. We like our steaks to be rare to medium rare. I've found that 3&1/2 minutes works well.

Do not overcook! If you are uncertain or it is your first time, make a cut in the steak after removing it from the oven. If you find it to be too rare, put it back in the oven.

5. If you want a sauce, make it in the pan while the steak is resting. Certainly, no good steak requires a sauce. We prefer Steak au Poivre. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of brandy or cognac. Let the alcohol boil off. Add lots of fresh ground pepper, a pinch of salt, and a cup of cream. Bring the cream to a low boil, whisking constantly until it thickens and will coat the back of a spoon. Add a splash of brandy or cognac, whisk, and set aside while you cut the steak. If necessary, whisk the sauce again before ladling it over the steak.

6. Whether or not you bother with a sauce, let the steak rest on a cutting board (not in the pan) for a couple of minutes, This allows the juices to be absorbed in the steak and avoids having a plate swimming in bloody liquid. If you have a monster appetite, eat all of it yourself. If not, cut the two sides from the bone and serve the filet, the small side, to your significant other. If you want to be fancy and make a beautiful presentation, cut the steaks cross-wise into 1/2' strips and fan them out on the plate.

This is the classic French method for cooking steak and is employed at the finest restaurants. You'll end up with a steak that is crusty on the outside and progressively cooked from each side towards the center. Once you learn the technique, you'l find it makes a perfectly cooked steak and is quite easy. Certainly, it is less trouble than firing up a grill or filling the house with smoke from using the broiler.

Before you criticize my choice of the Porterhouse, you should know that I'm an ag school graduate and that classes in meat grading were included in the curriculum. I spent a fair amount of time in the cooling rooms at slaughter houses with USDA inspectors. Anyone who has done this will second my recommendation of the Porterhouse. It's hard to get a bad Porterhouse. When we were in California, we lived in an area with many dairy farms. I used to buy Porterhouses at a small Mexican market that were cut from older milk cows being culled from the herd. Those steaks were so large, they fell over the sides of the plate. Dinner guests would rave over the steaks we served. My wife would be embarrassed and be mad at me if I told the guests the source of the steaks.
Excellent post, and points. My thanks.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,795 Times in 5,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Not many answers to the OP’s question!

I like Mark’s Prime in Ocala and Bern’s Steakhouse in Tampa. Bern’s is supposed to be one of the best in the country and going there is a real treat and worth the drive.
I would just point out that the OP didn't mention anything about going to a restaurant for the steak.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:18 PM
Veteran member
Default Sous vide Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
Hate to burst everyone's bubble about steak houses and restaurants cooking steaks. They actually put them in a baggie and put the baggie in boiling water. They put a meat thermometer in the steak, and once it reaches the temperature desired for the level of doneness the customer wants they pull it out and sear it in a frying pan. You're basically eating boiled meat for $40 a plate.
I'm a sous vide fan, I've never been able to nail down a steak the way I like it, but when it comes to fish and pork you can't beat it. You put it in a vacuum seal bag set it for the internal temperature you want, when it done it alerts you, you cut open the bag, dry it and sear it. You don't even need a pan you can blowtorch it. It's great if you have guest over.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would just point out that the OP didn't mention anything about going to a restaurant for the steak.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
It did not even occur to me she wanted to cook. Read the post and immeditely thought of restaurants! I rarely cook.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Who has the best, juiciest, most tender filet or rib eye, available in the area?
Berns in Tampa! The end.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
If you don't mind driving to Ocala, I think that Mark's is a great place to get a steak. I find it interesting that their website shows a photo of a filet mignon, but it doesn't have a crust on it. Also, they say the filet mignon is USDA inspected, but not whether it is Choice or Prime. They offer a 7 ounce and an 11 ounce filet mignon.

For the 11 ounce filet, with a salad, potato, tax, and 20 percent tip, you will pay about $92, or $184 for two. If you plan to drink anything, the sky is the limit. Note that the Chophouse in The Villages is less expensive than Mark's.
We have been to Marks and was the best steak we have ever had but no idea of the cost at the present time
Old 09-17-2022, 05:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrys View Post
Visit Fresh Market on Saturdays. Buy 2 large Chateaubriand cut Filet Mignon for $25. Th best I have ever had.
Coincidentally, my wife went to Fresh Mkt this morning, and came home with two chateaubriands. Without doubt, they were the best steaks we’ve had here in FL. Berns is on our bucket list but we just haven’t gotten there yet. These were really outstanding steaks and we could never have enjoyed anything similar locally and for $25. Happy to hear it’s a regular Saturday sale at FM. We’ll buy them again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:42 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Sams club for home. Prime about 16 pound. Capital grille for dining out
Old 09-17-2022, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Not many answers to the OP’s question!

I like Mark’s Prime in Ocala and Bern’s Steakhouse in Tampa. Bern’s is supposed to be one of the best in the country and going there is a real treat and worth the drive.
Agree.....both are favorites although Mark's is ala carte. If you go Berns, take the kitchen tour, the wine tour and finish in the dessert room

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
steak, juiciest, tender, filet, rib

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.